Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #1

Bubble on the Roof

Roof Question and didn't want to "HI-Jack" another thread.
Intro: I'm fairly new to the Forum and to RV'ing. Last fall I bought a 1999 Four Winds 5000 Series M-28D sitting on a Ford E-450 V10 with 35k miles. My family and I are planning on a 6 month vacation starting in Sept. 2019.
RV condition: The coach, coach systems, and Ford V10 are in VG shape mechanically and visually. It appears a little old lady from Pasadena owned it. It looks like the roof has been re-covered and coated. Looking from the rear ladder position, the roof looks new, clean and white. But, when I decided to put a vent cover on the front vent, I noticed what looked like a Large Bubble (for lack of better word) between the vent cover and front of RV overhang. It's about 20" long, side to side and 14" front to rear. There doesn't appear to be any air under it; it's not torn and the roof doesn't leak. I have had the RV out in the rain and took it for a 600 mile trip to my daughters and back. (Reason I had to replace front vent cover, it blew off or exxxploded on that trip)
Now, finally my Question? Should I worry about this? (I am so far) I'm worried it will shred and blow off after so many windy miles.

Should I cut that portion out and recover with rubber roofing and seal edges with some Dicor before I leave on trip?
Or, should I just take the material with me on trip and replace when or if it shreds?
Or, should I get a professional to take and look and fix it if need be?

OR forget it and drink a cold one?

Any and all helpful and constructive

comments will be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the first person that has had this problem.

I won't have but about a week after I arrive in the States/Texas to fix the problem before I have to leave on the trip. I have reservations already set up months in advance near Glacier and in YS NP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 AM   #2

That's a big bubble and I would want to know what is causing it if it isn't an air bubble. You may want to be prepared to find a bigger problem you would like to.
One thing you could do is get some Eternabond and/or some Dicor sealant. Make a small cut so you can see what is under the bubble. Then, you can see if you have a problem. If the roof is fine, cover the cut with a piece of Eternabond and if you wish, use a little Dicor sealant around the edges.

I had a travel trailer with a rubber roof that developed a few small bubbles, and I just let them be as I could tell they were air bubbles. They didn't get larger and the roof remained very good until I sold it after 10 years. But, a large bubble you are describing would have me very concerned.

Another option...if you have or know a good RV repair shop, get it checked out by them.

Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #3

Thank you SCBWR.....The rubber roof (if that is what it is) feels like it is just not glued down; I can press and feel the roof underneath. Your idea seems to make sense to me and I will go that route. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

I would want to know more about the bubble too. And with regards to the V10, alot of folks talks about them but they aren't that bad. If this works here's a link to a mechanic I watch that talks about them. He likes to be a little silly with the intros but he's a pretty good mechanic and knows his stuff.

https://youtu.be/UTMtKv_k5uk
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

If you can feel the roof underneath, does the surface feel flat and smooth? If that's the case, once you confirm that the surface is solid and not damaged due to water or something else, you could proceed to repair it. I'd suggest doing some research to see what adhesive can be used to get the rubber glued back down and then seal the seams created by cutting with lap sealant or Eternabond.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #6

Haven't cut it yet

Thanks Charliez for the LINK; I will check it out. No problems with the V10 other than getting used to the Hi RPM's sound.

Hi SCBWR, The roof feels hard, firm under the bubble area. No soft spots and no leaks inside or discoloration on ceiling.

I won't be back in Texas until August to decide what to do about it.

I'm thinking, you are correct; I will find out what kind of adhesive or glue I can use to stick it back down. Then Eternabond and/or some Dicor sealant.

It could be ok like it is but I'm afraid to go on 10K mile trip and risk it shredding and ruining the roof. I will post my repairs in August. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #7

Does the roof bubble extend all the way back to the vent? If so, remove the vent and see if you can get to the rubber roof edge to lift up and see the plywood roof. If the wood seems solid, get some construction adhesive for wood/rubber and find a way to smear the glue between the rubber and wood using a flat stick or something. I would then use a vinyl flooring roller on top of the rubber to assist in spreading out the glue and get a good bond.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #8

Sounds like a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Does the roof bubble extend all the way back to the vent? If so, remove the vent and see if you can get to the rubber roof edge to lift up and see the plywood roof. If the wood seems solid, get some construction adhesive for wood/rubber and find a way to smear the glue between the rubber and wood using a flat stick or something. I would then use a vinyl flooring roller on top of the rubber to assist in spreading out the glue and get a good bond.

Thanks Grindstone...It does not come back all the way to the vent; it's probably 6 or 8 inches away, if I remember correctly. I'll check it out closer in August when I return to Texas. Thanks for the idea though.

Tags
roof