Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #1

Bubbles in rubber roof

We are considering purchasing a used rv that has about 10-12 bubbles in the rubber roof. That vary in size from golf ball to dime size, they appear to have air underneath. Anyone know if this means the roof will need to replaced or we should say no to this rv. There are no inside water stains or signs of leaks. Any info and comments would be appreciated. Thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
edj

Bubbles that small are really not a problem. It is not unusual to find small bubbles in the rubber roof. As long as they are not getting bigger, forget about it.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I differ on this opinion. If the manufacturer takes the time to properly install the membrane, there should be minimal bubbles. Any bubble is a potential to become a problem later, especially near an edge.

We had a 1995 Avion 5er with a rubber roof and it was 14 years old when we sold it...no roof leaks and no bubbles on the roof. They took the time to properly install the roof.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Most of those roofs have a 12 year warranty.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Read the rubber roof warranty....it covers only the membrane and no labor. The membrane is cheap compared to the labor. I'd insist on a better roof.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
We are considering purchasing a used rv that has about 10-12 bubbles in the rubber roof. That vary in size from golf ball to dime size, they appear to have air underneath. Anyone know if this means the roof will need to replaced or we should say no to this rv. There are no inside water stains or signs of leaks. Any info and comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Ask the seller if has recently recoated the rubber roof. Cheaper acrylic latex coatings are known to bubble and come off soon after they are applied.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses, a few of these bubbles are golf ball size. We spoke to a seervice tech and was told to rub the bubbles and that if any black came off the roof needed replacing. This rv is 7 years old. WE WERE TOLD IT WOULD COST ABOUT 4,000 TO REPLACE THE ROOF, DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

I'd pass on this one. Bubbles mean the adhesive is no longer holding that part of the rubber roof down. Could be the roof was washed with a cleaner that had petroleum in it.
sunshineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck finding a used RV that is perfect.

Without seeing it and knowing the history of the roof (was it improperly cleaned?) you would be taking a chance.

That said, the job of the rubber membrane is to keep out the rain and elements and apparently it is doing a good job of that since you say there are no signs of leaks and you do not mention any cracking of the rubber.

Is it perfect? No. Is it doing its job? Yes. Hey, that kinda describes me.

Like I said, good luck finding that perfect RV.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #10

I have noticed bubbles on my rubber roof also...so far no leaks...I have read that you can inject butyl rubber caulk with a syringe though I haven't tried it yet...I would think it would take a big needle. Has anybody done this? John
Rockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1
I have noticed bubbles on my rubber roof also...so far no leaks...I have read that you can inject butyl rubber caulk with a syringe though I haven't tried it yet...I would think it would take a big needle. Has anybody done this? John
If it not leaking I would leave it be and I don't think I would inject the areas you than may open a hole for a leak
ShabbyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, a few of these bubbles are golf ball size. We spoke to a seervice tech and was told to rub the bubbles and that if any black came off the roof needed replacing. This rv is 7 years old. WE WERE TOLD IT WOULD COST ABOUT 4,000 TO REPLACE THE ROOF, DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?
We paid about $3000 6 years ago to replace the rubber roof on our 26' class C we owned at the time, so $4k sounds right.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #13

Our brand new 2011 Four Winds Serrano came with bubbles in the TPO roof, some 3" or more does this mean it should be replaced? I have had a bunch of RV's but none with a TPO roof.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
As ser. mgr. I was on hundreds and hundreds of MH roofs. Many had small airbubbles under them. I bought my motorhome with several air bubbles showing. I have had it 4 years and they have not changed or gotten worse. The only ones we had a problem with were the ones with a large bubble just behind the cap. The air comes up and over the front cap and causes a low pressure area. This causes the rubber to flutter and will tear loose. Again the bubble has to be large. About 8X12 in. or larger. This only happened with two coaches in 15 years.

Tags
roof