Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love my manufacturer installed Dirt Devil. We have tile floors with area rugs & carpet in the bedroom & on the slides. We do not have pets but do bring outdoors inside I don't have any problem reaching the front or rear from a mid-section install. Ours is under the refrigerator. The BEST feature is the "trap door" that you open with your toe & just sweep dirt, etc close & it is sucked away. Nice feature for a quick sweep of tile & area rugs.
I store everything in a square ottoman that was cheap, and looks great, from Wallmart. You can see it in the corner of the picture.
Attached Images

Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years ago I purchased a wall mounted shop vac from Loews. I installed it in my starboard side-mid ships cargo bay. I installed a 110V switched outlet in the bay and mounted the intake port for the 25' hose in the entry way, this way I can utilize it outside to vacuum my toad. The system works great with tremendous suction. The whole set-up cost less then $100...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol912 View Post
DW is tired of lugging the vacuum out of the closet and around our 41ft DSDP. I have looked at the Dirt Devil system sold by Camping World but DW has never been very fond of the Dirt Devil brand offered for the home. Before I take the plunge and install this system, is there anyone out there that has this system or can make any recommendations? Would appreciate your feedback!
It was installed when we got our MH,,,,DW will never leave home without it! Over four years, and still does a great,,,,,OK,,,,,job!

still can't resist sssk job!
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
I love my manufacturer installed Dirt Devil. We have tile floors with area rugs & carpet in the bedroom & on the slides. We do not have pets but do bring outdoors inside I don't have any problem reaching the front or rear from a mid-section install. Ours is under the refrigerator. The BEST feature is the "trap door" that you open with your toe & just sweep dirt, etc close & it is sucked away. Nice feature for a quick sweep of tile & area rugs.
I store everything in a square ottoman that was cheap, and looks great, from Wallmart. You can see it in the corner of the picture.
Great idea!, thanks,,,,,DW now has a new place for the,,,,,here we go again,,,,,,hose!
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I'm in the "Does a great job and am very pleased with our Dirt Devil" club.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Frantz, thanks for the great idea of "hiding" the hose and attachments. Looks like DW will get her way with the majority of responses being positive.
Hitchiker, another thanks for the link to rvupgrades. This site will be one of my favorites.
Dirt Devil here we come !
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
At the 10th Anniversary Rally for the Texas Boomers in September I was lucky enough to win the Grand Prize, a Dirt Devil Central Vacuum made possible by www.rvupgrades.com .

I was very fortunate that Hank DiGiovanni (who won the same vacuum system 2 years earlier) was there and installed mine for me. Hank and Linda seem pleased with their vacuum and showed me where they installed theirs under the bed in their 5th wheel. Mine was installed in the same position in my Class C.

I have two Shelties so I deal with a lot of dog hair. I have been pleased with the performance of my vacuum. I bought a plastic container for all my attachments and plan to have a door installed in the frame of the bed next to the vacuum so I can just open that door and pull out the container with the attachments.

I think the Dirt Devil central vacuum system is great!
Check it out at www.rvupgrades.com!

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have the built in Dirt Devil and it is great - as a popular commercial here in the Atlanta area goes, "it sucks!" This system is great and has a dut pan feature if you just sweep up something loose. Open the port and the motor starts, sweep the debris in and it. No bringing out the hose. The hose will stretch from the center-of-the-coach port to both ends and allow you to vacuum the stepwell.
The hose and fittings store in a much smaller space than the old upright we had in the previous coach.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
The Dirt Devil central vac is also sold under the name Maxum RV2000. Our Maxum is OEM and has a port in a basement compartment in addition to the one inside.

It can be handy to have, but just doesn't cut the mustard as the only vacuum if you have carpet and are fulltimers. I tried adding a RugRat power head, but that was a waste of money. We still use the central vac for some cleanup jobs, but bought a "baby" Dyson "All Floors" model for the real/regular vacuum cleaning work. It is amazing (and frightening) how much the Dyson picks up in our little 40' home.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
It is amazing (and frightening) how much the Dyson picks up in our little 40' home.
We run the Oreck after we come back from camping events especially at the beach.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #25

We have the built in DD , it's great having a central vac system. One thing, If I where going to do it again I would install a system made by a small company in Florida, Intervac, they specialize in vacs for RV and Boats.....Google them, ask for Peter, I am a builder and have installed a number of these units in homes...G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for their input. Ordered a new DD vac system from Rvupgrades.com and it will be here on Tuesday. DW all excited. Will post our thoughts once I install and try it out.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
IC2

I guess I must have gotten one of the DD duds in my Titanium. It does an OK job, but we always get out a regular vac when we reach home as the DD will not pick up sand - and we have a full set of tools including the air driven power head.

One note, find a way to vent it to the exterior as the exhaust will blow any dust that may be anywhere nearby. Currently mine exhausts to my 5er's basement instead of outside - an eventual mod to correct.

Best of luck with yours
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Dirt Devil central vacuum in our coach and love it. I got the optional power head with a brush that does well on dog hair. I installed the port mid coach so the hose hasn't been a problem. I'd buy the same system again.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote