Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocs View Post
25 years spent as a State Trooper doing drug interdiction and I can tell you that I knew prior to stopping a car/truck if I intended to search based on several indicators. My conversations with the driver were short and sweet until after the arrest. A guilty person will tell you more with their body then they will ever speak. Don't get me wrong there are some over aggressive police out there but most Troopers are by the book and have their trade honed to perfection. My advise obey the law and chances of you having a bad encounter with the police are slim to none. Jails are full of jailhouse attorneys as are forums.
I got pulled over once by State Troopers for speeding. Long story but the highlight was someone fitting my description, age, and my same name murdered someone a couple days before a few hundred miles away and they thought I might be him. After a couple hours of interrogation they took me back to my car. The trooper that took me back to my car told me he was pretty sure I wasn't the one they were looking for from the beginning because of my attitude. He said if I had shown agitation or been upset they would have kept me at least overnight until someone from downstate could ID me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #58

Best road stop story, 1998, driving across US 50 in Ohio in my Porsche 944 turbo (yes, it was arrest me red) on my way to Mid Ohio for a track day. Doing my best (remember, arrest me red) to obey all the speed laws, even though the limit kept changing from 45 to 65, just a perfect speed trap scenario, when a Volvo (yes a Volvo) Station Wagon blew past me at about 75. I'm driving a Porsche and got passed by a Volvo Wagon! Well, I stepped it up to 70 (it was 55 at the time) figuring that the Volvo would attract any radar out there. Topped a rise and there was one of Ohio's finest directing everybody to the berm, where two more were writing tickets. After waiting my turn, the officer finally came back to my car, and I inquired as to the nature of the problem. I was informed that the aircraft had clocked me at 72 in a 55 zone. I asked the officer if he thought that was fair, since the aircraft seemed excessive to me. I noted that he was extremely polite and did the usual routine with a lot of sirs and yes sirs in the conversation. After receiving my ticket and pulled out I noticed that my video camera was installed on the roll bar in the back. The LEO had seen it and was so, so nice!

Suggestion - get a go pro or dash cam and use it if you are worried
RMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Relax .............they are there to serve and protect.
More like serve and collect
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
More like serve and collect
Ha, ha, that's the truth. It's not about safety anymore, it's all about extracting money from citizens to pay for broke and over spending governments, so they can give inept, over paid and under worked government employees even more money. Did you know that they are giving out $1000 speeding tickets in Virginia for simply going 10 miles an hour over the speed limit? It's not about safety, it's all about the money.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Did you know that they are giving out $1000 speeding tickets in Virginia for simply going 10 miles an hour over the speed limit? It's not about safety, it's all about the money.
Whenever money is involved, corruption will follow. The solution is to NOT allow the municipality that levies the fine to keep the money. If a city levies a fine, the money goes to the county and is distributed to all cities in the county, county goes to the state for distribution, State to the Feds. Fed fines go into the general fund. But no one collecting the fine, gets to keep the fine. That way you will know if safety is the concern or if it is just a money grab to buy the chief of police a new desk or car etc. Government should be funded by taxes. Yes, I said it, taxes. It's the rent we pay to live in a city, county, state, etc. Taxes are not necessarily bad, they just need to be controlled. If you fund government by fines, corruption will ALWAYS follow. Not occasionally, ALWAYS. If you don't believe me, just quit paying the cops a salary. Tell them, "You get NO salary, but you can keep all the fines the people you arrest have to pay, and get to keep anything you confiscate."
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #62

I have a Radar Detector in my Big Truck (not legal in a Commercial vehicle) and was pulled into the check area NB 15 Sloan Nv (NHP is cool anyway) door open goin through my paper work, "is that a radar detector?" no, it's a dash camera...hands me back my papers, "have a safe trip" Dash cam might be a way out I'm thinking?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I have a Radar Detector in my Big Truck (not legal in a Commercial vehicle) and was pulled into the check area NB 15 Sloan Nv (NHP is cool anyway) door open goin through my paper work, "is that a radar detector?" no, it's a dash camera...hands me back my papers, "have a safe trip" Dash cam might be a way out I'm thinking?
Well, I got a 4 camera system for my vintage motorhome. I put 2 on the passenger side to cover my blind spots and one in the back. I was trying to figure out what to do with the last one. The dash is sounding like a good spot. Thanks!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks

As the original poster I kind of suspected that this post was going to ramble and it has without answering the original question. As Gomer use to say "Surprise, Surprise"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Here we are at more than 50 posts into the thread, "Busted for driving while from Colorado? (Wash)" and not one personal experience of being stopped for no apparent reason other than Colorado or Washington state plates.

My conclusion is, THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM.

You all may continue with fears of confiscation, intrusive searches and the like, I am out of here.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #65
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
As a tool for self protection I recently got a dash cam that can be used to record more than scenery.
I agree.... I just ordered a Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P under $75....

Be polite... My last two stops (both were state police) and I was speeding 19 over.... I was polite.... I drove away without a ticket.... 3 years ago, a local got me in Virginia for $275.. no break.... but I would never consent to a search...
Just say no thanks and continue asking "Am I free to go"....
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
A LEO can always determine a cause if so inclined - we believed they were laundering money, trafficking drugs, etc and confiscate cash found even if the person is not charged with a crime. So the word "illegal" should not have been used in my qualifying statement at the end. That still does not negate the fact that confiscation of cash can occur even though no crime has been committed and one has to fight the system to get it back.

And whoopee-doo that you have friends that are LEO. I have a long line of relatives that are too. Doesn't make either of us better experts.
You seem to miss the varying definitions of "cause". There's the "probable cause" to STOP you, but there has to be legal cause to retain the cash as evidence. Indeed, whoopee-de-doo.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #67

Please read the OP

This thread has wandered from between the white lines to out driving around through peoples back yards. (this is a metaphor) I simply want to know if anyone has been stopped for driving while from Colorado or Washington. I don't care about the money side of things, how to interact with the LEO's, dash cams, or pseudo legal advice.
Apparently it is not an issue among the followers of this blog. So thanks for all the replies but some with more bearing on the the subject would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I have seen several treads (not here), of folks being pulled over for no apparent reason other than having Colorado tags. Has anyone in the Rv community had this issue?
I'm from Colorado and would much prefer to just drive safe and enjoy my journey with being interrupted by over zealous Law Enforcement Officers,(LEO's)
In case your we're wondering about the reason for this question, recreational marijuana, pot, weed, etc. is legal in Colorado and Washington. The law enforcement side of things outside of Colorado and Washington do not approve, and it has been rumored that the (LEO's) are wont to pull folks over based on the origin of their tags.
I'm not looking for your view point on Pot; just how you have experienced it from the RV aspect of things. Are you finding yourselves talking to LEO's more often?
Or are you just driving down the road without interacting with them and enjoying the journey?
Thank You
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Yeah it has wandered but I think when the subject about being stopped with CO tags was brought up the Op new that all the tales would follow.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #69

As the Op I understood that some tales would follow but this is moving into the work of the Brothers Grimm (if you're puzzled google it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Yeah it has wandered but I think when the subject about being stopped with CO tags was brought up the Op new that all the tales would follow.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #70

Thor Owners Club
I agree
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado