Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #1

Buy new or used? Hate to pay full price of new. Too risky used?

We are planning on buying in the next 2 months. We are in Florida and will go to New York State for 3 summer months. We are thinking in the 2005 - 2010 range class A diesel If price I right.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Do not understand the question?? How would one "buy new" if looking at 2005-2010 range?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:06 AM   #3

I love guys that buy the deprecation out of a new rig and then cover the seats and floors and don't run the Generator and don't put may miles on it, so I can move in and buy a rig for half price...
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #4

Took delivery of a new to us 2003 Dutch Star, with 62,000 on it. Was climate controlled stored when not in use by the original owner. He ordered it new with many upgrades. Had a few minor repairs needed, up overall in GREAT shape. Bought ours from North Trails, salesman was Kyle Erp. Can't say enough how well well we were treated. We wore him out with questions. Put a refundable deposit on one, then switched when he found one he thought we would like better. He was right. So buying used from a good dealer is very possible. They are in the midst of a huge expansion and have LOTS of good used units on the lot, as well as over 100 new ones due in in March. Could find some really good deals. Do you're research (DW says I'm a@@l about that. Good luck in the hunt.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Start looking, it will come to you which you prefer.

There are arguments on both sides of the issue. We bought new and plan to keep it for years and years and years which helps negate the loss in depreciation. My wife just does not get comfortable looking at used stuff so my argument stops there.

But buying used is still probably the best financial move. Just make sure you do your due diligence and have what ever used you are considering well inspected. Which ever route you go, negotiate the price.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Folks that brag about how shrewd they are to buy after the owner of a new coach has taken the depreciation hit always amuse me....buying new versus used is a choice with many factors in buying an used coach, including time to look for what you want, thorough analysis of what is out there and what it should cost (particularly when buying from a dealer), true condition of the coach (whether buying from dealer or previous owner), disclosure of needed or past repairs and issues, etc. If you're new to RVing, then you need a friend or a lot of luck to work through all these challenges, or a dealer/salesman that is more interested in putting you in the right high quality used coach and not his bottom line...a rare quality and somewhat counter intuitive, but they can be found in dealers that are trying to develop a relationship with their customers (few and far between).

New have a different set of issues...depreciation, shaking the bugs out, etc. I do find that manufacturers such as Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin, American Coach, Forest River, etc that are focused in developing customer service relationships with their customers...a good thing for a newbie, particularly the addition of warrantee.

So, shrewd is in the eye of the beholder. If you're "good" enough, you can save a ton of money...most aint!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #7

We just bought a private sale 2006 Discovery that was in great shape and it came fully loaded - including a case of toilet paper - with everything you would need to travel in. They even threw in a free lunch for both my wife and I. Since the unit had been for sale for almost a year, I was able to buy it for a really good price. I knew going in it was going to need new tires, and new house batteries.

I guess I got a really good buy because in our state we pay taxes on the book value, and that was $11,000 more than what I paid for it!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Boy I'm glad NY only makes me pay taxes on purchase price, otherwise I could not have afforded it. I paid $17000+ sales tax and I bought the coach at about $50K below wholesale as it was.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #9

Paying taxes on the book value has advantages. Under the system of paying taxes on the purchase price I'll be there is a lot of "fudging" the sale price especially if the sale is a private sale. At lease by using the book price everyone is on the same level playing field.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #10

States just love auto and RV transfers...it's a tax that just keeps on giving...every time ownership is changed.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #11

There are many pluses and minuses whichever way you go. As Dave (DSL) has stated, it just depends on your situation. Buy new and take a depreciation hit, but how big of a hit is debatable. Many who like to point to depreciation use the MSRP rather than the cash price which can be as much as 25-35% less than the MSRP. I can find used coaches on line that can be purchased new for less than what someone is asking for a one or two year old coach.

Buying used avoids the depreciation hit, but may result in buying the lemon that someone else was so desperately trying to dump. Our first unit was a used class C that almost got us killed when the brakes went out on I-75. Personally I like the new warranty and the wealth of changes in electronics and mechanics that have occurred over the last several years.

It comes down to preference and dollars. The dollars may change the preference from new to hopefully good used.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

We have purchased two used MH's, both sight unseen and did fine on both of them. The first was at a dealers auction, a 2003 Endeavor 38'. When we got it, it was about 18 months old, had 5700 miles on it and was in real good condition. The second one was from a dealer in the 'lower 48', our current 2009 Diplomat 38' MH. I was able to have my sister put 'eyes on' and check it out.
As has already been said, 'if one has the time to look, there are some real nice deals out there on used MH's. New might be nice, but when one can get a good used MH at a good price. it makes sense. For us, we could not afford the cost of a new MH.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #13

I would be scared of a one year old coach (it was traded for a reason) 2or more years old less chance of lemon dropping I would think
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

I bought an 2006 Newmar Essex in 4-09' with 18,000 on it for $209. Do the math. Someone else had worked all the warranty problems out for me. Have had it ever since and could give it away at $175 without batting an eye. New one is 730 MSRP can be had for 530 and lucky if you could get 400 year later. $530 x 8.75% sales tax and $12,000 personal prop tax./year. No Brainer
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote