Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Buy out-of-state, get local service?

I found this interesting, though not surprising!

https://www.rvtravel.com/rvs-warrant...onor-rvt-1030/
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

It gave me a better understanding of the reimbursement process. I had not considered that the cost associated with diagnosis were not covered. That could be a pretty big deal.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #3

I understand the “local” dealers situation, especially when it comes to losing money on the warranty side. The dealers want to take care of “their” customers, and with a backlog of warranty work at pretty much every dealer, they aren’t looking to add warranty work from a customer who didn’t buy from them… Even more so if they believe the customer is one of those “Calls every day to be told the same thing… ‘We don’t know when the boat with your parts will finally reach the port.’ and gets mad about it” people.

But I also believe that dealers have put themselves at a disadvantage, either intentionally or by the shear volume of rv’s being sold and not enough to go around to everyone. My local dealers, they overcharge quite a bit. And when confronted with a “try to get closer to this dealers price and I’ll buy from you” proposal, they said “No. Go buy from them then.” I ran into two dealers that had a “Demo” model of what I wanted, they wouldn’t sell it no matter what at the time, and told me I could place an order with them (At their overcharged price of course), but they had no idea of when I might get it.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Good article on why it's so hard. I bought mine in AZ from a WA dealer at a RV show, did paper work in CA as AZ has some strange tax law for RV's and I live in NM. Now try and find warranty work. I found because my RV was designed for full time living that KZ would authorize mobile repair. Most of the inside things are made by someone else and are covered by manufactures warranty; Coleman, Suburban, Dometic etc. The manuals in the RV had literature on all the stuff with customer service numbers, faster than trying to get dealer repairs. Unless there is a major cost I just do my own.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did buy local after doing some pricing. Unfortunately my dealer runs hot and cold.

The last time I needed something repaired that I didn't want to tackle they took about four weeks to reply to my inquire. Last time I was chasing parts that I thought they might have, twice I have called their parts department and been waiting nearly three years for the returned call.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I found this interesting, though not surprising!

https://www.rvtravel.com/rvs-warrant...onor-rvt-1030/
Auto dealers do a good job now taking care of warranty work. But it wasn’t always that way.

American auto quality has gotten better since the foreign autos have become more popular along with their longer and better warranties.

It doesn’t surprise me that rv dealers don’t do warranty work on some units bought elsewhere. Like has been mentioned, it takes sometimes months for them to fix a unit they sold. We allow them to get by with it by patronizing them.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #7

Even some auto dealers balk at working on vehicles bought elsewhere. They do have to work on them under warranty, but quite a few will move you to the back of the line.

I had that problem with my Silverado. The closest dealer honored the free oil changes, 1/2 hour job, but when it came to a problem with the audio system, they told me to take it back where i bought it.

I would have bought the truck from this dealer, but he could not get the one I wanted and could not do dealer trade.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:15 AM   #8

If the problem with the audio was still under warranty a call to Chevrolet would have straightened that out quickly.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #9
YC1

I had a facetime with a dear friend and neighbor yesterday. I have known them for 30+ years. As we are both small town "Service" providers we share the tremendous weight the backlog of parts and units is causing.

My dear friends are absolutely struggling while watching dealership after dealership go under. They are hanging on by their fingernails.

If it wasn't for a loyal customer base they would be gone too. They cannot even get into the order system to order a boat or engine. The estimated time they will even be allowed to order a boat or engine is sometime mid Summer.

Customers are wanting to put deposits down but they will not take deposits because of the difficulties.

RV dealerships are going through the same miseries. I had a heck of a time getting new Roof AC units. It took months.

I suspect any RV dealership putting out of town purchasers at the back of the line are trying to hold their "loyal customers" close. Those are the customers that are saving them.

The old sayin, "shop locally" is paramount to keeping your business's alive. Sure you may pay a few bucks more but they have put sweat and tears into a small business and often cannot compete with the bulk purchases made by the big stores.

Each day and almost every day some local charity would walk into the shop asking for donations or support. We always did what we could. The local charity does not ask the out of town business for help.

So in this difficult time, please be patient and support your local business's. They have families to feed and shoes to buy.

Their employees are depending on you too.

Merry Christmas my dear friends.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:07 AM   #10

The closest dealership to me that sells Tiffin's is nearly 100 miles away, so buying local was not an option. We did buy our TT local 11 years ago. The service guy who took care of us then has now moved to another RV service organization local (they sell used on consignment, not new. They are mainly service and storage oriented) and I use him since he is now the service manager. They fixed my AquaHot thermostat under warranty (Tiffin sent the part directly to me). I made an appointment for the seat belt recall and took it in last Monday. He said they did not have all the parts from Tiffin and would call me when they do, we would then make an appointment, drop it off, and pick up later that day since he said they would start work on it as soon as I dropped it off. His prices are a little steep (hourly rate), but I will still take my RV there to support their operation.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:11 AM   #11
Community Moderator

As far as the discussion of buying out of town, and getting repaired locally, on warranty claims. In our sales agreement it did state "the purchaser must return the unit to the dealer for warranty repairs". Not saying it is in everybody's contract but check the paperwork.
If this wording or requirement is in the sales agreement, then the local dealers are following the agreement made with the other dealer. We bought from a dealer 175 miles away from our old home. The other 2 dealers were closer, but the one we went with treated us better. I was reading the sales agreement before signing and the asked the salesman. Then during the process of signing other paperwork asked several times about it. Same answer, "you must bring it back here for warranty work".
So, it was no surprise of the requirements on our part to get warranty work completed, when needed for the covered period.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #12

Good article. Thanks for posting the link. My refrigerator went out in September while we were on a long trip. I called the factory since I was going to be in that area in a couple of days. I was told call a dealer and have them write up an “opinion”. My first thought was why would they take a tech out of the shop and spend the time to do it. So, I called my dealer back home. He said take some pics, which I already had done (yellow powder behind unit) and email them in. Did that and was told to bring the trailer in on December 1st, two months later (first opening available). I thought they were going to replace the fridge. No, they had to plug it in for eight hours and then submit a warranty claim. Now I’m asked to come pick up the trailer and bring it back when they get a refrigerator. That could be 3-4 months. I hope I have a refrigerator by April when our season starts. I certainly understand a dealer not wanting to service an RV they didn’t sell. It’s a complete mess out there.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:03 AM   #13

Live in Houston and bought out of Iowa at lowest cost dealer. Saved 10k well worth the so called risks. Local would have been Camping world or another rated just as bad. Full timed for years and had no problems getting work done. If something major needed work I planned to take it back to factory. Floor was replaced by factory. Only issue in two years. Would do the same. Dealers have no loyalty to their customers why pay more for same unit? Do what makes you comfortable. Me I’ll save the $$

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 12-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The basics are simple: the RV dealer's franchise agreement only requires that he perform warranty service on the units that he actually sells. Not others of the same model sold elsewhere. That's one of several major differences between an RV franchise and a car or truck franchise. And since the franchise agreement doesn't require it, the dealer typically does not do it unless his service dept needs work (rare indeed!).
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service