Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 05:59 AM   #1

Buyer wants vehicle report - might be a scam

Hello,

Someone asking you to get a vehicle report from a specific website is potentially a scam.

I wanted to share a recent experience while attempting to sell my RV. I had a text exchange with many questions and answers about the RV and even set the day and time to see the RV. The last question was if I had a recent vehicle report I could share with him, and when I said no, he sent me a website for getvehreport.com and asked if I would mind getting it. My first thought is I do not mind; I look at Carfax reports when I'm looking at vehicles.

I went to the website and purchased the report for $30. The site did not have anything strange to make me believe it was a concern (and I typed it in myself, not from his text link), BUT the texter did give me concern shortly after I purchased the report. He had texted asking if I had the report, and I thought this was a little pushy after only a few minutes (the first red flag in my mind but a little late at this point). I let him that it had not yet, but the system processed the payment. He immediately responded with all the precise details on contacting the customer support team, and this is when I realized it was someone working for the website (the big red flag went up in my mind). Care to guess what's next - I send him the report, and after a "thanks, I'll get back to you," I never hear from him again.

Following this transaction, I went online and looked up this event, a known scam with articles in 2018. I also checked more, and the website is listed as a beware could be a scam.

I share this so others can learn from my event. I will see if my credit card can do anything for the $30.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchultze View Post
Hello,

Someone asking you to get a vehicle report from a specific website is potentially a scam.

I wanted to share a recent experience while attempting to sell my RV. I had a text exchange with many questions and answers about the RV and even set the day and time to see the RV. The last question was if I had a recent vehicle report I could share with him, and when I said no, he sent me a website for getvehreport.com and asked if I would mind getting it. My first thought is I do not mind; I look at Carfax reports when I'm looking at vehicles.

I went to the website and purchased the report for $30. The site did not have anything strange to make me believe it was a concern (and I typed it in myself, not from his text link), BUT the texter did give me concern shortly after I purchased the report. He had texted asking if I had the report, and I thought this was a little pushy after only a few minutes (the first red flag in my mind but a little late at this point). I let him that it had not yet, but the system processed the payment. He immediately responded with all the precise details on contacting the customer support team, and this is when I realized it was someone working for the website (the big red flag went up in my mind). Care to guess what's next - I send him the report, and after a "thanks, I'll get back to you," I never hear from him again.

Following this transaction, I went online and looked up this event, a known scam with articles in 2018. I also checked more, and the website is listed as a beware could be a scam.

I share this so others can learn from my event. I will see if my credit card can do anything for the $30.

Sounds as though you lost not only $30, but gave away specific information about yourself and your RV.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 AM   #3

Follow your instincts. If it smells fishy it most likely is. Hope you have no further issues with this.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #4

When a buyer gets pushy about a sale I just delete the conversation. If they don't ask much about what I'm selling but instead just say "I want to purchase it" that is definitely a red flag. It usually happens on FB Marketplace or Craig's List. I try to use PayPal for most transactions as I have had good luck with resolving bad transactions.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #5

I wouldn't be too concerned about the $30, but I would be concerned about the CC information you gave them. Being a scam, what's to prevent them from using your CC for more charges??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about the $30, but I would be concerned about the CC information you gave them. Being a scam, what's to prevent them from using your CC for more charges??
I would cancel my card and request a new one.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You are correct. I’d request the CC be canceled and let them issue a new one. They’ll do that fast and generally will Fed Ex you another overnight.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
What a pain, so sorry you are going thru this, especially at this time of year! Appreciate the warning, thank you for the reminder for vigilance!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm wondering what's in this report? I've seen carfax reports but even those don't have much detail in the way of information unless the car was either in a wreck or dealer serviced. Last car I had for 10 years and when the dealer pulled up the carfax for it the only information there was that I was the owner. I did all my own service so the report was basically blank. So it would seem for carfax or any other history tracing it would be limited to public records, which for an RV would likely be very little.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #10

Here's an explanation of how one of the scams work, this one is commission based. Others could compromise your CC info.
https://computertutorflorida.com/202...e-report-scam/

A good reason to stick with Carfax. Thanks for the heads up.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:37 AM   #11

Thank you for letting us all know. I use carfax as well every time I purchase a vehicle. Idk if I'd purchase something like that for a buyer, but now I definitely know better. Sorry about your luck with this situation!
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
Thank you for letting us all know. I use carfax as well every time I purchase a vehicle. Idk if I'd purchase something like that for a buyer, but now I definitely know better. Sorry about your luck with this situation!
A seller who is on the ball will pull and print the Carfax ahead of time and have it available to anyone upon request when they come to look.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
Sounds as though you lost not only $30, but gave away specific information about yourself and your RV.
I’d recommend you contact your state’s Attorney General office. When enough complaints come in they’ll look into it.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
You are correct. I’d request the CC be canceled and let them issue a new one. They’ll do that fast and generally will Fed Ex you another overnight.
x2!