Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buying a campground?

Has anyone ever thought about purchasing a campground? I've been thinking about it quite a bit, and wondered if anybody had researched this end - also, what would be the top things that people look for in campgrounds. I know what I like, and would want to have - and here in New England we don't have many 5***** campgrounds which is what I'd like to make. Go ahead, throw comments out here! Any and all appreciated!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I would love to do that except I'm to close to retirement to start something like that. It burns me to no end that I still have to work and not have enough time off to enjoy myself and my coach.

Several things I would make sure in a campground,,,
1. Big enough and solid level pads for the RV's
2. Paved and clear roads
3. Constant trimmed trees,,, I hate going into a campground / RV park and scratching my coach on untrimmed trees!

I think my model for Campground / RV parks would be Fort Wilderness in Disney World,,, they seem to have it right!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have thought about it several times, but each time, I thought about all the time and money this would take and not leave time for me to travel. I agree with rovin on the requirements, but this would make it sort of expensive. What we need is nice clean campgrounds, cut branches, fair roads and not all the amenities like the ones that cater to families. If I am travelling, I don't need a pool, lounge, restaurant and other fancy things. Just a clean and quiet place to stay, laundry and small campground store with necessities.(mainly ice cream!!!!!!!!!)
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had a friend once who loved sailboats and sailing. He started a business selling sailboats. He spent all his time working while all his customers were enjoying the sailboats. I suspect having a campground would be about the same type of thing. You would spend all your time working while your customers were enjoying the fruits of your labor.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You would spend all your time working while your customers were enjoying the fruits of your labor.
Yep,,, That would be about right!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #6

There is not a lot of money in operating a campground, at least for the money invested, if that was one of its goals. Most provide a family run property with good income. If you would like to get to the ROI, you had better be young.
It is an interesting thought, never the less.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Own a campground up north. Close it up in October/November when the traffic slows and travel till April. We stayed at the KOA in Rhinebeck, NY a while back and that is what that owner does.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We do have a campground owner "Javajelly" on Newmar forum.
He will be busy until Nov. Than brakes for the south to relax.
Does not post to much in summer but will be here soon.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Our son's in-laws bought a campground, and they now have no time to do anything but work at the campground. He has a Harley with a thousand miles on it that he can never ride, and the longest they are away from the property is an hour to get supplies. They bought an RV to travel, and it hasn't turned a wheel since it was brought to them.
If you're going to buy an RV park or campground, make sure it's big enough to support at least one employee, so you can get a chance to get away once in a while.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #10

A campground I have enjoyed a couple of times is outside Durango, Colorado. It is called Leitner Creek:

Camping in Durango, Colorado: Camp Lightner Creek RV Park & Cabins

We first stayed there 20ish years ago and stayed there again last year. The same family owns it. I told them I remembered talking to them about their purchase. They had spent about a year looking and wanted a part time operation so they could also play. They said they have really enjoyed owning the place. Note the times they open and close.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
I had a friend once who loved sailboats and sailing. He started a business selling sailboats. He spent all his time working while all his customers were enjoying the sailboats. I suspect having a campground would be about the same type of thing. You would spend all your time working while your customers were enjoying the fruits of your labor.
True story ! While everyone is camping from April to October I get to go from Oct. to April. Actually I like the fall and winter and spring months for camping best.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
One thing I wish more campgrounds would do is have 2 or 3 pull through primitive (i.e. no hook ups) sites set aside, for a cheap price, say $10, to accomodate folks traveling through an area just needing a safe place to rest before moving on. I hate having to pay $35+ for a site when I'm not going to hook up or use any of the campground's ammenities because I'm rolling in after dark & leaving at dawn. Yes, I could go to a rest area or WM, but I'd rather patronize a local campground if they would just be a more flexible with prices depending on circumstances.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #13

I had a chance to buy a foreclosed fishing resort c/w guiding license in a beautiful location for a song. I passed but had a chance to talk to the buyer several years later. He said they never would have tackled it had they known much work would be involved.
As others have pointed out, it would be a business not a hobby. Without reliable staff, you would be tied to it 24/7. Is that how you want to spend your summers.
Lori, they have to pay a mortgage, taxes, maintain the grounds, and attend to all the other expenses whether you use use the hook ups or not. Why should they tie up valuable resources for 10 bucks a day? You obviously have no appreciation of the costs involved in running a business.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the replies so far! Keep them coming!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote