Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
These posts reinforce the idea of getting an inspection done prior to purchase.
By whom?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2022, 12:10 AM   #16

When we decided that we wanted a motorhome of our own instead of renting. I spent about 8 months lurking here reading about everyone else’s problems and mistakes before we bought. Our 1995 only had 28k miles on it and had been stored most of its life under a roof. But I still replaced every tire,rubber hose, belt, shock absorber, and consumable before we went on our first trip. In 6 years and 45k miles we have only had 2 problems on the road. An AC compressor and a microwave oven both of which I repaired.

The biggest factor in our relatively trouble free ownership has been my ability to make all the repairs, remodel and fabricate parts. Hard to find many parts for older RV’s and harder yet to find anyone with skill willing to work on them.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
For instance, tires. They're 8 years old now and I just had one blow out on the left steer at 70 mph.
:
We purchased a 2000 Discovery last year from a friend who's father had passed. One of my fears is a steer tire blow out, so I replaced the 8 year old tires last week.
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:48 AM   #18

We picked up a one owner 2000 Fleetwood Discovery last year. My good friend's dad passed, and he offered me a deal on his dad's RV that I could not pass up. I was also very close to his parents and know his dad took care of his RV.

We purchased the RV site unseen, no inspection. I had not previously owned an RV and only driven my neighbors for a few miles. We simply jumped in. I'm not advising this strategy, we took a leap of faith knowing who we were buying the RV from.

We paid cash for the rig and drove about 5 hours to pick it up. It's an interesting feeling to show up to purchase an RV site unseen. We were very pleased to see how good a condition it was actually in. We were also able to get the service records and original paperwork. Plus, his dad kept journals of their trips including RV service and maintenance.

After getting the nickel tour from a family friend I was off driving the return trip home hoping not to hit anyone on the highway. As nervous as I was at the start of the drive I was feeling pretty confident by the time I got home.

I scheduled an appointment at our local diesel service shop and asked them to perform an inspection and service the engine including oil change. The report came back that the rig was in great shape including the engine.

We are probably in for about $6K in service/repair which includes 6 new tires. I still need to replace the carpet with LVP flooring along with a few smaller updates.

Besides, if I had a newer rig I would not have been afforded the opportunity to learn how to rebuild our front furnace last month, or install a new washing machine and microwave.
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #19

To the OP...

Youre into your RV for $45,000. That wouldnt even cover the tax on a new diesel pusher in some states .

If you sold it right now, its probably worth more than that.

So, you actually MADE money
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #20

Let’s talk about Old DPs,
We have a 1987 built 1988 registered Foretravel GV. purchased in 2012. When I drove it home from Spokane it had 72k miles from new and 32 hrs on the propane generator. We’ve put over 50k miles on it since, so far above and beyond regular maintenance, 2 new steering tyres and a new toilet (mistake) and a new windshield.
This coach was a great deal at the time for less than $15k, and that’s the plane fair to Spokane and a tank of fuel to get home.
Do your research and buy wisely.
Olde English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Interesting to see all the posts on this topic. My Beaver is 24 years old. It was 14 when I got it and had 25,000 miles on it. I used to be Chief Engineer in the Merchant Navy, so you have to be a master of all trades basically. Boy, did I have a lot to learn! I have done most of the repair work myself, including figuring out how to pump epoxy into a delaminated wall section, repairing the hurricane heater, changing all the fluids, changing and realigning headlights, adjusting ride height, hunting electrical issues etc.etc. Oh and hunting for and eliminating squeaks! I do find it fun and challenging, but it is a daunting piece of machinery. Some things I will live without repairing. A good example is all the torsion bars. The rubber dust covers have rotted and the rubber bushing size is not available otherwise I would have pressed out the old bushings and pressed in new ones. The bushings and pins are fine, so to protect them I have packed the exterior with really stiff grease. It works, as I cannot see spending well over $10,000 for replacements. Having said that, every system on the coach works properly, but there have been many hours put in to insure that.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #22

I think your fortunate to have family to help with labor. I try to do my own repairs but if I don't want to deal with the trouble or it is beyond my experience and ambition I have no problem writing the cheque.

I have to say that when you said older MH with low miles I was thinking late 80's or early 90's.

If you have the help, do the research, have the ambition and the finances, I think given the market that low mileage used is the wise way to go. You could have the same problems with newer just out of warranty RV's. You could buy new and have warranty work but be bumped out time wise by the dealership and be without your MH for weeks on end. Build quality (on anything) isn't what it used to be.

Personally, I keep a decent amount set aside when I travel because I know that someday something unforseen may happen and I could be looking at thousands in a tow and fix.

Our MH is a continual source of joy for my family and I bet yours to, even if it isn't perfect, but every spring it's fix this and spend that. Nickel and dime and Mickey Mouse here and there. If I could afford new I would.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #23

"older" is probably a relative thing to most... We were looking at a specific generation of Winnebago (and their upscale relatives) shorty Diesel Pusher. Only wanted the ones that came with the HUGE allison 3000...

What a search that was... I gave up a couple of times, never having owned a motorhome, and getting intimidated with all the systems on a coach. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

We found that if we just went up to the Itasca line, the 3000 allison was included, go figure... The front windows can be a leak problem, so get the glass out and get them resealed. Heck I could write a book, but buying it relatively cheap, has not caused me to question things we did spend big bucks on. We're into it for maybe 65K total, including the full body paint... And there's nothing else out there that beats ours, in any way - FOR WHAT WE DO! We have 36K total miles on it now...
Old 04-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Upon picking up my 1st MH from the repair shop after what I would have thought was a way too soon repair on my older but LOW mileage MH the mechanic explained it in very simple terms. "Parking lot rot."
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:46 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorim View Post
I see many people come here and ask questions about buying older MH with low miles and many of the members tell them that low miles are an issue but to a newbie this is really hard to grasp so here's an example of what it could really cost.

I made a ton of uneducated mistakes when I bought our MH about 3.5 years ago. First off, I just didn't have a decent budget because I decided I wanted a MH on a whim. I didn't do enough research and I didn't belong to this site. I found a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 34V DP at our local camping world with just over 56K miles I think I wound up paying around $25K out the door. The unit looked decent, everything worked, all the manuals and some maintenance records were on board and the price was affordable. At one point the unit was well cared for but I didn't grasp what the low miles really meant. I'm a fair weather/weekend camper (my boys drag race) so I needed to be able to camp for long weekends with no hookups. When I started driving it every weekend (within about a 200 mile radius)the sitting issues became apparent. Granted, we're all pretty handy but wow, what did I get myself into.

Items we knew needed replaced when we purchased it: I fixed the toilet (new gaskets, ball and tightened it all up), my ex replaced the cracked skylight and installed vent covers. The kids and ex helped me replace the two awnings. Probably a few hundred here in parts.

First the generator broke, $3k later in just parts and 3 in/outs with a forklift (it weighs like 450lbs) to figure it out and repair it. Free labor and forklift at my disposal on this fix.

4 of the 6 tires needed replaced $1500 (got a discount from my son's work)

Next the turbo blew out $2K in parts (labor was free, my youngest is an auto mechanic)

I started having issues with a dead pedal, after some research I decided to upgrade the fuel system, rebuilt VP44, new lift pump and fuel gauge probably about $2K on these items.
Youngest son started fuel upgrade installs and said that my minor oil leaks were really getting bad and the head was seeping oil too.(too big of a job for him) UGH

This winter the MH went to a garage and had the engine cleaned and rebuilt and also had the major air system components replaced (governor, compressor and air dryer) because the air system wasn't pumping up properly... total bill was $10K

Still needs a starter, new air bags (currently on backorder) and a new muffler .. roughly another $2500

I've also bought a ton of gadgets like GPS, Wineguard Wifi unit, upgraded the entire inside sound system and TPMS just to name a few pricier items.

The inside still needs the 90's pink carpets replaced and a lot of cosmetic upgrades but the mechanical stuff keeps chomping away at my interior upgrade budget.

I have a good job, I'm very mechanically inclined, I have lots of good free labor options, and a decent mechanic for the really big stuff. Personally I would never buy a newer unit because the cost is outrageous for a fair weather/weekend camper. But, knowing what I do now, I should have spent more on my initial purchase, did way more research, and gave more consideration to higher milage units.. I have all intentions of keeping my unit for many more years but I'm so embarrassed to admit what I've spent.. My guess is I'm somewhere in the $20K range above the initial purchase.

Could you imagine if I didn't have all the free labor/help what I'd have spent?
I feel better now reading this. I bought a 1997 Holiday Rambler LE Diesel Pusher motorhome. Mainly maintenance issues and parts. Doing it myself as a Hobby.
Desert Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:04 PM   #26

To add my 2 cents...
We have had travel trailers for over 10 years and with a new job that affords more travel time, we made the move to a motorhome last October. We found a 2019 Class C with only 14K miles.

We have learned that even though it wasn't driven, it was definitely used. We've replaced the toilet and faucets and I've had to tighten every single screw and hinge. There have been a lot of miscellaneous repairs. Like a lot here, I'm handy and have fun but anyone looking at this needs to know that used is used. Period. Well, maybe with the exception of those purchases from family/friends.

Fortunately for us, some of the issues were handled by the dealer so I haven't been out a lot of money, just a lot of time and elbow grease.
paulb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
1988 Winnebago 27 RQ Superchief..Picked her up in 2006 with 60k on the clock.
Paid $5,000 and another $100. for the Towmatic 2 and cables-lights-etc.
Gennie wouldn't start made the PO pay for repair b/4 me paying him..
More to it but, 125,000 miles now and great fun with my now late wife..Oil pressure is 50# in the 454 and in 3 trans services in the Turbo 350 never any metal in the fluid.
Sure tires and one new alternator; batteries..
Well worth it and I've now put solar on the roof and other fun stuff just for fun..
Older can be better. And the Onan only had 120 hrs, now 160.
"Lucy" just may outlast me, we keep having fun!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sadly you seem to be having a bad run. We purchased our 2004 Pace Arrow/ Workhorse chassis with 39000 miles 5 years ago. Other than tires and routine maintenance we have not spent anything out of the ordinary. We Have 63,000 miles now 7000 of that from a circle around the US last summer. Like the man says you spin the wheel and take your chances.
Azmiike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying