Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Buying an RV at an RV Show, looking for guidance

My wife and I have been researching full-time RVing and toy haulers for the past year and a half. The Grand Design 397TH is one of our top picks for a toy hauler.

We've received a couple quotes from a local dealers just to get a ballpark figure as a starting point. Looks like dealers will take about 20%-25% off MSRP without any haggling.

I believe we'll be able to get the best deal at an RV show, so we're planning on purchasing one at the Tampa RV show this January. (if it's still scheduled). I remember at last years Tampa RV show the manufacturer had discounts which helped lower the price and it seems the dealers were eager to sell. Although this is a crazy year, who knows what's going to happen.

My question is: has anyone bought an RV at an RV show, if so, what was your experience with pricing? Was the dealer willing to negotiate? If so, do you know the % you were able to negotiate down from the show price?

One more question: I received a quote from a dealer in Florida. In the quote there is a charge for freight, and another charge for "D&H" for $699. When I asked the sales person about D&H, she replied it's a state mandated fee. However, the quote I received from another dealer did not have D&H listed. Does anyone know if there is a state mandated fee in Florida?

thanks
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post
My wife and I have been researching full-time RVing and toy haulers for the past year and a half. The Grand Design 397TH is one of our top picks for a toy hauler.

We've received a couple quotes from a local dealers just to get a ballpark figure as a starting point. Looks like dealers will take about 20%-25% off MSRP without any haggling.

I believe we'll be able to get the best deal at an RV show, so we're planning on purchasing one at the Tampa RV show this January. (if it's still scheduled). I remember at last years Tampa RV show the manufacturer had discounts which helped lower the price and it seems the dealers were eager to sell. Although this is a crazy year, who knows what's going to happen.

My question is: has anyone bought an RV at an RV show, if so, what was your experience with pricing? Was the dealer willing to negotiate? If so, do you know the % you were able to negotiate down from the show price?

One more question: I received a quote from a dealer in Florida. In the quote there is a charge for freight, and another charge for "D&H" for $699. When I asked the sales person about D&H, she replied it's a state mandated fee. However, the quote I received from another dealer did not have D&H listed. Does anyone know if there is a state mandated fee in Florida?

thanks
When asking for a quote from any dealer ask for the "out the door price". They all seem to have some sort of gotcha fees of one sort or another. Out the door pricing really is the only number to worry about. Make sure the sales tax is figured in. And some(most, all) dealers will try to add more fees on top of the OUT the door price.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

And also remember that when a salesmen lips are moving, it's very likely they are lying.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

Yup, "drive out price" is the only one that is relevant.

And, yes, some manufacturers offer discounts/rebates at some RV shows.

No idea if the Tampa RV show will be held, but were I to guess, I would say not very likely.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

I bought my last trailer at a RV show- I felt I got a good deal. I seen no reason not to shop RV shows. Others have different opinions.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
'D and H', Delivery and Handling...have to call BS on the 'state mandated' part.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #7

Everything is negotiable except tax and license on the "final" price out the door.
Just be prepared to walk away if you don't like the deal.
I've walked several times
They are NOT your friends

Remember THEY are experts at SELLING and juggling figures They do it every day. YOU are a rank armature at it. Its like you going up against Phil Ivey in poker You ain't gonna win.

As said before If the salesman's lips are moving he's lying.

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITTING SIGNED BY THE SALES MANAGER OF THE COMPANY
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

If you have done your homework you will know whether the show price is appealing to you.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #9

For many years , I have been going to the big indoor RV show in Grand Rapids Michigan every late January . Never bought anything because I never saw the model I was wanting , It seemed like they were trying to unload the stuff that didn't sell otherwise . & if you acted slightly interested about something they descended on you like you are a "mark" by scammers . but like I said , that tactic never did work on me .
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
I believe we'll be able to get the best deal at an RV show, so we're planning on purchasing one at the Tampa RV show this January. (if it's still scheduled). I remember at last years Tampa RV show the manufacturer had discounts which helped lower the price and it seems the dealers were eager to sell.
Do you plan on actually buying one on display at the show, one that hundreds of people have tromped through and pulled and prodded on everything?

Last year we saw some dealers putting SOLD signs on some and closing them to the public. If you do plan on buying one "off the floor", I'd insist on that. I also would take dozens of photos after you commit of the inside, all basement compartments, inside all cabinets, EVERYTHING, so you can be assured that they actually deliver what you saw and bought.

I'd also be extremely picky when you do your PDI.

I do understand the temptation. I was looking very closely at a Holiday Rambler Navigator 38' priced at $200K. One of the couples we saw inside were going to put an offer on it because the price was so enticing.

Ray
Old 11-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
1) Not even two months away, no chance that show is going to go on, especially not while numbers are spiking.
2) The sales people I've talked to said that you can almost always get the show price after the show, you just have to say "I saw it at the show for $x". BUT, there are times when the mfg is kicking in back-end cash and/or the finance company is doing special show rates.
3) I agree with the above, no way I would buy THE RV that was at the show. I'd want the same year, make and model for the show price, but people can be much too hard on show RVs when they are walking through them.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #12
NXR

Buying an RV at an RV Show, looking for guidance

Quote:
1) Not even two months away, no chance that show is going to go on, especially not while numbers are spiking.

Tickets go on sale in December and that is in one hour and five minutes. Well know soon enough. [emoji4]

Ray
Old 12-01-2020, 03:21 AM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you plan on actually buying one on display at the show, one that hundreds of people have tromped through and pulled and prodded on everything?

Last year we saw some dealers putting SOLD signs on some and closing them to the public. If you do plan on buying one "off the floor", I'd insist on that. I also would take dozens of photos after you commit of the inside, all basement compartments, inside all cabinets, EVERYTHING, so you can be assured that they actually deliver what you saw and bought.

I'd also be extremely picky when you do your PDI.

I do understand the temptation. I was looking very closely at a Holiday Rambler Navigator 38' priced at $200K. One of the couples we saw inside were going to put an offer on it because the price was so enticing.

Ray
No, we would never buy an RV that was at a show. Too many people walking through them and most just don't care. We would probably purchase one at the show but have it built with the options we want. We know it will take a few months before it's delivered.
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was told by several RV show salespersons that the price on a display is the same for any of the same model they have on their lot. Now maybe they conveniently don't have the exact same model on the lot. Since we never bought one there, we didn't get the chance to test that statement.

Tags
buying