Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2021, 05:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfskeet View Post
As some has posted about service, Our dealer always puts RV's they sold at the head of the line. I was in my service manager office one time when a person called in about service and they told him we out out to 4 weeks. I just got a appointment 2 days before, So it does help to buy local.
Some dealers do that, but not all.

The large multi-location dealer in this area does not prioritize service for those who bought locally and when I tried to get service for a disabled rear view camera I was told there was a 3 month wait, even though I bought the RV from them. Given that an issue can easily completely prevent use of the RV this is a big concern for me.

One of the smaller local dealers is now touting that they belong to a nationwide organization that guarantees quick service to those who buy RVs from other dealers in that organization, and perhaps that is something to consider when buying a new RV. At least until the current glut of new RV sales ends, if it ever does.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We bought out of sate about 500 miles away. Saved a good bit over buying anything from dealers we know near us in state . It is a hassle working with them on small issues. Two small parts from the factory I could not get with out their help or I would have paid freight cost for shipping. Were talking a light bulb in one case. I had to wait almost 3 weeks for that one light bulb because it went to the dealer then to me. I have a issue now that has to be repaired by the dealer. They asked if I had a dealer locally who can do the work. I found one Rockwood dealer near by. I always new them as a Airstream dealer. because that is all you see when driving by them. Seems the only other brand they sell is Rockwood/ Flagstaffs. Had I known this I possibly would have bought my unit from them for a little more money. I called and made an appointment to get the warranty work done. First they said it would be about 8 weeks before they could get to me. When I said I also wanted the toilet changed out by them and would buy the one I wanted from them their tune changed. I have to wait two weeks now. I guess if you give the right incentive it helps. Maybe this will put me in better standing to get service from them in the future. My dealer far away has called them and asked if they would work with me in the future and they seem to have no issue doing so. Being an Airstream dealership I wouldn't expect them to be all that busy with repairs. I was wrong on that. According to the service person they have a lot more work on newer Airstreams now days and they do restoration work on Airstreams as well , and that too seems to have picked up.

I can only say I wish I sucked it up and bought local now. I hate all the endless phone calling and don't even get me started on trying to tag and title the unit in my home state. If you live in a state ( NC ) that doesn't do electronic transfers it becomes and real issue. All the little things can add up and be very frustrating. Buy local if you can.
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #31

This is the sad part of buying an RV...The fact you need things fixed that usually require expertise from a dealer. I remember buying my Alpine and the guy told me point blank. Do not go bringing this thing in here for warranty work if you not buying from me. However, I purchased it out of state for nearly 10K cheaper than he would go below. Said that is below invoice. Well I took that shot anyway and I called Keystone. I was told we do not regulate how dealers do warranty work but at least they told me they would recognize independent repair guys where I could get reimbursed. Good thing is I never needed them. All the issues were so minor, I would never have taken to get fixed as I did the fix and all were very inexpensive. So the same applies now with me ordering a Class C. The local dealers in Florida will not even entertain my verbal purchase request to even generate a quote. So I purchase 500 miles away and save nearly 10K. I will just drive two hours to another Entegra dealership that does warranty and explain I just moved into the area..plus that dealership is part of the conglomerate that owns the one I purchased from..I figured I can put more heat on them than the MFR not that it matters but we should not all be forced to buying from the closest dealer only..that is collusion and how price gouging goes into effect...then every dealer would sit on pricing at some point. You would think they would love doing warranty work no matter where the coach came from as its almost guaranteed money so as they say its warranty related and get assurances. It is why auto dealerships stay in business. It is not from the $300-$500 per car profit on the sale...
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #32

Buying local makes sense if the local dealer gives you any priority in service work but, if it does not, I don't see why buyers should not buy from whatever dealership makes them the best offer.

One thing I need to check out is if 3rd party warranties will pay for work done during the warranty period if the work is not done at the dealer. In that case it might be worth buying one and using it as a lever to get faster service - just go to whatever shop can do the work properly and let them bill the warranty service.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #33

When purchasing our new Tiffin, I foolishly thought I should purchase from a dealer 30 minutes from me than a distant dealer. Like the OP, I assumed I would could get work done quicker and better from the dealer. Living in the Midwest we don't have as many service option as southern states. I gave the local dealer last look and purchased a new Tiffin from them.

I wanted to add a Blue Ox/AFO package right after delivery. The local dealer was 50% higher in price than an RV service company and couldn't even provide me with a written quote. Price was TBD.

Took delivery on a Saturday, dropped it off at the service company and received a call Monday morning that the new Tiffin had 2 crimped/melted air lines. I contacted my dealer and this was his response 2 days later.

"I talked to service about this yesterday. I do not know what you should do and I donít know if it is safe to drive. I am not sure if the service company is certified to work on Tiffin motor homes? When a non certified dealer messes with a coach, being Tiffin or anyone other manufacturer, it usually results in warranty issues. They will have to do their best to work with Tiffin to try and get those lines resolved."

I'm just going to Red Bay to get my warranty work done and then find a service tech for future service work. I'm sure there are good dealers out there but don't expect them to be great at service/warranty work.
EcoRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dealer