Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #1

Buying an RV from a far away dealer

I need some advice about buying an RV from a far away dealer when I have several close to me. I like staying local but I'm wanting a new small 5th wheel that is going to cost around 40K with 25 off from a local dealer. I can get the same model but it is a left over, new 2020, for about 33K about 1000 miles away. I'm wondering if I might have trouble getting warranty work done locally if I do this. I know the dealers are supposed to warranty any lines they sell, even if bought elsewhere, but is that going to work well in the real world? Any first hand advice would be appreciated.
jimmy16x is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

The local dealer will deal with any issues, eventually. Stands to reason that the dealer will take care of customers that have bought from them first.

Now, if you are very specific on the model that you want & it is not available locally, get it wherever it is.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:32 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's the problem I have now. Just bought a new 2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE from Florida. I live in central Virginia. Unfortunately, the only model I wanted was there. I found only 2 other ones in "captivity", one in Wisconsin, and one in California.

I understand the "buy local" mantra. However in my case there nothing to buy local, and it would be 4-6 months before my particular model could be built, if ordered. In cases like mine, I shouldn't be treated like a pariah.

I was never going to buy any trailer he had, because none had the same floor plan, and wouldn't have for months. He could have given one of the 29SE's on his lot, and I would have just sold it and got what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
The local dealer will deal with any issues, eventually. Stands to reason that the dealer will take care of customers that have bought from them first.

Now, if you are very specific on the model that you want & it is not available locally, get it wherever it is.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy16x View Post
I can get the same model but it is a left over, new 2020, for about 33K about 1000 miles away. I'm wondering if I might have trouble getting warranty work done locally if I do this.
I don't know if your local dealer would be interested, but the answer is always "No" if you don't ask. So, car dealers do this all the time. If the car you want is at a dealer far away, they would have it shipped to the local dealer to sell it to you.

I wonder if the local dealer could transfer that rig to his place and then sell it to you. Of course he would add delivery fees and such. I don't know if RV dealers do this or not. Might be worth asking.

Back to morning brew . . .
CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

That's a really big concern! Many dealers will refuse to service RV's that were not bought from them. Even if they are pressured by the factory to service it, they will keep pushing you to the back of the line, hoping you will just give up and take it somewhere else!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Getting service may be a problem. We Full time and travel all the time. We have had some dealers that would not give us any service, repairs or problem solving because we did not buy from them. They usually told us that they could get to us in 6 months or more.

Thankfully we are not finding the same problem with our current coach and have had service all over the country ...no problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #7

RV dealer warranty work.

My RV dealer has a very large board that states if you bought your RV at another dealer you will be last in line for work. No buying parts elsewhere and expecting them to install.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

check around first

Jimmy, you could call your target manufacturer and ask if they would approve a non-dealership to do warranty work, then call around your area to rv repair shops and dealers and see if they'd work on your target brand. I've seen a number of posts where owners of ORV units have had warranty work done by other shops after receiving prior approval from ORV. Your target manufacturer may have the same policy. It's worth knowing ahead of time. Safe travels,

Howard
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you're wanting service after the sale, then stay local. Saving some bucks may not save you hassles when it comes to service. My local dealer makes no bones about the fact if you buy elsewhere, although they will service you, you won't be at the top of the list & can be bumped if an RV purchased from them comes in for service after you.

Have you tried negotiating with your local dealer to see if they'll meet you somewhere in the middle to earn you buying from them? Never hurts to ask.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #10

Most people that I know have problems getting warranty service from anyone, including the dealer they bought it from. Ask if you can get factory authorization to have a mobile tech guy work on your issues. Be prepared to pay the tech yourself and wait a while for reimbursment.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #11

I ordered a coach through a far away dealer, price difference was ~14k less than local. Thatís a lot of scratch for piece of mind. Iíll deal with the issues as they arise. Maybe I just have to flat out pay a local guy and forget about warranty. Iíd get rig repaired quickly and be back on road. I donít want to sidelined, waiting in either case.
jjarrell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:25 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's all well and good if your local dealer actually stocked what you wanted. If they don't, you must go further afield.

That's what I don't like about local dealers not servicing a unit bought far away. Why should I be penalized if the local dealer doesn't have what I want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you're wanting service after the sale, then stay local. Saving some bucks may not save you hassles when it comes to service. My local dealer makes no bones about the fact if you buy elsewhere, although they will service you, you won't be at the top of the list & can be bumped if an RV purchased from them comes in for service after you.

Have you tried negotiating with your local dealer to see if they'll meet you somewhere in the middle to earn you buying from them? Never hurts to ask.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
That's all well and good if your local dealer actually stocked what you wanted. If they don't, you must go further afield.

That's what I don't like about local dealers not servicing a unit bought far away. Why should I be penalized if the local dealer doesn't have what I want?
Or looking at the issue from another perspective, RVs are designed to be mobile. If the Rv owner is traveling the USA and has an issue hundreds or thousands of miles from ďhomeĒ, why should the RV owner be penalized by the RV dealers (as a group) because he/she is using the product as designed and has an issue in Anytown? All I can say is thank God for the independent repair guy.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

If I read correctly the local dealer has the desired or satisfactory unit the price is just higher... which is frequently the case.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dealer