Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #1

This winter, we will be in Florida, staying in mostly state parks for 2 weeks at a time. The campsites do not have dumps, and it seems that hauling a portable holding tank to the dump station is the most practical way to go. My internal gauges are not that accurate and I want to avoid overfilling the portable tank. Does anyone have recommendations on tank size and procedure?

Thanks

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #2

This winter, we will be in Florida, staying in mostly state parks for 2 weeks at a time. The campsites do not have dumps, and it seems that hauling a portable holding tank to the dump station is the most practical way to go. My internal gauges are not that accurate and I want to avoid overfilling the portable tank. Does anyone have recommendations on tank size and procedure?

Thanks

Ken
Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If by portable tank you're talking Blue Boy I'm buy a big one. They're made now so they're easy to pull (three wheels down on ground) and have a side discharge opening. Wife and I get about two days usage before I dump (dishes, showers, toilet). Leaving it run longer that that just means more trips to the dump station to empty out the tanks. My record now stands at six trips in one day, i.e., wife ran a few loads thru the washer!!!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. How did you determine the 2 day figure? On your record setting day, how did you know when to make each trip?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ken,
I used to have one of these. They work great. In addition to what Richard posted, some have a float indicator to tell you when the tank is full.

My only suggestion is to get one that will fit on the hitch of your toad. Plain water weights a little over 8 pounds per gallon. These tanks can get heavy real fast.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #6

Because I know , make sure you take in account the stuff in the hose.I made a short hose with female connectors on both ends.If you want to get a little more into it.Get a 25 gal. blue tank.Start with a empty gray,and useing 5gal. bucket,see how many it takes to reach the second light on your tank indicator.Its a little more accurate but not perfect.This can be done with black tank also.It takes a little effort to do this but if your worried about haveing an accident then try it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #7

Get one of the 4 wheeled side discharge ones. they are about 30 gal. A full tote get very heavy, very quickly. Don't forget the "bobber". Handy little gizmo. I had to drill a tiny hole in the top of mine because it always wanted to hang up and give an incorrect reading. As for how often to dump. That depends on how you use it. I dump every 3 or 4 days (Sunday afternoon or Monday morning & again on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning) usually wether I need to or not. I just factor in those days to dump depending on how busy the dump station is. But then I have 18 gal each grey/black tanks with a 32 gal 2 wheeled tank (I usually dump both tanks at the same time). David rarely uses our bathroom (says it's too small) and uses the bathhouse. I use the bathhouse for showers only during the week. On weekends the Ladies side tends to get busy. Start out dumping once every 2 days, then add a day at a time (3 days will most likely be your max for heavy useage). It's better to dump more often than to over fill the tank!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The worse thing about those tanks is storing them when not in use.(dirty & bulky)
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 15 gallon two wheel tank. The 25 or 30 4 wheelers are nice, but I see two problems with a tank of that size. Carrying it from campground to campground. The 15 gallon fits nicely in the rear compartment of the MH in the "dirty" compartment. The other problem is the weight. Water weighs 8.33 lbs/gallon. If you plan to only camp on level paved or improved surfaces the larger tank should be fine. However, we have found that not every site we camp on is level and finished large enough so that the blue tank can be manuvered easily.

This is a case of: my mine wants the 30 gallon, but the older I get, my back likes the 15 gallon tank.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 32 gallon Blue Boy, with two wheels, moved it around like a wheelbarrow. I had room up under the back of the moho between the frame rails and I built a crossbar to hold it there while traveling. We used to boondock alot and used it all the time. Our tow vehicle is a pickup so I purchased a Sani-Con waste macerator pump. I put the Blue Boy in the pickup and pumped the waste with the Sani-Con into it. Then drove too the dump station and used a long enough 3-inch hose to dump it. My black tank is 45 gallons, so I just made sure I emptied it before it was full and that way I knew the 32 gallon Blue Boy would hold it all. Same with the Grey tank. I'd have to make a trip for each tank.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote