Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My concern is that the seller has an issue with the coach that he's afraid you'll discover and attempt to stop payment. With cash, there is no recourse. I also know that some of the baby boomer generation is very leery of large transactions that are done electronically or by cashier's check or bank draft.

I would tell him that cash is not going to work out and put the ball in his court. He may soon realize that no one will accept his terms.
If the "seller" is up to no good, then he probably knows the old saying, "there's a sucker born every minute". He knows someone will eventually go for it if his listed price is lower than the other guys.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #16

I can't see your location but I could provide security for a small recompense.
If not then don't do it.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
In the past...

Here in Florida, there have been millions of dollars confiscated 'legally' on certain highway 'drug corridors'. Although it does help finance LE operations, there's been incidences of legit funds getting confiscated and cost the owners thousands to recover...some gave it up because the high court costs surpassed the confiscation. Civil forfeiture allows law enforcement to seize property (including cash and cars) without having to prove the owners are guilty.

Carrying gobs of cash in a vehicle in any state...no way.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
My banking is a CU, about a dozen branches, all with-in 50 miles of my home.

The MH I want to buy is 90 miles away just across the state line in Alabama.

Of course the seller wants cash. Im not driving across the state with cash in my car.
Have you seen the MH and talked with the owner at his house? (Sometimes buying a car or RV and seeing where they live can give you a hint as to how the vehicle was taken care of.) What was your gut feeling about him? Is he willing for you to have it inspected by a qualified inspector before buying? Personally, I'd pass on it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
My banking is a CU, about a dozen branches, all with-in 50 miles of my home.

The MH I want to buy is 90 miles away just across the state line in Alabama.

Of course the seller wants cash. Im not driving across the state with cash in my car.

He doesnt want a certified check or a cashiers check or a wire transfer, he wants cash.

I can understand that people are apprehensive about money transfers in todays global fraud market, so why isnt the global financial industry figuring out how to handle this.

At this point it looks like its a no-go for me. Im not transporting cash he will not accept anything but cash. He will not drive to my nearest branch to get cash.
If the seller wont drive 90 miles to finalize a deal I would forget it. And it does smell funny.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:24 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Closed another one.....

So basically I pretty much closed this thread on the second post..... lol.
We are in agreement. Closed another one
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #21

How much CA$H are we talking about here?

There are some seasoned units out there that might only fetch $10K. That’s not a ridiculous amount of cash. Of course, any such transaction at a financial institution of $10K or more, may be reported as suspicious activity. For a larger sum it may be necessary to visit the CU several times.

I have heard of people that sometimes carry what some may consider a large amount of cash. It is generally less that the price of a Rolex or Cartier, so if they were ever asked a vague question, such as, “Are you carrying a large sum of cash”, they would respond, “No”.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #22

I recently sold a pickup to a couple from AL...they called me on my ad on a Tuesday, verified the pictures, then said they would fly in Sat with certified check from a CU, and the balance in cash. Called the CU, checked with cashier their account was valid and the check that they issued was good. Good enough for me. They flew in, looked at the truck, handed over the funds--I signed over the title, bill of sale, and off they went. Check was good, cash was also, when deposited. If they guy doesn't want it any other way, and you haven't even looked at the vehicle, just doesn't make sense for you to pursue it. Your money ....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bmcg, so what happened? Did you go ahead with the purchase?
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #24

I tried to buy an older diesel pusher in MT. I live in TN and only use a CU. We drove to MT in February to finalize the deal. The owner of the motorhome would not accept a certified check from my CU. Would accept cash. My CU could not wire transfer money to the owners bank in MT. Think about that. In this day and age a financial institution cannot wire transfer money to a non affiliated bank. We finally found a MT bank to which my CU could transfer the money, some 40 miles from the owner's bank. The owner's bank (which had the title) then said they would accept a certified check or wire transfer from a MT bank 40 miles away, but I would have to pay them (owner's bank) and they would keep the title until everything cleared, which the owner's bank said would take a week. To restate, the owner's bank would hold the title and they would have my money while I sat in a hotel for a week, with nothing but a bill of sale. The owner had misrepresented his motor coach to a degree, so with that and the transfer of money issue with his bank, I just said no thanks and, after going through all that, just walked away. I had evenbought one of those diesel fuel cards just for this purchase.

I sold my travel trailer and was going to accept a cashiers check and have the buyer go with me to my bank to have it verified, but after talking with him I just accepted the check and signed over the title on the spot. It cleared and everything was fine.

I guess my thinking is this: If the sales goes bad, will it totally devastate you to loose the money AND the item you are selling? If so, then make everyone jump through hoops. If not then, make the call to sell or not to sell, and just suck it up. It will more than likely turn out ok.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
The guy disappeared. Ive moved on...............
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #26

Quote:
The guy disappeared. Ive moved on...............
I was going to suggest asking for the VIN to make sure the rig wasn’t stolen. I had a friend purchase a pickup with cash. Deal was much like you say your seller was. After he did the transaction with the seller, he went to the DMV to transfer ownership. The pickup was stolen and his $15k was in the wind.

I’m not so worried about driving with a lot of cash, if everything else checks out first.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:02 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Life is just an exercise in risk management.

I try to avoid and/or minimize risk.

Driving around with cash increases risk.

The issue is when some guy decides he wants the cash and he ends up dead.

Im not calling the cops, Im not getting involved, Im not doing the paperwork.

That means no witnesses.

The snowball just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Thats why I dont carry cash.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #28

Quote:
so why isnt the global financial industry figuring out how to handle this.

The global financial industry has figured out how handle this, it's called a wire transfer. If the seller won't accept 100% guaranteed funds then something is wrong with the deal. Run away and don't look back.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying