Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #43

I can only say that we had a very difficult time trying to purchase a motorhome in another state by wire transfer from our credit union to the buyers bank. It was such a hassle I doubt we will try it again, but then, again, we very seldom need to move large sums of money to private individuals. Wire transfer between our credit unions and various investment companies works very well, however. I told my sons to open an account with a national or at least a regional bank if they expect to do wire transfers, and don't expect to find the same level of efficiency using a credit union, specifically where time is a major factor.

Perhaps a better suggestion is to first talk to your financial institution and follow their requirements regarding wire transfer.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Life is just an exercise in risk management.

I try to avoid and/or minimize risk.........Thats why I dont carry cash.
Yeah Buddy....!

I drove the coach from Ca to Richmond Va to buy a car, liked it, wired the funds to the guy, rented a trailer and towed it home. Easy for both parties. Wiring funds takes a couple hours so if you start at 9am you’ll be done before noon. Just need to beat the 2pm cutoff or you’re into the next day.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Yeah Buddy....!

I drove the coach from Ca to Richmond Va to buy a car, liked it, wired the funds to the guy, rented a trailer and towed it home. Easy for both parties. Wiring funds takes a couple hours so if you start at 9am you’ll be done before noon. Just need to beat the 2pm cutoff or you’re into the next day.
Do you feel that your transaction would have been more difficult, or risky, if you had handed the seller an envelope with $5000 in cash?

Sure, wire transfers are easy, from person to person, investment firm to Credit Union or Title company to bank. Same for writing a check or using a credit card.

In fact, to address the thread title, it is actually very easy to buy anything.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Do you feel that your transaction would have been more difficult, or risky, if you had handed the seller an envelope with $5000 in cash?

Sure, wire transfers are easy, from person to person, investment firm to Credit Union or Title company to bank. Same for writing a check or using a credit card.

In fact, to address the thread title, it is actually very easy to buy anything.
Well it was a little more than 5k so logistics were more trouble than just doing a wire xfer. I bought a 5th wheel with $16,000 cash, and a little something in my boot just in case. But like BMCGC, I’d rather not temp fate.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My banking is a CU, about a dozen branches, all with-in 50 miles of my home.

I can understand that people are apprehensive about money transfers in todays global fraud market, so why isnt the global financial industry figuring out how to handle this...
The fraud I would worry about is the seller has your cash and you don't get a good title. Then you have nothing but that hulk in the driveway that you can't register for tag & title, can't insure and as a result, can't use.

Ask your CU why they don't like to finance a MH and i'll bet you hear a similar story.
mark2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #48

Scam

It’s a scam.
He probably took somebody’s add , copied added his contact information and posted.
You show up with cash and his accomplices are waiting to rob you.
Good bye cash and no my.
You see these add a lot on Craigslist for vehicles and boats.
Total scam.
Be safe
Chuckge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #49

Quote:

The MH I want to buy is 90 miles away just across the state line in Alabama.

Of course the seller wants cash. Im not driving across the state with cash in my car.

He doesnt want a certified check or a cashiers check or a wire transfer, he wants cash.

I can understand that people are apprehensive about money transfers in todays global fraud market, so why isnt the global financial industry figuring out how to handle this.

At this point it looks like its a no-go for me. Im not transporting cash he will not accept anything but cash. He will not drive to my nearest branch to get cash.
This is too fishy — I would find someone who wants to sell a MH and not someone who appears wants to hide a whole lot of cash.
Freeman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I think this sounds a little fishy to me. There are many, many ways to safely transfer money now. You could meet him at his CU or bank. You're better off.
I have not read all the posts.

I would flee this deal rapidly. Banks have to report large withdrawals to the IRS for one thing and you have no idea what the seller will do with you "clean" cash.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Run don't walk

No deal is so good to use cash only, wouldn't you be concerned if the seller only wanted $XXXXXX Amazon, MasterCard, or whatever card?? Pass on cash only sales.
Casuall454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #52

Then again he's not realizing that you could be bringing a pile of bills with counterfeits mixed in. The safest way to do any transaction these days is electronically.
Allen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Call the Sheriff's Dept in the town and explain what you want to and your hesitancy...see if they will advise or meet you at the seller's house to witness the transaction......this may just be a cautious seller
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #54

This sounds like the makings of an episode of “Breaking Bad!”
6WhiteHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

The MH I want to buy is 90 miles away just across the state line in Alabama.

Of course the seller wants cash. Im not driving across the state with cash in my car.

He doesnt want a certified check or a cashiers check or a wire transfer, he wants cash.

I can understand that people are apprehensive about money transfers in todays global fraud market, so why isnt the global financial industry figuring out how to handle this.

At this point it looks like its a no-go for me. Im not transporting cash he will not accept anything but cash. He will not drive to my nearest branch to get cash.
We've bought and sold multiple big-ticket items across state lines over the past several years, including 3 motorhome, a boat, 3 cars and a motorcycle. Most were in the $30k - $50k range.

I have accepted cash, cashier's checks and wire transfers but will only pay by local certified check or wire transfer. Exchanging papers at the seller's or buyer's bank is perfectly acceptable. It's a great idea if anything needs to be notarized.

A seller or buyer who demands cash and meeting on his turf is a huge red flag. I've walked 3 times on such deals. Not worth the risks.
Old Top Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #56

Squirrelly Sale

If the sale is over $9,999.99, he's probably trying to avoid disclosing the money to somebody or something; divorce, income tax, child support, etc. In the meantime you'd be subjected to scrutiny by the Feds for that kind of withdrawal. I'd stay away from this deal, too. Good luck. Not all deals are the only deal in town, or out.
Jautry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying