RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Buying Car Out of State

We are SD residents and plan to make a car purchase while visiting my sons in either CA or AZ. How do you handle sales tax and registration? Advice appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #2

If buying from a dealer they should be able to take care of that.

Good idea to check with your dept. motor vehicles first for private purchase.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #3

If your buying in CA, which is a big mistake BTW. Then make arrangmenta to take delivery in NV. That way there is jo sales tax. Remember CA has some weird emission regulations. Cars sold in CA have to meet their rediculois restrictions, amd will always have lower MPG ratings.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #4

I assume you have a mail forwarding service in SD as I do.

When I purchased my new pickup truck in FLorida I paid no Florida sales tax but paid the SD sales tax when the truck was registered. My mail forwarder, Dakota Post in Sioux Falls, handle pretty much everything. It is important to contact your mail forwarder and find out what is needed. There are several documents needed and DP sent them to me and then we followed up with a phone all to complete filling them out. The dealer will need to have some of the documents to add their information.

I had DP register my truck and arrange for the transfer of my existing license plates to my new truck. I drove with Florida temporary tags until the registration was complete. DP does
charge for doing this work.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #5

OH LORD! Talk to you DMV

I went to Az to buy my motorhome, I got a screaming deal from a Wonderfull used mh dealership... However I had to pay the sales tax for the state, once I returned to my home state (Grrrrrr, Ca) upon registering the vehicle in the (Grrrrrr, state) they too hit me wanting there pound of flesh, between the two states I paid over 5k in taxes... let the buyer beware!
Old 09-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #6

I purchased my motorhome in Phoenix AZ. The dealer gave me temporary tags and I had to take delivery just across the border in CA. I sent all the paperwork to the Pennington County Tax office along with a check for the SD sales tax, I called them before the purchase for the amount and instructions, and they mailed me my plates.

When I bought my Jeep in Bosie ID, the dealer there insisted on collecting the SD sales tax, after calling the Pennington County Tax Office for the amount. I was paying cash. I transferred my SD plates from my truck to the Jeep, as instructed to do by the Tax Collector, in the dealers parking lot.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #7

I've bought in various states, they all try to get sales tax and fee's, stick to your guns, and be prepared to walk, ca was the worst, we walked away from one dealer, and went next door, and explained why, they were extremely co operative,
Old 09-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #8

Well boys and girls,
I'm not sure how any of you are getting around not paying any taxes on new vehicles (other than states that actually charge NO sales tax on NEW vehicles, i.e. Oregon) but, if you look just briefly at the links below, they ALL have some form of vehicle tax.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=AZ+veh...74c7d6849caf72

https://www.bing.com/search?q=CA+veh...5bafe4d3e90c2c

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Oregon...459ade952bba53

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Nevada...d154e698d130a3

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Washin...686ef56b0e6893

Oregon and Alaska are at least two that don't charge sales tax. But, purchase a car outside of OR and then bring it in to register it, you WILL pay a used car tax. They're gonna get their money, one way or another.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #9

I have purchased two used motorhomes in California, one was a private party sale and the other through a dealer

On the private party sale, I took the clear California title, had a CHP officer fill out the proper California VIN verification form and took those documents to the Oregon DMV while the motorhome was parked in California. I paid a title fee, registration fee and plate fee. No tax or other fees were paid.

On the dealer sale, I took delivery of the motorhome in Nevada. A notary signed off that the motorhome was delivered out of California for the dealer requirements and the dealer provided a trip permit for me. I drove the motorhome to Ashland Oregon DMV where they verified the VIN. I paid a title fee, registration fee and plate fee. No tax or other fees were paid.

Oregon will no longer take a VIN verification from a certified VIN verifier from California, even if they are a dealer, but only from a CHP officer. I called a dozen CHP offices before I could find one that didn't say, "We don't do that anymore".

The Oregon "used car tax" is actually a tax applied only to new cars purchased outside of Oregon.

From the Oregon link above:

"About sales tax in Oregon
Oregon doesn't have a general sales or use/transaction tax.

However, Oregon does have a vehicle use tax​ that applies to new vehicles purchased outside of the state. The tax must be paid before the vehicle can be titled and registered in Oregon.​​"

It's always helpful to do your own research first to make sure you know what to expect, have the right story and the correct documents. There is no reason for a non-resident to ever pay California sales tax if you take an out of state delivery. Although there is a fee for that service, it is not very expensive compared to paying the tax and then trying to get it back because you did't owe it to California in the first place.
Sherpa Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
We are SD residents and plan to make a car purchase while visiting my sons in either CA or AZ. How do you handle sales tax and registration? Advice appreciated.
Only give your SD address to the seller.

Contact your mail forwarding service in SD and ask for the procedure. Send them the documents and SD sales tax amount (4%). They will mail you the plates.

Followed the above when I purchased coach in FL. Mail forwarder (Americas Mailbox) handled the RV (and toad) transfer and sent me the tags in FL.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We domicile in Florida and have purchased 4 vehicles (2 motorhomes and two toads) out of state and paid ONLY Florida taxes. All dealers provided me with temp license plates and they either paid the Florida sales tax through them or as in the case of the last MH purchase we were heading back to Florida anyway so we paid the taxes when we got to
florida and picked up our tags.

BTW we use a mail forwarding service as our home address.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #12

Buying vehicles out of state is usually no problem in most locales.

But I bought a used vehicle in California and had it delivered to my home state. California wanted their 9.25% sales tax. I had copies of the state laws and they still wouldn't let up on me. I finally had to petition the Board of Equalization to get a ruling where some bureaucrat in Sacramento would leave me alone. The same laws cover marine and aircraft purchases within the state.

Avoid anything to do with a vehicle purchase in California.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do it fast.....our governor signed a executive order banning all gas and diesel powered vehicles by 2035.

Best part is I'll be too old to drive by then.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying