Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #1

Buying Experience or Advice

I am new to the forum and hopefully soon to be the owner of a 2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH owner. We are scheduled to take delivery of our new coach on Monday at Dixie RV in Hammond LA, but I have a concern and wanted to get some experience or advice from others. There is a discrepancy between what I discussed with the dealer and what the actual build sheet reflects. We discussed the coach having the King bed upgrade but after the seeing the build sheet on the unit to be purchased it has the queen bed. I have been asking the dealer for a week if this is something that can be addressed prior to my arrival. They have not as of yet responded to my questions with a definitive yes or no. The sales person said that one of the managers was supposed to call me to discuss options but that has yet to happen, so I am growing concerned if I can not get answers before the sale what will service be like after. After the delays, I decided to go look up some ratings on Dixie RV and man they are negative.

Dixie RV is not local to me, so I would like have it serviced locally. From what I understand, I can have my Heartland serviced locally by a certified repair shop.

I am trying to determine whether to stay the course with the deal or look for a Gateway from another dealer.

I know that unhappy people will write a review long before a happy customer will, so I wanted to get others experience and opinions. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
scooter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get what you want and ordered. You will not be happy. A lot of dealers will get something close to what you ordered . . . Hoping you will be satisfied and take it. Tell them you want what you ordered and put a deposit on.

You say you discussed the king bed. Was it ordered with it and did you pay for that??Does contract show King bed upgrade??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and to the world of motor coaching!

Agree, you need to look at you contract for what was ordered. That said, if it was ordered with the Queen, it is not hard to overcome as if the coach is available in your floor plan with a King, probably the bedroom will accommodate an upgrade. It also gives you the chance to choose the type of King or California King mattress you'd like. And you can probably get it cheaper than the coach is adding it as an upgrade, or the dealer will add it after he has the coach, with his normally steep parts costs. I think I'd just ask what changes are made to accommodate a King (I doubt any, but don't recognize the coach make of your floor plan cited). If it is, then do it yourself with a close by mattress super sale that is always going on.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #4

If I were taking delivery of a new coach, number one issue is if it's actually what I ordered. There's any number of ways shortcuts can be taken on the dealer or manf's sides. That bed is just one of them. Have your documentation handy when dealing with them....
Old 11-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Do not accept delivery until you are 100% satisfied. You lose all leverage once you sign the papers and hand over the money. If the king bed is important, start out by telling the dealer that that item is a deal-breaker, i.e. you will not accept it without it. Make sure the sales manager or owner is informed - sales people don't always pass on stuff like that.

It may not be all the dealer's fault, though he is probably hoping to blow the shortcomings by you. RV manufacturers are notorious for changing specs without notice (a caveat that is usually stated in their paperwork), or listing items in their brochures that in fact are not available on every floor plan or model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call and cancel your pickup appointment. Stating you will reschedule when you get the call and resolution. You will get a call pretty quick.

As for what to do. If you really want the king bed, you will think about it every night when you go to bed. Get what you want. Either by the dealer now or on your own after the sale, with appropriate adjustment to the sales price. Thus assuming your contract or other documentation states king bed option.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
They don't have all of your $$$$$$ and you are already getting the run around because they won't answer or return your phone calls with a definite answer. If you think it's going to get better once they have your $$$$$ I've got a bridge to maybe deliver to you right after you take delivery of your new coach with the queen bed substitute????

DO NOT accept anything less than what you ordered. As far as authorized repair facilities just call CS at the factory and they will have a list of places you can take it. We made the same mistake 5 years ago. We were looking for a TT. We found one about 120 miles from home. We ordered it and took delivery about 8 weeks later. What we found out later was there is a dealer only about 15 miles from home. Why didn't we no that??? When we stopped at their lot they had a lot of their units up in KC getting ready for an RV show. So we didn't see or notice they stocked that TT. You may know how it is sometimes. After a 100 or so units they all begin to look alike. We found out later when I needed warranty work done and I called CS and was told about the closer place. They were also a super repair facility.

TeJay
Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
What is on your sales agreement. Ensure you have all of the items listed. If you and the salesman agreed to a king bed then call him in with the sales manager and confront the salesman.

If he says he forgot then you have the option to have them make is right.

The bed will not make them or break you. Judge how you feel about their attitude and accept what you can negotiate for or ask for your deposit back.

If you like the unit and can accept the issue you will have to make a few changes it would be better to have one in hand now than wait another 3 - 6 months for your unit. You will be losing the time you do not have it.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

I ordered a Gulf Stream trailer in 2007 and received a call from my dealer when Gulf Stream could not honor everything on the order - I wanted to upgrade both the front bedroom (from bunk/dinette to queen) and the hot water heater (from 6 gallons to 10 gallons). They could do one but not both. Had my dealer made the decision for me, it may have been the wrong decision (I chose to upgrade the bed). I suspect that if you are having trouble with a dealer BEFORE the sale, you will certainly have trouble AFTER the sale.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #10

Obviously you are seeing the majority of replies that, you should not accept something you specifically wanted for something less. What you are seeing already is perhaps you should find a more reputable dealer that sells you what you want, responds to your concerns immediately and most of all, insures you that you are dealing with someone you can trust.
There are far too many good, respectable dealerships that know that business is based on customer satisfaction.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #11

Thanks!

I want to thank everyone for your feedback and opinions. They are very much appreciated and valued. We were able to get things worked out and are the owners of a new Heartland 5er. Thanks Again.
scooter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_x View Post
I want to thank everyone for your feedback and opinions. They are very much appreciated and valued. We were able to get things worked out and are the owners of a new Heartland 5er. Thanks Again.

Congrats. Be sure to post some pics in the New Rig Show-off section.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nice to hear it worked out....Boy would I love a king size bed in our 5er...
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice