Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

There is a lot of room for interpretation here. Even if "nothing wrong" were the seller's exact words, they could be taken in the context of the typical condition for a vehicle with 104,000 miles on it. And an awful lot would typically be worn out on a large, gas chassis vehicle with that much mileage. The air bag sensor sounds like a clear case of something broken, but "worn out" ball joints and steering parts are probably well within the expected wear at 104,000 miles. So is a worn out water pump, but a leak is a leak and I think clearly qualifies as "something wrong".

Another question: who said "nothing wrong"? The selling dealer or El Monte themselves? It perhaps makes no legal difference if the seller was El Monte's agent, but sales people often overstate things to make a sale. That's just one of several reasons that any promises should be in writing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees View Post
No i did not that meaby was my mistake but we want to trust people
I ask them several times or there where any issues.
No they said evrything is top notch and checked so no problem what so ever
So if that was the case no problem i tought

And since we live more then 4000 miles away ,
I tought ok we trust them

Well as it seems WRONG doing that , never going to rent or buy from them
Since you just cannot trust them , if they said ok there are some issues that i would know , now i am very frustrated .
I am sorry that you have a vehicle with these issues, but the onus is really on you. If you did not feel qualified to check out the motorhome, you should have paid a shop to do an inspection for you.....this is true for any vehicle you buy. If it is not in writing on your contract, it means nothing.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The ole saying "You can always tell when a used car salesman is lying...when you see his lips moving' comes to mind. There is a way of getting back at 'em though. Fix your RV to your satisfaction and when enjoy making memories with it 'til the wheels fall off(read: long time).

Lesson learned...it sucks, but keep your eye on the 'goal'. Oh yeah, and SANITIZE that potable water system.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All used car sales in California have a disclaimer you have to sign. It states the car is sold "AS IS" and unless there are any exceptions written on that form you do not have any promise of repairs.

Did you sign a form like that?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #19

No did not sign papers that stated sold as is
i refused that because i bought it with a 12 month warranty
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you bought the MH with a signed agreement stating a dealer 12 month warranty and no written statement that the exclusion was US only, I feel you may have legal recourse! Worth obtaining legal advice IMO. However, you should have paid the extra for an outside survey to determine the MH's value and condition. Wish you the best!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Since you have a warranty, it sounds to me like all you you need to drive it back across the border to get it fixed. Maybe inconvenient for you, but warranty repairs are rarely convenient anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #22

Drive back over the ocean its a bit to much
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
cees, are you in the Netherlands?

I wonder why you would get a 12 month warranty that would not apply to your residence...? If they gave you a warranty knowing you were overseas is that not a claim of responsibility from the dealer??

I have no idea how you can get them to fix or pay for repairs from there ...

All i know is if we here in Canada buy from the US for the most part it is at our own risk as they do not cover anything outside of the US, sometimes the warranty will say it is covered in Canada, but that means even if you buy from a US company it is shipped from here, they have to be CSA approved (I am talking of appliances and mechanical stuff, smaller things.

I don't know about MH's... however I do know any MH's made in the US for Canada have to have a CSA sticker to come over the border to be sold here.

I am just wondering if there is such a restriction importing to your country, if so the dealer I believe would be negligent ... I don't know, you would have to check through a lawyer I suppose,

Just my thoughts, I could be all wrong. (hard way to learn a big lesson )

Good luck with this, and maybe when all is fixed and many years of good memories have accumulated ,(you will have, in the end ,no regrets...
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #24

From my personal experience, they are very shady! My in laws bought a TT a few years back, and they got a great deal, 29', 2 slide outs, with room for 9. When my father in law asked if his 1500 could tow it, the salesperson said "no problem!" They will say ANYTHING to make a sale. Needless to say, my father in law did some research, found out the TT was way too heavy for the 4.6 V8/Tranny combo. They returned it during the cooling off period and got their down payment back. We've never returned!
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 AM   #25

Yes i am in the Netherlands
Well i have a 12 month warranty ,but they even refuse to pay the parts
I guess they you cheap imitation chinese parts as their dealer ship to replace broken parts. if their is a issue of warranty .
So it last 12 month or so after that its not their problem
While we buy orginal parts , its a question of attitude i guess
I really ask several time if their where any issue's NO they said the RV is in top condition no problem what so ever and checked before selling
Well its a question of trust here
I would never rent or buy a RV from those guys again!
If they said well there issues and cost X amount of money , no problem i would have it fixed before even buying.
They simply lied , and thats something i cannot live with
Old 01-29-2014, 03:54 AM   #26

cees,
it is too bad that the dealer lied to you. I see people telling you that you should have had it checked out by a dealer. I think that's why you probably bought from El Moral-less. They were the dealer, I understand your frustration. Sadly these people like El Gypo and Mike Thompsons and Giant and McMahans, give the industry such a bad name. Are there any honest reliable dealers? Yes, lots, but in this case, Cees, it sounds like you might have to get over the lying, get the rig fixed and enjoy your motorhome. Hopefully everything else is fine, but as mentioned, check it over.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #27

Well worked on the Rv again today , and there more problems
Like the dinette into a bed was impossible to do it was just fitted wrong
keeps a gap from more the 2 inches to the support and its not lined up its about at 80 degree angle also
also the deadbolt of the door was not able to function
Also the locks on the hatches was mounted wrong you could not close the hatches

Well we have to see what more is wrong
Cees
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cees....I'm curious...If I bought a motorhome in the Netherlands and shipped it to the United States do you think the dealer in the Netherlands would repair the motorhome in the United States?

I'm just wondering.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote