Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Senior Member
cb5300's Avatar
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,168
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bobby C:
Insurance is bought on where the vehcile is garaged, not where the tag was bought. If the vehicle is "owned" by and LLC, you may have difficulty buying "traditional" MH insurance. You may have to buy commercial insurance. However, I am confident some company may insure a private coach that is "owned" by an LLC. I would check that part out as a part of your due-dilligents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is NOT correct! You must insure your vehcile in the state where the vehcile is registered (tagged) not where it's garaged. When I went to get insurance on my MH I had to get the policy thru MT. Virginia agents could not write the policy because of the MT registration. Think about what you are saying, if that was the case, then every college kid that's going to an out of state school would be required to buy car insurance in that state.

National Interstate insurance, a company out of OH will write you a policy, and they have good rates.

Here's something else you must remember, check your state's laws and see if the LLC will work for you, it may not be for everybody, but it does work for some people. If your state is like mine, then you will need to take the MH out of the state every 6 months inorder to avoid the requirment to register it. When you come back into the state your 6 months start all over again. This just gives you a reason to go and enjoy your MH as it was intended.
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Senior Member
Bobby C's Avatar
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 174
Charles, I am thinking about what I am saying or I wouldn't have said it. For the past 18 years, I have worked in the PPA business as VP of Product Management. Our Company and competitors all require the vehicle to be insured from the state it is garaged, thus the premium collected covers the exposure for our risk of loss. The reason is, the vehicle will most likely be driven in the state it is garaged in, not where it is registered. Anyony, including some posters in this thread register a vehicle in a state they do not live in nor have any intention to live in. Secondly, financial responsbility limits are different from state to state. Most companies want the premium for the amount of exposure they are insuring. For exmaple, CA minimum Bodily Injury FR limits are 15/30. TN on the other hand is 25/50. Big difference in exposure. Why would I want to insure someone that lived in TN that had their MH registered in CA? I would be providing 25/50 limits and collecting 15/30 premium.

My Company chooses to not allow vehicles that are registered and garaged in two different states for this reason. I said in my previous post, most companies fall into this category, but some companies may allow writing an out-of-state vehicles.

If you look at most mainstream companies, the garging zip is used to rate the policy. Furthermore, Companies file rates based on zip codes for that state.

In commercial policies, the vehicle could be registered to a company that is out of state. But, the insurance is generally provided in the state the vehicle operates.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34SBD Ford F 53 Chassis

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mt. LLC recommendation? BOB E General Discussion 2 11-06-2008 06:47 PM
New Jersey & LLC reg GG1 Northeast Region 5 05-21-2008 10:26 AM
Montana LLC /NKK Ecker Newmar Owner's Forum 17 08-09-2007 09:02 AM
Detroit Chassis LLC Skip- Kerrville, TX Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 7 07-15-2007 06:02 PM
Montana LLC ChiefJohn General Discussion 1 01-15-2007 11:30 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.