Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

C Class or 5th Wheel

We currently have a TT and are looking to switch to either a C Class or 5th Wheel. Opinions/comments on each?
Jeff78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

Haven’t had a class C but have had 2 TT’s and 2 class A’s.

We prefer the class A. When you pull up to camp your house is already cooled down, you center up, hit your auto levelers, blow the slides and grab a beer.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #3

Thank you. That does make sense.
Jeff78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Depends on a few things.... how many will be in the RV? what kind of RVing do you do? weekends only or do you stay a week or so? What size are you thinking about?

Typically, Class C don't have any outside storage space.
If getting a Class C, will you tow a car? Otherwise, you'd be breaking camp to go siteseeing or shopping.

Is the truck you have now suitable for the 5th wheel weight you are looking to buy?

They both are good in the right circumstance. Tell us a little more....
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Haven’t had a class C but have had 2 TT’s and 2 class A’s.

We prefer the class A. When you pull up to camp your house is already cooled down, you center up, hit your auto levelers, blow the slides and grab a beer.
Same with a class C!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #6

You can't beat a class C to drive, but I just got back from Miami 2.5 mos, now I was buy myself and it is 32', after awhile I felt closed in. Did the same with my 5er, to stay in 1 place for an extended period the 5er was better, but I still prefer the C and ease of everything. You need to make choices of what you want to do with your RV. Nobody on here can tell you what to buy...good luck
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

We've had both. Had a 35ft triple slide 5th wheel. Now we have a 24 ft class C. Our C has at least as much outside storage as the 5th wheel. Interior space....5th wheel wins hands down. We have camped for a month or more in the 5th wheel and been comfortable. Just got back from a three week trip in the C. Also comfortable.

There's only two of us. Of course, most 5th wheels are really only designed for two regardless of what manufacturers say.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

We have a 32 ft. C with one slide and tow a car. Left home 12/20 and on our way home now. Depends on what you comfort/pocket book level is. We have traveled in the past with 2 85 lb dogs and an extra person for 3 weeks out west!
Old 03-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #9

C Class or 5th Wheel

Prefer a fifth wheel here: I don’t want another drivetrain to maintain.

I’ve never seen a MH floor plan I just loved.

My general feeling is you get more RV per dollar with a FW even if you have to buy the truck. You can take the money you save and put it towards a battery system capable of powering your AC while you travel

I grew up towing and don’t mind a trailer.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

Class C - Sleeps a bunch, but storage is small. House can be heated or cooled while you drive. Bathroom, Fridge, TV, Pantry are all within easy reach.

5th Wheel- Could sleep as many as a Class C, but typically a lot more storage and home like features. Not so accessible until you stop. Can get as fancy as your pocket book allows.

We had a Class C for 16 years and traded it in on a new Class A three years ago. Class C was great for dragging our Jet Skiis upland down the West Coast when our kids were younger..now we use our Class A to visit the grandkids and explore the western US.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #11

I don't agree with this at all, the reason I went to a C is that I needed to buy a new truck to pull my 5er, I paid almost the same for the C that a new diesel truck would cost. Yes I was at the right place at the right time...
Old 03-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #12

That is Freqz post someone posted while I was typing
Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #13

My C has storagebthat they call a garage. Has 3 openings one each side and one in back. Chairs, table, grill stand and grill. Sat receiver, box of goodies to make repairs if needed and 2 20 lb propane bottles not counting the other compartments down each side.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I don't agree with this at all, the reason I went to a C is that I needed to buy a new truck to pull my 5er, I paid almost the same for the C that a new diesel truck would cost. Yes I was at the right place at the right time...

Well not all pickups are diesel, 4x4 or have leather seats.

How much would your C have cost with a diesel drive train?

Tags
5th wheel