Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Calif Ag Stations

Re entered California yesterday at Dorris on US 97. Living near Tahoe, I've been through the Ag (Bug) stations many times over the years and it's always been a simple process. When I pulled up, the agent asked where I'd been. I told him and he asked if I had any fruit. I said no and was ready to proceed as usual. He then asked if he could come in my motorhome and check my refer. I was shocked. I repeated that I didn't have any fruit and he said OK I believe you so you can go. Is this a new policy by Cali? When entering California, has anyone else had the agent ask to enter your motorhome?
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, but it was years ago on the SB I-5 station.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

Yeah on 80 in April...he had a news camera with him so I just thought he was being thorough for the camera! Camera didn't come inside...he didn't even look in anything
Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

Is it like any other side of the road search, can you refuse and force them to get a warrant? What if they come in (without permission because I'd never give it) and see something illegal but not ag related, can they act on that? Just wondering what the legal aspects are. I have no intentions of ever going into California again, I'm just curious as to what authority they might have. As far as I know, only the Coast Guard has the constitutional authority to conduct a warrant less non-probable cause search.

But then, I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV either.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I would of said, take your boots off and come on in.........
I suppose he would of said, go ahead and go on your way.....
Old 07-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Last time we went through a CA Ag check, my wife was driving the car and was in an adjacent lane. When he asked if I had fruit in the MH, my response was I have no idea, ask the lady in that car. I fully expected him to ask to take a look, but he just waved me through.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #7

The Department’s legal authority for conducting vehicle and commodity inspections lies in the California Food and Agricultural Code, specifically Sections 5341-5353 and 6301-6465. Although submitting to inspection is voluntary, vehicle and commodities are not allowed to enter until released by an inspector.

I guess if you don't allow them to check, they can refuse to let you enter California.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #8

Some older folks might remember when the State Police
had check stations entering California.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same happen last fall when driving my toad. Crossed at Parker and the stop was at Vidal Junction (CA62 and US95).

After I told him I didn't have any fruit, he asked if he could look in the trunk.

I said: "What are you looking for?"

He said "Fruit and vegetables"

I said; "What happens if you find a dead body or a trunk full of guns and ammunition?"

He said; "Thank you, have a nice day."

I guess I'm on "that" list now....
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #10

I came thru the station on I-15 coming home from Vegas last weekend - car in front of me just got waved on but the agent had me stop. Agent asked if I had any fruits or vegetables, so I fessed up to what I had, which had been bought at home in Calif. Agent said "those are fine, have a nice day" and waved me on.

Sounds like they may want to talk to people in motorhomes more than in cars? We are mostly friendlier and more fun of course, but maybe they know we have kitchens and reefers on-board that could have plenty of nasty fruit? I have room for several dead bodies too, but I've never been asked about that.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

The other thing they are asking about is firewood because of sudden oak death.

The good news for Southern Oregonians is that if you are headed either to or from the Oregon coast via US 199 they are recognizing that your may be just an Oregonian in transit. The last many times going back and forth I am greeted with, "headed to Brookings" or "headed back to Oregon."
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote