Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
California currently buys about 30% of its electricity from out of state. If they boost the amount of electricity they require, the additional power will also come from out of state - they have no current plans for expansion of their own - and so the additional pollution will be generated out of state. The rest of the SW USA will be California's China, to which all that nasty production pollution will be outsourced.
AS a Control Operator for SCE in their power plants I just sit back and chuckle when I read CA banning/mandating ICE and pushing for Electric when they can NOT supply the current demand and have to rely on out-sourcing from other states

SCE has been 'importing' power since the 1970's

CA will end up going black like TX did few years ago and just like TX it will be of their own doing.
*TX shot themselves in the foot due to no interconnections
*CA will shoot themselves in the foot by the rediculous mandated increase in energy they do have have ability to provide
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #58

I have not looked into this subject in great detail but the making of Lithium Batteries is not very green. No one talks about that.
Steve70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #59

Simple solution...
All new yard storage sheds will have to have solar roofs with charging ports to charge all the battery powered equip stored inside.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Simple solution...
All new yard storage sheds will have to have solar roofs with charging ports to charge all the battery powered equip stored inside.

It would work. 😊
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Simple solution...

California has already done that...

"The California solar mandate is a building code that requires new construction homes to have a solar photovoltaic (PV) system as an electricity source. This code, which went into effect on January 1, 2020, applies to both single-family homes and multi-family homes that are up to three stories high."
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
AS a Control Operator for SCE in their power plants I just sit back and chuckle when I read CA banning/mandating ICE and pushing for Electric when they can NOT supply the current demand and have to rely on out-sourcing from other states

SCE has been 'importing' power since the 1970's

CA will end up going black like TX did few years ago and just like TX it will be of their own doing.
*TX shot themselves in the foot due to no interconnections
*CA will shoot themselves in the foot by the rediculous mandated increase in energy they do have have ability to provide
From reading the rest of this thread... it looks like the new regulations will be for ICEs 19kW and smaller. A back up generation system with a larger engine, for direct DC charging on a low emission ICE (this new law also allows "zero emission" ICEs starting in 2028) to supplement other charging methods could be on the equipment trailer. The payback from a pollution standpoint is the difference between one relatively clean engine and a dozen very dirty engines. I'd hope that reason would prevail (but we're talking laws/regs/sausage making)...

Not all the electricity has to come from the grid.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
From reading the rest of this thread... it looks like the new regulations will be for ICEs 19kW and smaller. A back up generation system with a larger engine, for direct DC charging on a low emission ICE (this new law also allows "zero emission" ICEs starting in 2028) to supplement other charging methods could be on the equipment trailer. The payback from a pollution standpoint is the difference between one relatively clean engine and a dozen very dirty engines. I'd hope that reason would prevail (but we're talking laws/regs/sausage making)...

Not all the electricity has to come from the grid.
Not just this new proposal involved

All new passenger cars and trucks sold in the state by 2035 be zero-emissions vehicles.
*The Executive Board of the California Democratic Party recently adopted a resolution calling for the end to new ICE car sales across the state by 2030.

Medium- and heavy-duty vehicles get an extra decade to comply, but by 2045 these too must ditch internal combustion engines.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #64

"To cover the costs of a $150 monthly electric bill with a 2,000 square foot roof in California, Tesla recommends a 6.14 kilowatt solar roof with one Powerwall battery. According to their website, this Tesla solar roof system would cost between $48,200 and $63,070."

So it looks like the solar option is far too expensive to become viable for operating a landscaper's battery powered tools.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
"To cover the costs of a $150 monthly electric bill with a 2,000 square foot roof in California, Tesla recommends a 6.14 kilowatt solar roof with one Powerwall battery. According to their website, this Tesla solar roof system would cost between $48,200 and $63,070."

So it looks like the solar option is far too expensive to become viable for operating a landscaper's battery powered tools.
Meh. Most of these companies around here have enclosed 20 to 24 foot trailers. A robust solar, AGM battery and inverter system on those trailers would cost around 7000 bucks. Power walls are a completely different application.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a very hard time understanding the thought process for all ICE's to be phased out, and electric power taking over.

The power grid is having a hard enough time now. Are new lines being built? What will dependably feed the new grids when they are built? Wind and sun are great when they are working, but we all know they are NOT 24/7.

BTW, one volcano can emit more pollution than all of California can in a year. And that's not talking about THE big one the scientists say is coming up under Yellowstone!

A little reading if anyone is interested..........

https://www.mydailyinformer.com/yell...r%200.00014%25.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Meh. Most of these companies around here have enclosed 20 to 24 foot trailers. A robust solar, AGM battery and inverter system on those trailers would cost around 7000 bucks. Power walls are a completely different application.
I don't think a roof on a trailer will be able to keep a trailer full of battery powered equipment charge up and ready to go for the morning route.

My guess is that a large part of the impetus for this new rule is not only to get rid of small ICEs but to get rid of small landscapers, as sad as that is. These landscapers are largely part of the shadow economy of illegal aliens who don't pay taxes. Get rid of them and they will have to find jobs with corporate landscapers who must be thrilled at the prospect of battery powered lawnmowers. In the end the costs will be passed down to the campground and then to you the RVer. Follow the money here and you get a whole new perspective on what's really going on. It has little to do with air pollution.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I don't think a roof on a trailer will be able to keep a trailer full of battery powered equipment charge up and ready to go for the morning route.

Yep, it can. A trailer full for a typical grounds maintenance company around here is typically one ride on mower, 3 push mowers, 4 trimmers, 4 blowers, and a few miscellaneous hedge trimmers. Typically all 40 to 56 volt stuff. So yep, no problem. Start with a healthy AGM battery bank charged up in the shop overnight. 2 to 3 kw solar on the roof. Solar is cheap. Back it up with a low emission propane generator “just in case” and you are good to go. It won’t work everywhere, but it will work in a lot of situations.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
So, they are expecting the solar panels to recharge all the batteries overnight? I wonder how much solar energy is available from the moon on a cloudy night?
Old 10-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
So, they are expecting the solar panels to recharge all the batteries overnight? I wonder how much solar energy is available from the moon on a cloudy night?
Nope. Read it again. Plug it in to the shop overnight. Start fresh in the morning. Solar is complimentary. This is already happening. It’s not cutting edge tech.

Tags
california, engine