Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I find it interesting that small engines are a target when changing codes to prohibit lawns would have a larger impact. In the mid 70s the area in California I lived in experienced a drought and a lot of people abandoned their lawns and installed dry landscaping. Even saw AstroTurf lawns. Doing that state wide would not only reduce small engine use, it would reduce water use too. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
I think I agree with the law from California but this is true too.

Suburban lawns, leaf blowing etc are ridiculous first world problems and resource hogs along with the HOA rules etc that frequently go with them.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #114

Just a thought......

https://www.amazon.com/flux-capacito...flux+capacitor

Remember, they use to make movies about going to the moon
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #115

My 2 acre lawn is just whatever grows native and I don't water it. I mow my property about 4 or 5 times a year. I use a 1991 Murray riding mower. It takes about a gallon of gas to get the job done. So, I burn about 5 gallons of gas a year to mow my property. I've changed the oil maybe 3 times in the last 10 years (it stays clean looking enough). I don't see how I could be any more efficient than that. I'm living "green" and didn't even know it.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
So if you read the article whose link the OP posted it says that The National Association of Landscape Professionals is against the rule because it will more than double the cost of landscaping equipment. Now, who uses more landscaping services than an RV park? This means higher camping fees. $5 per day ought to cover it.
Or they will just have really tall weeds. Actually Ive been buying Stihl AP battery powered tools lately (mower, hedger, trimmer) and they aren't that much more expensive and they are basically no-maintenance and 100% reliable. So it could be a time savings for landscape contractors. And as production goes up to meet demand, more companies will enter the market, products will improve, productions costs will decrease and competition will drive costs down. Maybe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Gardeners will be able to keep their ICE equipment going forever. Very easy to repair, though there might be a few gardeners that go for the subsidies and switch over to electric. It would be nice not to hear those engines roaring every time they come by. Still trying to wrap my head around how you make a generator without a small ICE ..
Probably more subsidies for battery banks such as Teslaís lithium Power-wall, charged of course by burning fossil fuels

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninsd View Post
A battery powered generator would be silly - more likely the state will require that all generators must be of the plug in type - or maybe that they run on pixie dust -
I think they believe they will run of lofty goals, misguided ideas, and good intentions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
Time to open up a store on the California Nevada border.
Well right now I have to buy halogen lights, decon, and some other things elsewhere. No reason to think this would be any different.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #117

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
My 2 acre lawn is just whatever grows native and I don't water it. I mow my property about 4 or 5 times a year. I use a 1991 Murray riding mower. It takes about a gallon of gas to get the job done. So, I burn about 5 gallons of gas a year to mow my property. I've changed the oil maybe 3 times in the last 10 years (it stays clean looking enough). I don't see how I could be any more efficient than that. I'm living "green" and didn't even know it.
I have a Polaris EV that I charge from my RV solar. I like it because its quiet, its free energy, and it wont start the dry grass on fire.

My son has a big solar installation and runs everything he can on it - Chevy volt, electric riding mower, Polaris EV, all household appliances, etc. Because it makes sense financially.

Theres lots of good reasons to use non-ICE powered equipment, but this measure is not among them.

I noticed it also includes chainsaws. That would stop a lot of work from getting done including emergency clearing of down trees, and vegetation removal for fire prevention, and of course logging (part of the plan?). There are no electric saws capable of anything other than light trimming. As usual these decisions are being made in the absence of, or in spite of, real facts and information.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Emissions........
Just kicking the can elsewhere

And far few emissions per hour of device operation. That's the entire point. Not just physically moving the point the pollution occurs at, but doing an equivalent amount of work with much less pollution to start with.

As I pointed out up thread, all the electricity need not come exclusively from the grid, and that multiple choices of supply will be important.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post

I noticed it also includes chainsaws. That would stop a lot of work from getting done including emergency clearing of down trees, and vegetation removal for fire prevention, and of course logging (part of the plan?). There are no electric saws capable of anything other than light trimming. As usual these decisions are being made in the absence of, or in spite of, real facts and information.

The regulations have not been written yet; only this enabling legislation has been passed and signed into law.

I believe the first implementation will be in 2024, IIRC.

My guess is that when the proposed regulations get to the workshop and public hearing stages, the constituent groups will have lots to say. How persuasive they will be remains to be seen.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
And far few emissions per hour of device operation. That's the entire point. Not just physically moving the point the pollution occurs at, but doing an equivalent amount of work with much less pollution to start with.

As I pointed out up thread, all the electricity need not come exclusively from the grid, and that multiple choices of supply will be important.
Thats true but the real problem is that the state couldn't even do its own business without this equipment, much less many essential comercial endeavors, on many of which the state depends, so there is probably a long string of exemptions, exceptions, extensions, etc. Which is probably why the article included this statement: “ The new rule will be implemented by January 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is "feasible," whichever date is later. ”
Old 10-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #121

I haven't seen any comments about where all this non-ICE equipment and it's associated solar charging equipment is going to originate. Apparently, Californians think it is a good idea to shift all this pollution from the West Coast of North America to Asia, specifically China. We all know, this equipment will be made in China, using slave labor with little environmental protections. The stuff will then be shipped across the seas polluting the oceans even more before being delivered to local big box stores. But as long as it is quiet and my illegal immigrant gardener is not polluting the air all will be fine. I doubt this is what the environmental movement meant when they said think globally but act locally.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I haven't seen any comments about where all this non-ICE equipment and it's associated solar charging equipment is going to originate. Apparently, Californians think it is a good idea to shift all this pollution from the West Coast of North America to Asia, specifically China. We all know, this equipment will be made in China, using slave labor with little environmental protections. The stuff will then be shipped across the seas polluting the oceans even more before being delivered to local big box stores. But as long as it is quiet and my illegal immigrant gardener is not polluting the air all will be fine. I doubt this is what the environmental movement meant when they said think globally but act locally.
It's OK
All those container ships will just sit off shore of LA and Long Beach Ports....polluting the waters/air all along the So CA coast line
Then 100's/1000'sof trucks to move all that cargo

It'll be just fine.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I know Im preaching to the choir here, but to be a success these policies donít have to be effective or solve a problem; they donít even really need a problem. To be judged a success, all they have to do is further an agenda.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #124

"GREEN"
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I know Im preaching to the choir here, but to be a success these policies donít have to be effective or solve a problem; they donít even really need a problem. To be judged a success, all they have to do is further an agenda.
C'mon guys... Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OZ.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	346081  
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
McCohens - Who mows your lawn for $40??? We started mowing ours again because it went to $80 in 3 years; we started at $60 and in went up each year. We have about 1/2 acre with a house, 2 sheds, trees, and a paved drive.

I remind the DW that I originally (in 1995) wanted artificial grass but she replies it cost too much then, and now we're too close to the end of a good run and it costs even more for the stuff. We love our EGo mower, weed trimmer, and blower, and the investment was only (tongue in cheek) $1,000, AND with easy monthly payments costing us about the same as having the yard mowed for those two years of payments. Oops, I need to talk to her again so she can explain again how we're saving money. It is quieter, though.
Neighbors next to me and behind me are paying 40 a week. Unlike so many on this topic I don't make numbers up. I quote references and use reality. My ego mower after 5 years is nearing its end. Not a well designed product. Transmission is noisy, and the wiring to the handle is shot, had to rewire to get speed control back. The batteries on my B&D weedwacker are down to 10 minutes of life so trimming has to be spread over 2 days. But the unit is 5 years old and the best I got from a gas unit was 2 years before the carb died or the string advance didn't.

Still with the pollution created by small engines I am willing to live with these issues. The only one in the neighborhood though.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
california, engine