Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Dutch Star Don posted, "A few years ago, ALL Californians were asked to use their appliances (like washing machines) in the evenings to reduce the power draw on the system. Now, they're telling us not to use them in the evenings and are charging more for power after 5:00pm."

In the mid 70's, Austin City Electric Utility asked all users to reduce their usage by 10% so as not to burden the city-owned grid. Well, being good citizen hippies that we were, over a couple of months we actually reduced usage by nearly 15%. The city then raised their rates because they were losing revenue (from reduced usage). Huh? You go California.

Same thing happened with one of our earlier droughts. Water company asked us to reduce usage. Then they raise rates cause they aren't selling enough water.

I don't like that these kinds of actions are especially hard on poor families. Affluent people are not really harmed if the water or utility bill increases. People already pinching pennies can't handle the increase.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #86

@followingsea
"California has some problems. We can only hope that they do not export them."

What do you think is happening to Nevada and already happened to Oregon and Washington?
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I am not sure about your area, but around here most gardeners and lawn maintenance dudes drive around in pickup trucks with 1 or 2 lawnmowers, a gas string trimmer or 2, a gas hedge trimmer, and some grass fertizer to keep themselves in business.

I doubt that they can afford high tech solar and lithium setups without some huge help from the government. By that time I will be doing my own lawn.
This is an excellent example of a dying field. Buying a robot mower that recharges itself will be my choice in a few years. And yes I can make a system using batteries and a solar panel to charge it for free. Just waiting for my battery mower to wear out.
MCCOHENS is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
*The Executive Board of the California Democratic Party recently adopted a resolution calling for the end to new ICE car sales across the state by 2030.

Right there is the scariest thing I have seen in this discussion, and I may get sanctioned for going here, but I am a Veteran and a Patriot and must point this out.
Why is a body neither elected by, nor appointed by it's elected representatives attempting to set governmental policy?
Well that is how it works in the US. Anyone or any group can PROPOSE a law but the elected officials get to vote on it. And you can call, visit, write your representative and voice your concern. So what exactly is your problem?
MCCOHENS is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
This is an excellent example of a dying field. Buying a robot mower that recharges itself will be my choice in a few years. And yes I can make a system using batteries and a solar panel to charge it for free. Just waiting for my battery mower to wear out.
That is happening here as well, or st least on properties well suited to the existing robots. And a completely independent shed based solar and charging station is under a thousand bucks now with no need to get power to the shed. Kinda cool.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I am not sure about your area, but around here most gardeners and lawn maintenance dudes drive around in pickup trucks with 1 or 2 lawnmowers, a gas string trimmer or 2, a gas hedge trimmer, and some grass fertizer to keep themselves in business.

I doubt that they can afford high tech solar and lithium setups without some huge help from the government. By that time I will be doing my own lawn.
Yah I can’t say I have seen that type of operation here. Most are an enclosed trailer. Typical crew of three. We have had a few different grounds maintenance companies looking after our town house community over the years. Our present company is already migrating to battery trimmers and blowers. Our strata hires companies that are leaning that way as we all agree the gas trimmers and blowers have to go. I would imagine lawnmowers are next. Lawmakers will have no problem getting support for this in many places.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
@followingsea
"California has some problems. We can only hope that they do not export them."

What do you think is happening to Nevada and already happened to Oregon and Washington?
What is happening?

I am a Washington State resident. I have real estate in Washington and Nevada. Shop in Oregon. My property in Nevada has doubled and tripled in Washington.

I used live in California. My nuclear power jobs went away. What I got by moving was good schools, low taxes, clean air, and little crime.

[Mod Edit]

[Mod Edit]

[Mod Edit]

Power, the lectric kind, is for the people.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
.... And yes I can make a system using batteries and a solar panel to charge it for free. ......
If you ignore the cost of solar panels and batteries.

Up until I was 30 and got out of the navy I was one of those people that had to consider the cost of everything.

I do my own gardening because I enjoy the work.

I get that people do thing they enjoy because they can afford the cost.

But how does goverment mandating ineffective and expensive things affect the people doing your yard work?
Old 10-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #93
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Warning

This thread is turning more and more political. Please keep politics out of the conversation as you all know the rules.

Thank you to those posting within the Community Rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #94

I'm pretty much used to this non-sense.

A couple months ago I upgraded to a new dual fuel Champion generator because I like to run on propane. But couldn't get it shipped to California. So once again, it was another 4-hour roundtrip drive to Cabela's at state-line (Nevada) to pick one up. Ironically enough, I probably emitted more carbon dioxide emissions driving my truck to and from than the generator will ever emit on propane.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Dutch Star Don posted, "A few years ago, ALL Californians were asked to use their appliances (like washing machines) in the evenings to reduce the power draw on the system. Now, they're telling us not to use them in the evenings and are charging more for power after 5:00pm."

In the mid 70's, Austin City Electric Utility asked all users to reduce their usage by 10% so as not to burden the city-owned grid. Well, being good citizen hippies that we were, over a couple of months we actually reduced usage by nearly 15%. The city then raised their rates because they were losing revenue (from reduced usage). Huh? You go California.
Back in the '80s SCE in So. CA asked customers to reduce/conserve their energy usage due to High Demand/Brown outs/Grid overloading
Customers complied...cut usage and SCE was pleased...so pleased they then set the new usage as BASE and if you exceeded your new base it cost you $$$...higher kw/h pricing
SCE did nothing W/O looking at future means of PROFIT

Degegulation came in 2000...SCE 'had' to sell their Power Plants so they could not 'influence' the market
'HAD' to sell-------they were the biggest pusher for that requirement
Got rid of all their power plants/liabilities
*Kept their Nuclear Plant due to license/planned decommisioning

So when Energy Companies push an adgenda it isn't for the benefit of the consumer.....same with legislation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #96

How many acres of lawn could you mow with a 72" Zero Turn mower before you needed to change or recharge batteries?
Old 10-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
If you ignore the cost of solar panels and batteries.

Up until I was 30 and got out of the navy I was one of those people that had to consider the cost of everything.

I do my own gardening because I enjoy the work.

I get that people do thing they enjoy because they can afford the cost.

But how does goverment mandating ineffective and expensive things affect the people doing your yard work?
Well, the battery alternatives are certainly not ineffective. Expensive is relative after considering maintenance and fuel etc.

Can’t speak for everywhere but there is a ton of support where we are to force a gradual move away from gas powered trimmers, blowers and push mowers.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Well, the battery alternatives are certainly not ineffective. Expensive is relative after considering maintenance and fuel etc.

Can’t speak for everywhere but there is a ton of support where we are to force a gradual move away from gas powered trimmers, blowers and push mowers.
Emissions........
Just kicking the can elsewhere
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
california, engine