Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

California to Ohio

Hello everyone we are newbies to the RV world and finally getting on the road as retirees. We are planning on leaving California the first week of March and arriving in Ohio the second week of May. We need all the help and recommendations out there. Here is a short list of questions we have:

1. Memberships?
2. Trip Planners?
3. Should we make reservations for spots to stay?
4. What about mail on the road?
5. What does the flames underneath the names mean?

We are excited we made it to retirement but being on the road has little bit of "What are you getting into"? We have a 2016 33AA Tiffin and a Jeep Trailhawk for our toad.

Sorry if in the wrong forum. Been known to do that also. If so please direct me.
LBCOACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Lots of questions, we all had them. Welcome to the forum.

Memberships really depend on where you will be staying. My favorite is the Senior pass for Federal Parks, Corp of Engineer Parks. I think it was $20 for a lifetime pass and gets half rate at COE Parks, which I love to use.

Sam's is cheap too, but savings are limited, but since it helps at Campers World, we joined.

You will figure what is best for you, based on the type of places you enjoy staying at.

Have fun and relax.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just traveled from Indiana to California. If I had made reservations I would have had to cancel them all. The wind was horrible, the weather was awful, many days I had to stop early, never had that problem before. Plus I had to alter my route to way south so for me flexibility is important.

But then I never make reservations anyway, I stop when I'm tired or whatever.

The only time I do is when I go to Florida and stay at Sherwood Forest in Kissimmee, I usually stay a few weeks so do.

I'm in Vegas now and staying at Circus Circus on the strip, its handy to everything, just a blacktopped RV park but full service, clean, and reasonable.

I also have Coach Net for emergencies and always stop before dark. On occasion stay at truck stops, Walmart, or Cracker Barrel but rarely. Still if I need too I do.

Enjoy yourselves, don't stress and have fun. Others that travel a lot more then me may have better suggestions, I just don't like being tied to a schedule.

And I'm an old lady that travels with my daughter and cat when I go. Have a diesel pusher, old, and a tow car.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #4

that amount of time and distance... wing it.. weather is the biggest unknown.

even One flat tire on the second day.. will mess up all you well made plans.
then it becomes Work.. not Fun.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Passport America and America the Beautiful senior pass are must haves, IMHO. They readily pay for themselves. We are Elks members, many of the lodges have low cost facilities or allow parking lot stays.

Make your plans a day at a time. Take your time. Travel only a couple hundred miles a day. If you like it where you are, stay awhile. If not, move on. If you see a sign for the world's biggest ball of string (or whatever else catches your fancy), go see it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Thank you.

What do some of you use for mail service?
LBCOACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCOACH View Post
What do some of you use for mail service?
We use St. Brendan's Isle and have been very pleased with their service.

www.sbimailservice.com
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california