Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Call me stupid

Expensive learning experience. When purchasing our MH, talk revolved around the need for a service contract. The salesman sold us the Platinum coverage from Coach Net assuring us that all expenses including towing would be covered for any issue/breakdown. Last week we were travelling in northern Ontario when the coach quit. We were on a road that is not widely travelled with no homes on it. Finally a car came by and promised to call a tow truck for us. The tow arrived 2 1/2 hours later and towed us 50 miles back to the nearest town. We arrived there at midnight and were dumped off at a truckstop. The next morning I tried to get service and found that there was no help to be found in that town. I was going to have to be towed to a larger town approx 200 miles away. When I contacted Coach Net to cover the tow, they informed me that they had a $300 limit. Our tow bill was $1800. Lesson learned. Don't trust what your told, check it out yourself. Hopefully the stupid tattoo will fade over time.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #2

Wink

I am confused. Maybe I missed something. This is from the Platinum Plus and the Gold level brochures.

https://www.coach-net.com/images/PlatinumPlus.pdf

https://www.coach-net.com/images/Gold.pdf

"The Emergency Roadside Assistance benefit provides for one service call per disablement for a service provided by a commercial road service provider, locksmith or wrecker service to provide the following services:

• Towing
Towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility as determined by Coach-Net."

I have the Platinum Plus. Not that I have read everything, but I don't see a $300 limit written anywhere. I have a 41 foot MADP. With the tow truck or low boy needed to tow it, I don't think that many tow services would even show up for less than $300.

It does say that there is no reimbursement for service which you contract for yourself.

You might want to call them again and ask where it says a $300 limit. This coverage is expensive. They should have picked up the entire bill. Is it possible that there is a limit when out of the country?

If you call, please post their response.

Paul

Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
They were the first one that I called. They spoke to the wrecker directly and told him of the LIMIT OF 300. He then handed me the phone and I questioned the limit. I was told that that was all they would cover and to contact Freightliner and Cummins to see if they'd cover any of the tow bill as it was a warranty issue.

340 RK
Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
When purchasing our MH, talk revolved around the need for a service contract. The salesman sold us the Platinum coverage from Coach Net assuring us that all expenses including towing would be covered for any issue/breakdown.
CoachNet is an emergency roadside service, not a service contract. How much did your dealer charge you for this?
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I pulled out my CoachNet Platinum Plus Member Benefit Guide and see no place where they say anything about a $300 limit for towing. My guide says the exact same thing as quoted in Paul's post. The ONLY place I saw anything about a dollar limit was under the Accidents/Vandalism/Fire section which does not apply in your case (and the reimbursement limit there is $500).
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
somethings missing
I just phoned coachnet to ask about limits, they said exactly what the booklet said" tow to nearest qualified service," if you don't like that one and you want to go somewhere else it's your bill.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Turns out that coachnet provides the road service for the service carrier I have as a sub contract. I have no idea what if any restrictions the primary carrier has over coachnet. The original cost of the contract was over $7000. The coverage was for 7 years. I do not know if there is no restriction if dealing directly with coachnet.

340 RK
Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Expensive learning experience. When purchasing our MH, talk revolved around the need for a service contract. The salesman sold us the Platinum coverage from Coach Net assuring us that all expenses including towing would be covered for any issue/breakdown. Last week we were travelling in northern Ontario when the coach quit. We were on a road that is not widely travelled with no homes on it. Finally a car came by and promised to call a tow truck for us. The tow arrived 2 1/2 hours later and towed us 50 miles back to the nearest town. We arrived there at midnight and were dumped off at a truckstop. The next morning I tried to get service and found that there was no help to be found in that town. I was going to have to be towed to a larger town approx 200 miles away. When I contacted Coach Net to cover the tow, they informed me that they had a $300 limit. Our tow bill was $1800. Lesson learned. Don't trust what your told, check it out yourself. Hopefully the stupid tattoo will fade over time.
The way it is today.
I don't understand what went wrong.
We used to be good people.. ethical.
If you bought something you got what you paid for.
Warranties were guarantees.
No fine print which ends up meaning you give them your money and they give you nothing.
No advertising something for $10 but shipping and handling is $20 and if you act right now the second one is free and all you have to do is pay shipping and handling on it too.
I don't have much problem with change but this part of our unethical world is distressing.

BTW same thing happened to me.

Just sayin
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #9

I use Coachnet, I have called them once, our MH quit on I-59. I called Coachnet, explained my problem, they tried to help me trouble shoot the MH unsucessfully.They called back in a short time and gave me two option for repairs. I chose one, approx 45 minutes later the tow truck arrived, towed the MH to the repair facility, I said thank you and that was it. My MH was repaired and we were back on the road the same day. I have been extremly pleased with Coachnet.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #10

Wink

My thought would be to call CoachNet and see if you can and what it would cost to upgrade to the Platinum or Gold. If you can't, you might want to consider getting another (new) CoachNet account that will cover towing.

IMHO, CoachNet may not be perfect, but it is the best available. I had Good Sam's. They probably would have left you on the side of the road as they did me several times. I will never have them again.

Thank you for reposting and putting our minds at ease.
Paul
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
OK, call me sour. I paid $7000 for a 7 year contract to cover everything. My first time use was for a $1800 wrecker bill. They covered $300. It doesn't take a math genius to realize that had I had no coverage at all, I would be $5200 ahead. Live and Learn.

340 RK
Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #12

What you purchased was a service contract to cover repairs on the vehicle. It apparently included a minimal tow service through CoachNet. It was not a regular CoachNet contract which will cover your tow as stated above. Additionally, you will learn that the service contract is very picky about what it covers as well. I hope you don't need it.
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
This is precisely what I found out. That is why I called this thread what I did. I was stupid in spending the $7000.

340 RK
Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #14

That's hard to fix.

Quote:
This is precisely what I found out. That is why I called this thread what I did. I was stupid in spending the $7000.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote