Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Cameras - need 4-6 - WIFI?

i am helping a client with his RV (upgrade Crestron system)
he had 2 cameras (NTSC) in the front fenders to a Crestron touch panel in the dash - these are gone now
he would like a replacement that would ideally connect to the Samsung tablets and/or android phones
this is a BIG freightliner converted to an RV, so he can tow a giant trailer i.e. 80,000 lbs
the cameras would cover the front/sides/rear, or even the insides of the trailer
suggestions for such a system?

mark
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkaye View Post
i am helping a client with his RV (upgrade Crestron system)
he had 2 cameras (NTSC) in the front fenders to a Crestron touch panel in the dash - these are gone now
he would like a replacement that would ideally connect to the Samsung tablets and/or android phones
this is a BIG freightliner converted to an RV, so he can tow a giant trailer i.e. 80,000 lbs
the cameras would cover the front/sides/rear, or even the insides of the trailer
suggestions for such a system?

mark
How do you plan to get power to the cameras? I ask because if you can get power to them you can get a signal FROM them. The idea that wireless *anything* is as reliable as wired is an unfortunate, but popular, misconception. It can be, but that level of robustness is very, very expensive and does not use consumer technologies.

I'm a big fan of copper for things that need greater reliability than is afforded with commonly available gear.

This project sounds interesting. Can you share a bit more?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #3

i think his guys can get a cable/power just about anywhere
however, a camera in the trailer would have to be wireless
for the front fenders they need to be small, or he has to mount them externally
a cat5 to the cameras (POE power) and signal to a DVR (12V) would be best for the cameras covering the RV

mark

here is the truck originally - the AV has changed, but the rest is fairly close
https://www.facebook.com/TwinsCustom...8vssqjkxfLA5JW
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

I agree it needs to be wired connections, especially to the trailer. He's got air lines and the trailer power cable to hook up, a coax connection isn't that big a deal.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
After nearly 30 years of public transit bus & rail safety, I think I’ve seen some some of the best systems... If I were planning to upgrade my system, I’d contact Safety Vision based on first hand experience. They have a lot of quality & experience to offer, and their prices are reasonable.

http://www.safetyvision.com/mass-tra...SAAEgJlbfD_BwE

If the link doesn’t work, simply google transit bus camera systems, or specifically Safety Vision at SafetyVision.com

Best of luck!

James
Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #6

If the rig has a Crestron system, then cost is not an issue. He overpaid on the control system

Run WIRED. And ideally to the trailer as well. There are plenty of connectors for this purpose.
WiFi, even when installed with great hardware has a limited bandwidth. And this is the exact same bandwidth as what your Phone / Tablets / Laptops will want to use. And Video is the largest consumer of that bandwidth.

You would run all cameras wired to an NVR (networked video recorder) and then the output of that would be an IP connection to the Rig's ethernet network. The Rigs WiFi access point would also be connected. The Tablets typically would be connected WiFi.

On the topic of NVR, on a higher end install, that would typically be a 360 view of the RVs cameras where the images are spliced together in software. That reduces the number of NVRs that could be used as not many support 360.

You could also use a 360 NVR for the rig, feeding a more standard NVR for recording and playback. The second NVR could serve the interior of the trailer / RV cameras. The Crestron system would manage which view goes to which device which is then presented to the user's tablet.

But, the data traffic is between the camera(s) and the NVR that is NOT on wifi (if wired). The Wifi is affected only when the tablet is viewing the NVR output which is only one screen of video (even if multiple camera mini views are shown on that one screen).

You would also ideally be controlling the NVR from the Crestron system. That will require the Crestron dealer to program and a compatible NVR. So, talk to the Crestron dealer on all this before making a decision on approach and brands. The cameras need to be compatible with the NVR (especially if the cameras are IP and not analog).

The output of the NVR: This can be h.264, h.265 or mjpeg...the display device (tablets?) would have to have the software to render (playback) that type of stream. If the video is to be meshed within a Crestron user interface, then the Crestron dealer has to be involved with these decisions.

For our control system this is how I would wire:

Analog cameras (Front, sides Rear) of RV hard wired to a 360 NVR. The analog 360 output as an input to an Exacvision NVR. IP camera on back of trailer, interior of trailer, interior of RV ethernet (hard wired) to Exacvision. Exacvision sending MJPEG to the control system user interface (browser). So the Exacvision would have one analog input card and ethernet (which is why that specific NVR is being considered as most all don't have that flexibility).
The control system at a minimum could control the 360 NVR via IR (not great) and IP control the Exacvision (a pro solution).

The Exacvision would be on the ethernet network managed switch. So would the automation controller. The IR would be a GlobalCache IP2IR device also on the ethernet and hard wired IR emitter stuck to the 360 NVR.

The user interface would have a view of all cameras, when clicking one of the mini pictures would go full screen to that camera of interest, and navigation buttons to put the system into 360 view vs. Interior of RV vs. Interior of Trailer vs. Rear View. All of this user interface would be within the larger control system user interface to manage all media and lighting, and HVAC and RV systems.

Do it right. If the above is gibberish to you, hire a pro.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #7

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backu...p-camera.html/

RV Cams: Monitors (without cameras)

Here are two websites that should help you find the product you need. One other great resource with great customer support is E-Trailers.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, wifi