Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrbass View Post
Cut off a beer or soda can about half way. Place in fire pit. Fill with gas, or lighter fluid. stack logs around and then over the top. Light the gas. The gas will burn a long time in the can. Only the vapors burn. This will light wet wood if your in a bind.
Using gas to light a fire is insanely dangerous.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
how about starting with pine cones and kindling? some of these fire starting examples should be left in the city
Yep. Dredge up some kindling and light it with one match if you are a remotely competent outdoors person. If you want the easy way, split a scrap section of 2x4 with the hatchet you carry with you while camping if you dont get most of your coffee at Starbucks, and light the fire with one match. No need for petroleum products to light a fire.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #31

Well I guess used motor oil is out of the question... that stuff burns through everything.. used to use .. a gallon or 2.. always have plenty.. great for weed killer and keep dust down.. can you guess how old I am.. long before p/c craziness.. good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
Using gas to light a fire is insanely dangerous.
Sure is. You lean over the can of fuming gas with a match and instantly cook your face.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #33

Gas

Evidently ya'll have never lit gas in an open top can.

It does NOT go boom. The fumes on top will burn for a LONG time.

If you spill a bunch of gas on the ground or cover the logs, yes, that will be dangerous. I've only been doing it 40 yeas, so what do I know. I learned it from my dad that used to do it in the Korean war.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:54 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well... couple squirts of WD 40 does wonders for squeaks and....
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrbass View Post
Cut off a beer or soda can about half way. Place in fire pit. Fill with gas, or lighter fluid. stack logs around and then over the top. Light the gas. The gas will burn a long time in the can. Only the vapors burn. This will light wet wood if your in a bind.

And hope the can doesn't fall over. Plus the smell of burned gas permeates all over the campground. And the mess it leaves in the firepit. Old cans and the smell lingers for days.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
Fat Wood is a miracle and is all natural. No chemicals like the sawdust logs.
My first choice as well.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:03 AM   #37

My last two trips out I found a unique way that works. First, someone came over to my house and wanted to bring something, so she stopped at a dollar store and got some cookies. They were nasty. I tried one and got a mouthful of grease. I was going on a trip the following day so I took them and they made great fire starters. Setting one on a log later, it lit up quickly and I guess once the grease was burned it, it went to a red glow for awhile. I put them all over the fire and they made some interesting things to sit and stare at.

A second was was some "buy this item get these chips free" deal. They were nasty as well and again left that grease in the mouth feeling. I lit the home grill several times with just a few and took the rest on the next trip. I lit a couple of fires with them and the last night dumped what was left into the fir and the pile actually made a black smoke cloud rising up.

So, you might have had several firestarters you've been eating and never knew the dual purpose ability.

Someone had also left some taco flavor Doritoes on another visit to my house. They were stale so I took the to my brothers house. We crunched them up ad poured the in a line across the street. We were watching the Daytona 500 so it was out start/finish line. Those chips left a grease line in the asphalt for several months. Heck, it still might even be there. So a few Doritoes may be all you need.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #38

Lit match and Aqua Velvet Hair Spray

Wet/Dry/Green wood don't matter..........

Seriously...
Match and kindling is all that is needed.
No Fans, Lighter Fluid, Gas, Kerosene, WD-40 etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
Yep. Dredge up some kindling and light it with one match if you are a remotely competent outdoors person. If you want the easy way, split a scrap section of 2x4 with the hatchet you carry with you while camping if you dont get most of your coffee at Starbucks, and light the fire with one match. No need for petroleum products to light a fire.

Ah yes, the "true outdoorsman" test. Always a great opportunity for virtual signalling over how to light a fire. In California and a few other states, just toss a cigarette butt out your car window and you can ignite 10,000 acres. No great skill or Eagle Scout badge required.

Myself, I favor flint and a pocket knife. No need for one of those noxious sulfurous matches. Gather a little dry grass, some birch bark (but not from a live tree), some dry rabbit fur from a nearby briar patch, a few twigs and pine needles, a couple of dried buffalo chips, then open your knife and shave a few sparks from your flint, lie on your belly on the ground and puff gently onto the tiny flame, and then bask in the warm glow of your accomplishment, whether you actually got a warm glow from a fire or not.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #40

Make friends with a boater or two that has to replace day/night distress flares every 3 years. They accumulate more than they know what to do with and are looking for ways to dispose of them
They make great camp fire starters... just don't use the smoke variety.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
At the start of the season, I melt some Vaseline in a pot, toss in some cotton balls to soak it up and then let them solidify on some waxed paper. I put them in a ziploc bag. To start a fire, take one out, rip it in half to expose some cotton fibres. Each cotton ball will burn for about 6 or 7 minutes. Never had to use more than one with even extremely wet wood. As a bonus, if you’re a runner and prone to chafing, you’ve got another use for them! LOL
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
A road flare, broken into 1/4's work swell, and it's a purty flame too!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire