Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #1

Camp lights on your rig ..... Yay or nay?

I just put new awning fabric on my TT and wanted some extra light. Fall is right around the corner.
I picked up a 13 ft Cool white neon strip and mounted it under the 15 ft awning.
I didn't want to be "that guy" with the bright blue or purple lights so I went with functional and practical cool white.
I won't be leaving it on all night.
I can always turn on the porch light and shut these off if it's too much also.
What's the protocol.... in your opinion?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210726_214254.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	337410Click image for larger version

Name:	20210726_213851.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	337411
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

Looks good. BTW, I am that guy with a blue LED lightstrip under his awning. The factory installed white one fell off going down the highway a year into ownership. I looked online and a replacement was around $100.00. I found the blue one on Amazon for $60.00. So that what I bought.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #3

If I were your neighbor it would annoy me. The word garish comes to mind. The lights are way too bright and way too white. About 10% that bright and around 2,500 deg instead of 6,000 on the color temperature range would probably make your neighbors much happier. On the plus side you should attract all of the neighborhood bugs.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #4

I'm parked next to my lit up garage in that pic .
How's this?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210726_222204.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	337414
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #5

It all depends on where you stay, who your neighbors are, how close together everyone parks, how late everyone else stays up, how cranky they are . . .

I've been places where those would fit right in. I've also been places where people would be knocking on your door at midnight asking for you to turn them off. You need to be able to "read the room."

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Use the light when you need to see to cook etc, turn it off when you don’t. I dim mine way down when just hanging with friends outside the camper. All outside lights turned off when we hit the sack.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
It all depends on where you stay, who your neighbors are, how close together everyone parks, how late everyone else stays up, how cranky they are . . .

I've been places where those would fit right in. I've also been places where people would be knocking on your door at midnight asking for you to turn them off. You need to be able to "read the room."
I've been in some campgrounds were the campers are lit up like something from National Lampoon. Lights under the rig, around the picnic table, down the sides of the campsite. It is hideous. But a strip of lights on a rig is always acceptable.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:30 PM   #8

We were always satisfied with our porch light.... plenty of light.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 PM   #9

At our local-owned home improvement center in the weeks preceding xmez, the staff dedicates a yuge section to xmez trees and ornaments, including tiny towns and train sets.
In the days following the holiday, all that seasonal is marked down.
I acquired several strings of all different colors.
Full-time live-aboard, everything we use runs on rechargeable-battery power.
These colored lights (may hypnotize, American Woman) operate on a pair of AA batteries.
We set/hang/drape them all over tarnation.
Next time you are close to Eugene Oregon, swing by:
https://betterheadforjerrys.com/
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
These colored lights (may hypnotize, American Woman) . . .
That was cruel. Now I'm going to be humming that for a day or two. (Sparkle someone else's . . .)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:18 AM   #11

We usually camp in wooded sites. We leave our awning light on and have a string of LED rope lights around the base of the camper. If you're asking opinions, I think that light is fine while you're out there, but I'd turn it off after quiet time.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:55 AM   #12

Bowtie Jim,

Do your lights project themselves horizontally or are they focused down?

Horizontal focused lights, in my humble opinion, are the problem. They light up the camper next to you and it makes it difficult to see the ground when walking facing the lights.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #13

I have the white factory led strip along the awning. I don't use it unless I need to mainly because it draws too many bugs that rush in when the door is opened. I mainly use a multi color rope that I can hand up in the rafters of the picnic table cover if there is one or up in the popup awning. I can set just about any color and I can dim them down to hardly nothing. I don't leave them on all night and I try to not be so annoying to others with them.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:07 AM   #14

My van has LED strip lights under the awning, but out at the end, not at the van. They're too bright, and that garish blue-white LED color, and not dimmable with the factory Firefly panel, but they work and when I need light they're nice to have as there are no other lights on the outside.

But as others have suggested, when it's quiet time, it's dark time too, IMO at least. I only use them when I need them, like for walking the dog before bed. Sitting around the propane fire pit doesn't require any light other than the flame. And if I roll in the awning just short of fully retracted, it actually does dim them a lot. All the way in pretty much blocks it all, so when I need just enough to work as a porch light, I just crack it open.

It wouldn't bother me if you were parked next to me and used them, but it would be real nice if you shut them off at night.

Tags
light, lights