Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My first thought was the "A" frame is not on there straight, same as "donnandon" mentioned. The axle may be in alignment with the frame, but unlike a car, it can't be aligned with the tongue position unless that was specifically requested.

The movement you describe sounds like the "A" is shorter on one side or off set, consequently causing your trailer to steer in one direction and then forced to steer back as you go down the road.

I would get a tap measure out and measure the distance to each wheel. Yo can set the tape dead center in the ball mount and then measure back to the inside lip of each rim.

Take a string and attach to the center of the ball mount, run it under the trailer and center it at the rear bumper. Then go to various spots on both sides and make sure the distance from the string to the frame rails is identical front to rear on both side of the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #16

I have checked some measurements, axle is in the same place as before - A frame looks straight (not twisted) each leg is less than 1/8 inch off, and is centered from side to side.

I am at a service center now - having the truck looked at again. When we had the accident and slid off the road, the tow truck went to pull the truck back to the shoulder and the wheels turned sideways and maybe this messed up something more than I thought it would.

As I said before, truck drives pretty well when not towing anything, and not too bad with a load of rock in the back... The last service center suggested replacing ball joints, and some searching sounds like worn ball joints can make you fell like you are 'floating' around on the road. And that is what I am feeling. Going down hill at 40 feels like I am on a slick/icy road and have just a bit of control... but most of the time, I feel like I turn the wheel to move to the left or right, and it doesn't respond right away, so I turn it more and more, then end up going to far, but can't correct slightly, because the steering isn't responsive.

The shop should call soon, and then I hope to know a little more. I can also try my uhaul strategy and rent a truck to test the camper out with and maybe narrow it down to the truck causing me my problems.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will try to measure from ball hitch to wheels when I get a chance.
Traveler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again, since this is a significant change from before the accident, SOMETHING is wrong; covering it up with a WD hitch is not the answer, finding and fixing what's wrong is the answer. I think renting a truck and towing your trailer with it is a good idea to isolate whether the issue is with the truck or the trailer.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #18

Lots more miles, and lots more changes, but nothing working yet. All tie rods replaced, new steering damper, and all four shock absorbers replaced. Rechecked tongue weight a couple different ways - Camper both times was 3800 total with 480 on tongue first time and 520 second time. Both over the 12% recommended (and well over 10%, but still under 15%).

Truck handles better without camper, still think ball joints may be necessary to fix it completely. Maybe the added weight to the camper overall (due to heavier frame) is just too much for it? It has some tiny 13" tires, and I have been looking at some larger and better (Load D vs Load C) 14" tires and maybe that will help it out... Decided against the WDH, but may add simple sway control (eventually, once it returns to normal). I haven't figured out how to add additional tongue weight... maybe I can just fill up the front under compartment with salt bags and try that out... my tongue is so small it doesn't have much room. Any other suggestions? Would towing with a 150 feel different no matter what compared to a 250?
Traveler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #19

Sounds like the axle may not be square to the trailer? Axle dragging it to one side, then the wind hitting it and pushing it back maybe? Shouldn't be having an issue with a trailer that light with an F250. If the truck does ok without the trailer, the problem is the trailer.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #20

You were fine before the accident now you're not. So what changed? If the new frame is square, the axles are square to the frame and aligned properly, the A frame is properly attached and aligned properly, and the trailer suspension is aligned and operating correctly correctly there shouldn't be a problem.

Since you seem to have covered everything else the only thing I can see is the weight. If the tires aren't up to the additional weight it will cause the trailer to be squirrely. And unsafe to pull long distance.

Good luck!!
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #21

This is probably not relevant,and feel free to disregard it if so, but many trailer axles are built with a slight bend in the center to provide a "toe-in" condition. This helps greatly in keeping the trailer stable on the road.

So, the question is, did use the original axle or build a new one? If you used the old one, did it get "flipped over" or reversed in some way? That could cause a toe-out condition, making it really unstable.

If it's a new axle, try to get a toe-in alignment worked out.

As I said, it's just a thought.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote