Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #15

I would much rather use our built in facilities. But since we rarely have full hook ups, I sometimes use the campground shower. Saves having to dump as often and like others, it's sometimes nice to take my time and enjoy the bountiful supply of hot water.

Don't want to get too personal but I also use the campground toilet, when convenient, if we're out camping for several days.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I've used campground facilities at times but MUCH rather use my own, ESPECIALLY the toilet. On my previous MH with the 6 gal. hot water tank, you had to limit water usage and time in the shower but you could take back to back showers if you ran both the propane and electric. On my new unit, it has on demand hot water so you can take long, leisurely showers if you want, which is nice (although I still wet down, soap up and shut off the water until rinsing!). Personally, I prefer NOT to use the public toilets, I'm no germaphobe but reality is, you really don't know who or what's been on that seat! I had a friend who bought a previous 5th wheel I had and he was bragging how they don't use the toilet except for "P" and I got a kick out of the look on his face when his wife informed him she does #2 all the time. Of course, this same guy won't let her cook because it uses "propane" and he's too cheap to fill the tanks very often!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #17

Theres usually 4 adults and we mostly weekend camp..We have found that we can all take 1 shower and not run out of water for the weekend.. WE use our restroom .. Thats One of the main reasons for getting a TT as I have some gastro issues.. Usually its just me using the shower tho.. The daughter in law showers every day , sometimes twice , and has very long hair so she usually uses the campground showers.. My DS is 6'1 an prefers the camp showers over our tiny one..My DH Usually uses the camp showers for the long hot water on his bum sore shoulder...In the campgrounds we usually frequent we havent had many issues with the facilities and the 2 times we did we called and they quickly came an cleaned. So we have been lucky..
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Personally, I prefer NOT to use the public toilets, I'm no germaphobe but reality is, you really don't know who or what's been on that seat!
So to those that say they are uncomfortable using public toilets..... what do you do when you're away from your RV? Shopping? Siteseeing?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #19

I haven't used public showers since leaving the Navy in '62, except for the time we were in the San Juans with the boat. After about a week of "sponge baths" a shower felt really good.

We use the bathroom facilities in the RV for everything, but for the most part we are "boondockers" and not in developed campgrounds that much. Even when we are we still use the RV. That has been true since we got our first TC in '78.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So to those that say they are uncomfortable using public toilets..... what do you do when you're away from your RV? Shopping? Siteseeing?
I don't know about the other poster, but from my standpoint you just do what you gotta do. Given the choice, however, I would prefer the facilities in the RV. DW is the same way, perhaps more so. Those in the RV are "ours", the others aren't.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #21
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I use public toilets when necessary but only for peeing. I rarely, I can't remember the last time, use public toilets for #2.

In a hotel I do but in a hotel I'm able to clean the toilet and bathroom before using.

I'm nuts, I know that, but I'm not asking or forcing anyone else to do things the way I do.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #22
tcg

We bought the RV so we wouldn't have to use campground facilities.

When we have company they are all welcome to use our bathroom but most times they opt to use the campground bathroom or shower. If I were a guest I would walk over to the bathrooms.

Many reasons why other campers might use the public bathrooms, I really never think about it or care.

I had a customer once with $300,000 boat, they were proud of the fact that they never used the shower or toilet. I don't get it but it's their boat and money.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 AM   #23

If we have a full hookup or are staying less than 3 days, we use our own showers. For longer stays at an electric only, or electric/water, we often use the campground's showers. Although if the shower is close by and looks clean, I will use it and leave ours for Nan.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The shower in my first TT was basically unusable for anyone over 5'6".
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I use public toilets when necessary but only for peeing. I rarely, I can't remember the last time, use public toilets for #2.

I'm just the opposite, rarely #2 in the RV, mostly pee though. I do practice the hover stance! Now the wife uses the RV facilities 100%. As camp host, I like to monitor the cg bathrooms and using them just seems normal.
We normally have FHU's 95% of the time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #26

I only use cg bathrooms (to shower) when we don't have sewer at the site. Even then DW uses onboard bathroom.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #27

Different strokes for different folks

Dry camping vs full hookups is the big reason for me. 5 days dry requires difficult water management practices.

My wife prefers using all the TT facilities. I am the one who has to empty and clean the holding tanks. I prefer campground facilities in most of the places we stay.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Don't stem up the RV that way.
Dead stem, wah; all same. You savvy?

Tags
campground