Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just don't get it, pulling into a unknown park after dark. We get in about 11-2 most days. We if don't have a reservation spots are 90+% available. Good sites too. We are more alert and can see those boulders. Only once in 5 years have we gotten in after dark, and then it was free.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:59 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm seeing a business opportunity here....6 ft tall rubber pine trees,with coil spring trunks, sunk into the ground.....you hit the tree, it lights up like a christmas tree. I wonder how much those would cost to make.... and how many campgrounds would buy them for every corner of every site. Oh never mind,boulders are much cheaper, and they last waaaay longer.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I'm seeing a business opportunity here....6 ft tall rubber pine trees,with coil spring trunks, sunk into the ground.....you hit the tree, it lights up like a christmas tree. I wonder how much those would cost to make.... and how many campgrounds would buy them for every corner of every site. Oh never mind,boulders are much cheaper, and they last waaaay longer.
I'm seeing a business opportunity too. RV body repair.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I just don't get it, pulling into a unknown park after dark. We get in about 11-2 most days. We if don't have a reservation spots are 90+% available. Good sites too. We are more alert and can see those boulders. Only once in 5 years have we gotten in after dark, and then it was free.
Some of us work full time, so we put in an 8 hour day before moving. So, if moving during the week, which we prefer so that we have the weekend for activities, we sometimes end up finishing at night, especially this time of year. We only get about 3-4 hours of drive time before dark.

On the other hand, we changed our plans last night so we could end in the daylight, as I was not comfortable arriving where we were headed after dark. But sometimes - well, it happens.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #33

Last summer my wife and I took four of our grand kids to a county camp ground in Bodega Bay Ca. It was a week before the 3rd of July (when they were going to light off fireworks) No reservations, but we were hoping for one of the first come first served sites. Well we pulled in and I could see a site was empty, I got out and asked a ranger. He said to just pull over and I was next, after he finished at another camp. So I pulled off to the side of the entrance, it left room for another RV to pull in behind me. Anyway in pulls a DP kinda looks like the one in your post, The wife got out and walked passed me and she saw the empty spot. She started waiving her arms,hands you name it, and yelling at her husband to hurry up. Well he drove that bus around me and hit those "DARN BOULDERS" every door on the bottom was destroyed. But they kept going, rushed into the spot and tried to claim it, The ranger made them leave and we stayed for 10 days.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #34

22 Inch Premium Glow Stick Necklaces - Assorted - Coolglow.com

Activate and tape to obstacles. My plan is to add white LEDs on the back corners and just behind the rear wheels and tied into porch light switch.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some of these responses are why I hate parking my trailer. I have lots of experience and usually nail it on the first try, but I know there are a few experts out there ready to tell you what you did wrong. I haven’t hit anything yet but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before it’s some late night campsite when I am tired after a long day at work and I have a momentary lack of attention.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #36

My favorite was a year ago at the KOA in Flagstaff. It is pretty tight with boulders at the corners of the sites. A big motor coach came up to the site in front of us and started to pull in (about 11 in the morning, bright sunny day). No one came out of the coach to spot. He was able to get around the big rock on the right just fine, but he hit the seat of a picnic table behind it with his right front basement door. He hesitated a couple seconds and kept pulling forward. The picnic table was pushed against another rock on the side of the site and started to dig into the basement door. He paused again then started forward, rotating the picnic table between the rock and the side of his coach until every door on the right side was scraped and dented and the picnic table was destroyed. But at least he didn't hit the boulders turning into the site...
Old 12-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #37

You are saying that this all happened so quickly that there was no way anyone could have flagged him down, rapped on the side of the coach, or done anything to get his attention, so he would not continue to damage his coach?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #38

I dragged a baggage door over a low rock wall, much to the delight of two gals sitting outside enjoying their morning coffee not 30' away, and the show!

The body shop fixed my mistake.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I achieved the impossible task of getting our former Pace Arrow up an icy road to my wife's business partner's mountain chalet. Then later through 8" of snow on a backroad I should not have been on. (same trip). Tired and proud, I went to load up my ATV when the socket came off the ball and I put the tongue of the trailer through the back cap. When asked later why the new reflective tape on the back? Just a safety precaution...which was true...to safely remind me to lock the stupid trailer tongue. Sold the RV and have never admitted anything.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #40
Yaj

I maintained a large parking lot (300+ spaces) that had wood rail fences around it. I was always repairing the fences.
I replaced the fences with very large boulders and never had to fix one!

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #41

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Last summer my wife and I took four of our grand kids to a county camp ground in Bodega Bay Ca. It was a week before the 3rd of July (when they were going to light off fireworks) No reservations, but we were hoping for one of the first come first served sites. Well we pulled in and I could see a site was empty, I got out and asked a ranger. He said to just pull over and I was next, after he finished at another camp. So I pulled off to the side of the entrance, it left room for another RV to pull in behind me. Anyway in pulls a DP kinda looks like the one in your post, The wife got out and walked passed me and she saw the empty spot. She started waiving her arms,hands you name it, and yelling at her husband to hurry up. Well he drove that bus around me and hit those "DARN BOULDERS" every door on the bottom was destroyed. But they kept going, rushed into the spot and tried to claim it, The ranger made them leave and we stayed for 10 days.
I LOVE instant Karma!
In any tight spot, DW drives and I direct. She follows instructions MUCH better than I do.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #42

I’m not going to say anything to jinx ourselves or have karma pay us a visit.
I will say that the time you may have thought your nailing it is the time you should probably get out and have a good look. Lol
Crap happens, our biggest challenge is getting up and down the driveway without falling in the ditch or careening into the ravine.
We had a lengthy discussion on what is considered the edge of the grass.

I bought my rig with a dented basement door. I’ll fix it after a while. It seeems to ward off the boulders and RR ties campgrounds are so fond of.

Tags
campground