Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Campground Directory

Which Campground Directory does everyone use and why. Do you buy a book or use the Internet.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We buy Trailer Life one year and Woodalls the next and always check campgroundreviews.com for a camper's opinion
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Passport America & Camp Club USA directories often list campgrounds for a locality that aren't listed in TL or Woodall's. Quite often Chamber of Commerce websites list campgrounds as well.
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks ED. We are just now getting back into camping after being out for about 35 years. I did not know about Rv park reviews site, will check it out.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Passport America Directory first. Next is the Trailer Life Directory.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'll check iRV2's listings first. Although sparse (& I'm doing my best to add to them), the ones that are detailed are right on. I especially like ones with pictures. Pics from members are more accurate than the glorified (i.e. wide angle lens shots to make a cramped site look spacious!) ones on websites. I try to include pics of actual sites with my reviews since lots of CG websites don't do that. They'll show pics of the ammenities or people shots, but not site fotos so you can get an idea whether or not your 40ft+ MH & toad will fit or how shady/sunny the sites are.

Next I use campgroundreviews.com. You have to take ratings there w/a grain of salt. A single CG can range anywhere from low to high in ratings depending on the particular circumstances the camper encountered. I try to look for a pattern of consistency in the ratings to get an overall opinion. Sure you're gonna have occasional 1's & 2's even amongst a CG that has consistently high numbers. I just chalk that up to someone having a unpleasant experience (maybe it rained their entire time or the pool was closed for service...etc).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
As you probably know there are a lot of them. For books, I buy Woodall's and pick-up a KOA at a KOA or RV show. On-line I use many because of the ease of viewing them. Here are a few

RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls
Camping and Campgrounds - KOA Kampgrounds of America, Inc.
Camp Club USA Discount Camping Club - 50% Off Campground Rates
RVingUSA Template Horiz Header
RV Park Reviews :: Home

I also go to the individual state campgroung listings. Here is the one from NH
http://www.ucampnh.com/

And of course there is a source of info here on iRV2
http://www.irv2.com/campgrounds/
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #8

On our four month trip around this great country of ours this year we used:

Campclub USA
AAA
IRV2

In that order. We used IRV2 to see what all of the group thought about places we were considering.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #9

Pete & Linda,

Thank you so much for asking this question. We're pretty new to RV'ing & my biggest issue has been locating campgrounds. I've used Woodall's, AAA & internet searching (which can get totally confusing ). I've also started using IRV2!! I want to thank Cousin Ed, NLOVNIT & Nonno for all the internet sites. After checking out a few I already feel my searching will be much easier!!

Happy RV'ing
Mary

Rveer'sGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I use the electronic version as much as possible - Trailer Life Guide on CD and a saved file of the Passport directory. Have paper of both in case I don't have the computer handy.

I also use the online directory/reservation service for RPI, Thousand Trails and the US federal park systems (recreation.gov).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #11

Since we mostly camp at State and Corp of Engineer Parks, we use the TL CD, the recreation.gov, and reserveamerica.com. We alo use the last two sites to make reservations.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes Mary thanks to everyone for all their help. Good sites.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

We use Google Maps or Google Earth. Pick where we will be and search on 'campgrounds' or 'RV parks'.

You will then get a more complete list of places than you will find on the fee based listing in the books. Most of the time there is a link to the parks website where you can view a sitmap, photos of the park, and reserve a site. If a link is not present you can search again on the park name for additional info. This search will many times direct you to campgroundreviews.com. For us, if a park does not have a website we take that as a sign.

We prefer Google Earth as then we can really 'see' what the place looks like and its proximity to town, shopping, freeway, trains, etc. You can also see the layout of the park, trees, roads, etc. As a bonus you have directions in front of you. Much more info than the books.

We have never been burned by this method. Can't say that about the books and we have had them all!

Downside of this is you do have to plan ahead. Hard to log onto Google Earth at 5:00pm driving down the interstate.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimectrin View Post
We use Google Maps or Google Earth. Pick where we will be and search on 'campgrounds' or 'RV parks'.
Steve & Sherri,

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I was using Google but in reverse. Locating a park and then looking at it. Just tried the search in Google Maps and up came a great list of parks!! I'm with you on wanting to "see" where the park is located and general area. Especially if we're going to a lake for fishing and want to be as close as possible.

All these tips are definitely making my searching easier!!!

Thanks again!!
Mary

Rveer'sGal is offline   Reply With Quote