Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #43
IC2

I'm not going to repeat what others have said about getting mostly ready the night before. But I will say that starting up a very loud diesel and letting it run for 30-45 minutes before you leave to 'air up' and/or warm up will not make any friends.

And at Arcadia, I do recommend Timberland Acres RV Park. Good people, mostly huge pull through sites and only about 14 miles from the park main entrance (the road to the park has lots of good restaurants as well).https://www.timberlandacresrvpark.com/

Also, Arcadia is in two locations with Schoodic a half hour further North and just as beautiful. As long as you have traveled that far, continue up US1 to see the Lubec area and cross over to Campobello Island in New Brunswick. https://acadiamagic.com/

That Cabellas mentioned is just outside of Scarborough Maine and just off I95. Lots of good CGs nearby in the Old Orchard Beach/Saco/Scarbough area plus a very nice KOA 5 miles outside of Freeport (LL Bean main store)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #44

I agree with a lot said here... And again, thanks for asking. If we need to leave early, we do, its the slamming door thing that gets to me... I , as you, try to be aware of others... Thanks again. Monkey
Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #45

I disconnect sewer and water and pack outdoor stuff (chairs, etc.) the night before. If I have the room I back the truck up to the FW the night before also. In the morning I pull in slides and run jacks while on shore power. Disconnect shore power and away we go. From the time I get out of bed untill we drive off is less than 30 minutes.

I NEVER idle my diesel.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For me, a lot depends upon what it takes one to "pull up stakes and leave" in early morning hours of the day. If its solely a matter of starting the coach and pulling off and away relatively quickly then little harm is done. Alternatively, if the move involves hitching up the tow vehicle, disconnecting shore power, water & sewer, lowered in the MH from jacks, operating slides, and all the residual noise that can come from that, i.e. opening/closing cargo bay and entrance doors, etc. then I tend to do what is possible the evening before, possibly tell my neighbors that I'm planning an early departure or otherwise just wait until at least 07:00 am before starting such a move. A lot can also depend upon the size of the campsite. If I'm a relatively good distance from my neighbors then the impact is far less upon them vs. being parked "rally style" right next to others.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I have had my MH for 3 years now. Up till now most of mt trips have been to the Race Track where i club race with SCCA, but this year I am planning on using it to take more trips where i will be staying or passing through using campgrounds.

My question, I am planning a trip to Arcadia National park, I plan on taking a few days to get there and stop on the way.

My question, I would like to get up and leave from a campground like at 6am, but in order to do so, I need to start the coach, pull in the slides and pull up the levelers.

I no doubt will wake the folks next to me. Is this rude? is there an unwritten rule when your are good to go?
Rude? No. Inconsiderate....maybe.
But it's not likely you got to know them while you were there or that you will see them again anytime soon. They'll live.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
How would YOU feel if jolted awake at 0600?

Enjoy the trip!
Is pulling up camp really that loud?? I'm awakened daily everywhere I've lived by garbage trucks, dogs, birds singing, my cat wanting breakfast, etc.
It's part of life.
Without knowing who you are beside, they could very well be awake sipping their coffee wondering when they can leave so as not to awaken their neighbor. LOL
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I have had my MH for 3 years now. Up till now most of mt trips have been to the Race Track where i club race with SCCA, but this year I am planning on using it to take more trips where i will be staying or passing through using campgrounds.

My question, I am planning a trip to Arcadia National park, I plan on taking a few days to get there and stop on the way.

My question, I would like to get up and leave from a campground like at 6am, but in order to do so, I need to start the coach, pull in the slides and pull up the levelers.

I no doubt will wake the folks next to me. Is this rude? is there an unwritten rule when your are good to go?
ftodaro,
Well, I didn't even bother reading all the responses. Your question about leaving is related to all kinds of topics on here and other RV forums. One in particular is, engine idling. I won't go into details here as it would pages and pages of arguments on idling.

One person said that they think that "08:00" is the standard for departure. Well, WHO'S STANDARD? There' fifty gazillion RV folks out there in RV land, all over the U.S. and, everyone has their own STANDARD of when to get up, when to pack up, how courteous they want to be when around other RVers and all that. Some coach manufactures design features and safety items in their coaches like, the engine MUST be running in order to retract and or, deploy slides. Ours however, does not require the engine to be running for the jacks or the slides, in or out, up or down.

It's very nice that you ask about this type of thing. Ultra long story short, we were camped in Gettysburg campground and, we were getting ready to switch spot's 'cause ours was not available for as long as we wanted to stay. So, about the time we were getting ready to start putting things away for the short trip to the other side of the campground, a neighbor started his diesel rig.

Well, it took me a whopping 3 minutes to pack up all we had out. Then, I put away the shore power line and hose and, dump hose, about 2 minutes total. At that time, since we were actually going into the travel mode, I had to start the engine and hit the "store" button on our HWH control panel for, raising the Jacks and, filling the air bags. When that system is ready for us to release the parking brake and, put the rig in drive, it takes about 1-2 minutes, TOPS.

So, all in all, from the time we started packing, to the point I put the rig in drive to move to the other spot, about 6-7 minutes total. We then moved to the other site, across the campground. We took about the same amount of time, to set up. That includes auto leveling and, getting hoses and shore power out and hooking up. I then put the awning out, floor mat and, a couple of chairs and, a table. The drive, from the one spot to the other took about two minutes 'cause I wanted to be courteous and not raise dust and, zoom around as there were kids on small bikes etc. here and there.

So, from the start of packing, to the point we were sitting down in the other spot, oh, about 15 minutes, plus or minus.

The AIR HEAD that started his diesel, wasn't doing anything for prep for departure, for all that time. We could hear his coach all the way across the camp ground. He did not come out of the coach, for another 20 minutes AFTER we sat down in our new spot. At that time, he SLOWLY started putting things away, and, getting ready to leave. All in all, his idle time for that diesel, that morning, was almost an hour.

He was getting all kinds of bad looks, and I could see folks sort of yelling and pointing and making all kinds of gestures at him while walking by with their kids etc.

So, the point, you are very considerate to ask about your departure time, procedure and all that. All you have to do in situations like this is, USE YOUR HEAD. If you can do most of what you need to do WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE, then do it, it's not rocket science. Then, when you're ready to head out, fire the beast up, do what's needed to be done at the requirement of that engine running and, pull out. Don't goof around. Some diesel drivers think they MUST idle for anywhere from 10-30 minutes before they put it in drive, or their coach will blow up. Well, that's clueless for ya.

Yeah, you're not going to please all the folks, all the time. Heck, if you pushed your rig out at the time you're thinking of and grunted a bit, you'd still piss some folks off.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #50

My pet peeve is the person who uses their key fob to lock their vehicle, beeping the horn in the process.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
My pet peeve is the person who uses their key fob to lock their vehicle, beeping the horn in the process.
According to my owner's manual, the first click locks the doors and the second click activates the alarm. The horn is verification that the alarm has been set.

I think that on at least one of my vehicles I can disable the horn notification.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #52

Campground etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post

Without knowing who you are beside, they could very well be awake sipping their coffee wondering when they can leave so as not to awaken their neighbor. LOL

Yes, they may be listening to the birds, or sleeping, or enjoying the "quite time" in many other ways!
I respect my neighbors. I assume they are as courteous as I am.
My diesel will not be started before the stated time. Some will rudely not heed Camp rules, nor respect their neighbors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6949.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	189739
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #53
tcg

Oh my gosh, I'd much rather hear an RV start up early in the morning and pull away than what I'm listening to right now at 5 in the evening.

The neighbor kids (20 somethings) just got an old Honda Fat Cat and a snowmolbile.

They've been running up and down our private road for an hour now when there is a perfectly good frozen lake they could be on right in the backyard that would put them out of earshot.

Now that's just rude.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Oh my gosh, I'd much rather hear an RV start up early in the morning and pull away than what I'm listening to right now at 5 in the evening.

The neighbor kids (20 somethings) just got an old Honda Fat Cat and a snowmolbile.

They've been running up and down our private road for an hour now when there is a perfectly good frozen lake they could be on right in the backyard that would put them out of earshot.

Now that's just rude.

A bit off topic, but I understand.
You can't pick your relatives or you neighbors, but if you are renting (i.e.: camping) you can move. [emoji6]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #55

In a 5 star hotel I would certainly have an expectation of "quiet".....in a RV campground not at all. If you have to leave early, have at it and we consider it the nature of the beast.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #56

If I had anyone starting up before 7AM I'd be royally pi$$ed. You want to move that early, go stay at Walmart. Not too pleased about hearing an engine between 7 & 8AM either but acceptable.

Then there are the people who think it necessary to let a diesel 'warm up' for 10 or 15 minutes before moving, but that is another thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground