Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Wrap your site in Police Crime Tape "Do Not Cross"
This has WON it for us, we will not have crime seen tape around our area. I love it and thank you
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #44

I can stand a lot of "noise" when I'm in a CG. Kids will be kids, so I don't mind them playing outside (away from my spot of course). The occasional dog barking doesn't bother me. I totally understand the guy that gets in later than he wanted to & spends more time than usual trying to back his rig in his spot in the dark, all the while listening to the clacking diesel from his '05 Dodge Ram (those things are loud, but I love 'em. That's the way a diesel SHOULD sound!). There are things that just go along with camping in a CG.

What I can't stand is the loud music that those other campers know nobody else wants to hear. Even if I didn't mind the song they're blasting over there, I've got a stereo in my rig too. If I wanted to listen to some tunes I could go inside and turn it on. I don't remember anyone asking them to be the sound system for the entire CG!

What usually goes along with the loud music is even more offensive to me. Loud music in a CG almost always means that the occupants of that CG are cussing L-O-U-D-L-Y. Usually because of a few to many, I assume. There seems to be an overall lack of "campground etiquette" there, to say the least.

That bothers me for obvious reasons, but I really don't want my kids around that kind of stuff. Music is one thing, but drunken rowdy cussing really bothers me and I didn't go through all the trouble of bringing my family down for a weekend (or longer) in our RV to listen to that. I wouldn't tolerate it at home, so why would I anywhere else?

I think that some people actually think they're SUPPOSED to crank up the tunes when they get to a campground Now, I'm not talking out being able to hear your radio when it's on from the next site over - I'm not that sensitive! You know the guy I'm talking about, right?

A little consideration, that's all I'm asking for!
heypilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #45

Road rage---- campground rage---with todays nutcases you never no if the person causing the problems is drunk; on drugs, or both. there are many cases of these nuts simply pulling out a gun or knife and simply blasting away. confronting these nuts is not smart-----report it to the ranger and keep out of it-------my advice.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I just joined this site on a recommendation and posted a question, I got very little useful information

I'm going way out on the limb here but you seem to want every thing to be perfect, maybe some people just don't understand what they are doing. Such as your very first post being a question instead of an introduction, then when given the first answer you somewhat correct the person giving you that answer, then when you get a spot on answer you don't even thank the person for doing so, but point out in this post that you "got very useful information"

It's sad we live in times like these, that we can't at least start a dialog when all of us are at the same place for the same reason.
If RV'ING is one of the last great pleasures, and we don't go out and start talking to one another, things will only get worse.
"Come out come out wherever you are"
Peace y dulces suenos
I know you did not come here to be rude sometimes things just happen that we do not realize it when they do. I know it took this post to make sure if I pull in late not to let go of my cargo doors making extra noise when I close them while setting up, heck I most likely won't even set up until mid morning and for sure I'll run the generator to top off the batteries before even pulling into the CG.

Yes I'm very new to it all and the old dog needs to be taught some new tricks so as not to seem like I'm being rude.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #47

JohnRR, I think you're being a little presumptious about the reason/s I came here in the first place.
I did not introduce myself because I was not certain I wanted to be part of this group. I was searching for information that was not forthcoming.
I did not correct anyone on my previous post, I stated that the responder was giving me info that I neither wanted or had any use for and did not answer the question.
As for as staying with this group I think I will return when I retreive my tu tu from the dry cleaners.

RayIN, peace=pax peace is english dulces suenos is espanol for sweet dreams.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
On one of the forums I frequent someone was showing off the latest 'mod' they'd made to their rig. They'd added a gazillion watt 'thumper' sound system. My 'contribution' to the thread was that I hoped I was never in the campsite next to him (after the fact, I was thinking no site in the campground may be 'safe'). You can imagine the responses to that.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I stated that the responder was giving me info that I neither wanted or had any use for and did not answer the question.
As for as staying with this group I think I will return when I retreive my tu tu from the dry cleaners.

RayIN, peace=pax peace is english dulces suenos is espanol for sweet dreams.
BOY, I can certainly empathize with THAT description!

Ran into the same situation on a Ham Radio board - asked a SIMPLE question with clearly listed parameters and precise info as to what I was asking for, and why!

I was immediately flooded with REAMS of non-info that wasn't even close to what I had asked for, offered by a group of self appointed/proclaimed "gurus" who all appeared to be suffering from ego-overload and the need to impress all readers with their vast (but well off-topic!) Pontifications!

Their "advice" was well off-topic, info I was already well aware of and NOT what I was looking and clearly ASKED for - and when I griped about it, *I* was the one singled out by the moderator as the "troublemaker"...

All of which demonstrated to me, the pointlessness in any further question in that group, as well as the substantial deviation in tolerance from one board to another, and the implementation of "discipline" by moderators - over there, wide departure from a thread topic was readily permitted - and if the OP complained about it, HE was the "bad guy"...

THIS board is very much the opposite - and often, the SLIGHTEST wandering off topic will get you reprimanded - or worse - as I may well be from THIS post...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
I notice that anytime there is a thread about campground etiquette (sp?) or similar, some people are reasonable in expectations and some are down right sensative.

I nor my family will cut through an occupied space. I make a point to remind them of it when they leave our site each and every time. I don't appreciate it, therefore I don't do it. I usually plan ahead and reach my space before dark, if for some unforeseen reason I don't we try to enter and park as quickly as safety allows and shut down. Other than the slides and elec. and water hook-up I wait until the next day.

Now This is one that gets me from people, and the OP was complaining about noise at 7a.m.. Most Campgrounds have rules and give you a copy at check-in. By and far the norm for "quiet" time is 10p.m. til 7a.m. for most if not all campgrounds. That means come 7a.m. if you need or want to set-up or break-down it is allowed. I'm not talking about blare the stereo or scream at the top of your lungs, but if you have things to do such as unhook the toad or load it for a day trip, then go about your business. I know that my coach is well enough insulated that I've had DP's beside me crank and leave without me even knowing it, let alone a few spaces away.

I like to get an early start on travel days and if it will be before 7 I speak with the nieghbor on each side to let them know. I will pack everything the evening before and if possible hitch the toad. Come morning I simply unplug, disconnect my water hose and leave as quickly as possible at an idle. I also air the coach up the evening before if I've been there a week or more, this cuts idle time before moving the next day.

I know some people are more sensative than others to noise and or have a lesser insulation factor on their unit or it's windows, but nothing gripes me more than one guy in a Florida CG last year. I waited until 8:30a.m. since it was a Sunday, did the procedure I described above the afternoon before. I dropped the jacks, started the coach and pulled out of my space. The DW was waiting with the toad and pulled up immediately as I locked the brakes, 3 minutes to hookup ( no place at entrance of CG) and was re-entering the coach to pull off when the guy from 4 spaces down walks up. " You know you should have shut that thing off to hook-up, you woke my wife from a dead sleep!". Excuse me but it's 1 1/2 hours after quiet time and the whole process was under 5 minutes, the idle was quieter than the shut down/restart. I try to be as courteous and mindful of others as possible but some people want you to live according to their whims and/or convenience. I'll not rant any more about it, but it was the only time in 25 years of camping that anyone has complained about one of my actions.

I try to be courteous and friendly, stay off of any occupied (as in RV or tent present) space, Carry no pets with me, have no alcohol visible to others or none at all with me if my kids are present, And smoke in my own space out of wind shot of the nieghbors windows if open. I also strictly observe quiet time although I've contended with screaming kids at the pool til midnight or later with their parents when the pool closed at 10p.m., so I expect the same as I practice and nothing more. If I sleep in and my nieghbor wanted to hit the road early at 7 then I really can't complain as quiet time is over and I know it.

Just my take on the campground experience. I've had people cut through only a few times and when asked nicely not to do so I've had no problems. I have no problem with people who do bring pets as long as they are controlled properly, not using my space for a bathroom (and I say something to someone who attempts this but in a nice manner) or barking non-stop all night. As far as any rowdy drunks causing a commotion, I had this happen once. I simply informed the campground management who took care of it. I learned not to confront a rowdy drunk if you aren't the person in charge many years ago when in my twenties unless you want or like to fight.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
. . . As far as any rowdy drunks causing a commotion, I had this happen once. I simply informed the campground management who took care of it. . . .
Unfortunately some campground managers will not enforce their own rules. They're afraid the drunks will not return with their group the next year. Result, I, nor my group will return anytime and they will lose the business that I/we had been referring to them.

I don't mind anyone having any kind of dog. Kindly take that yappin flea bag with you during the day so that we don't have to listen to the dog "that doesn't bark" bark his idiot head off all day while you're gone.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #52

I have found the solution to noise... David snores... sometimes quite loudly. I also dislike noisy parking lots (but we stay in them anyway) and noisy campgrounds. We also have a house behind our current campgrounds whom I would love to take a baseball bat to their stereo system (24/7 thumping). Earplugs! When inserted properly, they work great. Muffles sound to the point that I can go to sleep, yet usually hear the alarm clock go off (David never hears it so I do unless I am dead tired).

Shop 3M 80-Pack Ultra Soft Disposable Earplugs at Lowes.com
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I don't mind anyone having any kind of dog. Kindly take that yappin flea bag with you during the day so that we don't have to listen to the dog "that doesn't bark" bark his idiot head off all day while you're gone.
YUP - that "dog that doesn't bark" when locked up unattended as the owners gaily trip off to some point of interest for the day, are just about as rare as the owner who "ALWAYS supervises and picks up after" their dog

And I gotta tell ya, I object JUST as much to having my freshly polished RV/vehicle wheels pee'd all over, as I do the "complimentary/decorative piles" left around the campsite I've rented for the day...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
How bout this one.

We were recently in south Texas at a state park. There were two rv's including ours from Texas and the rest snowbirds. Now don't get me wrong, each one that I met I thanked for coming and spending money in our great state. The one that got me happened to be my next door neighbor. This park doesn't have sewer connections but my neighbor decided to dump his gray water just as we arrived. Guess where the water flowed...down hill and into our site. Gray water or at least their gray water smelled awful. I tried in my best southern hospitality to explain to him you can't dump your gray water on the ground and he politly informed me he could in his home state state parks. I later found out he had only been there two days and was going to be there another twelve-six more dumps maybe(?). I notified the park rangers and let them handle it. My real point is, "YOU CAN'T COME DUMP ON TEXAS".
..."and you don't mess around with Jim" -
Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I owned a Mobilhome Park and was getting complaints that some kid had his speakers on his front porch and kept cranking them up. I asked him to please turn the volumne down and when he refused I simply went up on the porch and jerked the wires out of the back of the speakers. He sputtered and popped and and had spit coming out his mouth he was so worked up. I then told him the next time he does it he and his whole family would be evicted. Problem solved.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #56

I've never had any real problems camping . I look to see what sites are open and try to stay away trouble spots. As a kid my dad always stayed away from main crossings or trail heads and water. the places that got the most foot traffic. Hauling water and hiking to and from the bathrooms was good for us But as they say "fences make for good neighbors" you can always get one of these Bear Repellent Portable Electric Fence Bear Deterrent Bear Protection Bear Defense

ischua is offline   Reply With Quote