Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

Campground fees really skyrocketing

Someone had reported on the increase in CG fees but never realized they were doubling. One CG I use had fees 3-4 years ago of $43-$52 per night. Checked for reservations last week for late September and fees were $84-$91 per night, and nothing available in July, August, or September.

Checked on another one and fees were $70-$80 per night and again nothing available. These are nothing special, just gravel campsites, no concrete pads, no grass, and few trees. Didn't realize things were bad enough campers would, or could, pay exorbatant fees like these.

Still looking but may end up spending this fall at home instead of our usual camping. In the past a week or two advance reservation was sufficent in the fall but guess things have definitely changed. Hope others are having better luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #2

Where are you hoping to stay in Fall?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Things have certainly changed. Went to make reservations for October a couple of weeks ago and wasn't able to get into a decent site at the campground we wanted to stay. Had to do some looking and finally found something in another park. Not what we wanted but better than nothing.

Sure hope this is a fad that doesn't last too long.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's busy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Right on par with just about everything else....sigh.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Where are you hoping to stay in Fall?

Mostly western Colorado. Usually move around some never staying in one place all the time. Found one site in a CG that mostly has very tight parking spaces where side by side campers have trouble both putting out awnings which kind of takes the joy out of visiting the mountains.

Been camping in this area for over 25 years, but with health problems for the wife and I, plus the pandemic, it was difficult to tell when and for how long we could make reservations until just recently. Unfortunately too late.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #7

Campgrounds have lots of mandated expenses placed on them just like other kinds of business. When the government (local, federal or state) mandates additional costs on the the employer/owner you can bet those will get passed on to the consumer. There just ain't no free lunch no matter what anybody tells you. Factor in the additional demand and the impossibility of any increased supply in most locations due again to government mandates, and increased costs to the consumer are the inevitable result. It's not just campgrounds. Everything else will follow. That's just the way our economic system works.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #8

Don't tell anyone but the state parks around me haven't gone up.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Prices on everything are going up and it rolls down the chain. We have found CG fees up 30-50% over what they were a year ago. Even most state parks are now over $40 a night.
Our budget for CG fees is 50% higher and we hope this covers it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
State parks near interstates, population centers, or in-demand locations seem to be up a bit, but the more out of the way places are still quite reasonable and not crowded. Also look at county and city parks in small towns. Some of the best deals out there. I don’t bother won’t NPs at all - not worth the hassle to me and I’ve seen enough of them over the decades traveling with my kids.

We just got back from two months and had very good luck finding nice CGs in pleasant locations, usually on water, with plenty of room, peace and quiet, and reasonable rates - free to around $30.

We also found some high dollar gravel lots with hook ups in places where there wasn’t a lot of choice, such as Rock Springs Wyoming KOA. It’s on I-80 and we felt like stopping so we paid the price~$50. But we did that less than once a week, depending on need. Most SPs have water and a dump station, so we didn’t bother with private RV parks much. If we felt like driving 25 miles out of the way we could have stayed on the Green River for $22 and if we were staying for several days we would have.

So get creative and be willing to go a little farther out away from the maddening crowds, which is the point anyway, and I think youll do just fine.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:37 PM   #11

If people are clamoring for your spaces, booking you up for a year, and paying whatever, then why would you not raise your prices? From the campground owner's viewpoint. I mean they are running businesses and looking to turn a profit. I like to go to less visited destinations and have no issue. However we have family members who are bound and determined to go to the most "popular" and jam-packed places. If we want to join them it always costs double what I'm in the habit of paying. But there are plenty of people still lined up to take my spot should I choose to let my reservations go.

They're charging what the market is bearing apparently, that's all. We're lucky the state and out of the way campgrounds haven't followed suit. Yet.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #12

Read an article that dynamic pricing is the future in rv campground pricing. Prices will fluctuate in real time based on demand. Very interesting.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Read an article that dynamic pricing is the future in rv campground pricing. Prices will fluctuate in real time based on demand. Very interesting.
Great idea!
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If people are clamoring for your spaces, booking you up for a year, and paying whatever, then why would you not raise your prices? From the campground owner's viewpoint. I mean they are running businesses and looking to turn a profit. I like to go to less visited destinations and have no issue. However we have family members who are bound and determined to go to the most "popular" and jam-packed places. If we want to join them it always costs double what I'm in the habit of paying. But there are plenty of people still lined up to take my spot should I choose to let my reservations go.

They're charging what the market is bearing apparently, that's all. We're lucky the state and out of the way campgrounds haven't followed suit. Yet.
What do you mean I can't charge $5 / gal of gas during a Hurricane? We have laws against price gouging in FL and your question/example above sure sounds suspiciously like price gouging. They were ok with what they were making before Covid and now we should pay them more? Don't we see enough unwarranted "Covid Upcharge" for just about anything where someone claims a supply chain problem and "I need to charge more"?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground