Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2022, 03:18 AM   #57

Laugh at me if you want to. I'll laugh with you. I don't have a problem, but that's not to say I never will. If someone wants to help me, I don't mind. I'll still back in with my skills, ignoring them if necessary.
I certainly don't mean to be rude when I'm laughing. If I can help let me know. I'm willing to help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2022, 04:33 AM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
In early August we were camped nose out looking at a field that was cut up into trailer parking, overflow, and tent camping. A 45' dp pulled up with a 35' box trailer on the end. He got out of the coach and she climbed into the driver's seat. He walked to the rear drivers corner and started giving hand signals like I've never seen.
He keeps walking along beside the corner of the coach looking at the box trailer and giving signals never looking at her until I'm sure the box trailer is in jack knife. Then he holds is arm up and twirls it. The front wheels take a 58 degree cut and then lean over and continues backing. It had never dawned on me that the overhang on the coach would instantly take that trailer out of a jack knife.
She backed that trailer into that spot perfectly.
It was definitely "E" ticket entertainment and I thanked them for the demonstration.
dick
Did they say if they were military? Back a couple years ago a guy posted on a thread like this that he and his wife had both worked the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. They used all the military aircraft control hand signals they were taught on the carrier (very effective when beside an F16 at full throttle). Claimed they could back their rig in perfectly every time using hand signals, and during a typhoon if they needed to!!
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #59

Backing

We came to rv from sailing. Try backing your rv in a spot and pretend the wind or current is pushing you into another rv or tree. It was stressful. You never give advice unless asked but we always grabbed a line to help tie up. Backing the rv is is ten times easier.
D dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:04 AM   #60

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
We have been hit four times; once our 5th wheel was clobbered with an off tracking 5th wheel going in in front of us, and three times are motor home has been hit. The last one was a brand new camper (his statement) and again he was too close to us, swung in and his awning supports hit our MH. Bad thing is, there were 4 adults in his truck and nobody got out to help make sure he was clear. If we get hit again I think that will end our camping life (according to the wife). People need to 'learn' the rights and wrongs of pulling in and leaving campsites. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I've been backing trailers since I was ten. Not bad at it at all.

Then I bought a little 10' long cargo trailer to hitch along with my 29" Class C.

I have never had so much difficulty backing a trailer in my life as I have with this combo. I know I've provided lots of entertainment with it.

Got me right over that sort of smug self-satisfaction of watching newbies of which I know I was guilty before.
Been doing it a longggg time so I feel good about my backing abilities. Have no trouble backing the boat down the ramp with the motorhome on almost every trip.

I ended up buying a short utility trailer in 06 and found quickly, that it didn't back the same as most trailers. Turning the steering wheel the teensiest bit gets the trailer turning quick. I can only imagine the trouble I'd have trying to back it behind motorhome. Needless to say, hope I never have to do it, especially in front of a crowd.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:35 AM   #62

A little over a year ago I cried bitterly in a parking lot as my husband tried to teach me how to back up my TT for the first time. I just couldn’t get it and I desperately wanted to be able to solo camp, since my husband doesn’t share my passion for the outdoors. Believe it or not - it all clicked for me when I bought a little toy truck and started to play with what happens when it backs up. I could clearly see how moving the cab one way made the trailer move another way when backing up. For anyone struggling I recommend playing with a toy truck in your living room.

90 nights later I’m pretty good at backing up solo. I can back up in my long driveway and land on a little yellow leveling block that is always left in the precise spot I need to be in. Yet - because I have read over and over again about the sport of campground watching - I am still anxious every time I pull into a campground that people are watching me, and sigh a big sigh of relief once I’m safely in. I have to really battle with myself not to think of other watchers and to focus on the job at hand and it’s my least favorite part of camping.

I do pretty well solo, BTW. I read about all the husband and wife pairs and their hand signals. I pull up to my site, place orange collapsible cones at the right and left of the entrance, at the spot at the rear I’m aiming for, and one alone the side. I do hop out of my tow vehicle several times during the process to confirm I’m going along the right line as I can’t always see things clearly, like picnic tables and grills. I move relatively quickly and with confidence and have never had anyone offer to help and usually end up where I want to be in the first try. I suspect I look like I know what I’m doing. Yet - I’m still anxious when I know other people are around, and that’s mostly because of threads like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1E3FBC0-0CFD-4CEF-879E-95F9336B9E49.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	375933  
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:53 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Souljourner, what a great idea, I have never thought of that. And good for you not to quit and creating your own process. Although I have backed up all kinds of things since being young, I too know the eyes are on us every time we go into a tight spot. You have the right attitude, and a great process. I hope others take note of your process and it inspires them to come up with their own.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #64

Campground Funnies

Hi folks, I had not wanted to create a fire storm and make others upset about trying to park their trailers in their site. Maybe I should have said “Head Scratchers”. Yes I tried offering help but I got the old stink eye leave me alone and I got this. Others yes great full in wanting your help. I have been an entertainer when backing up in spots you wouldn’t believe like Whitehorse in the twilight in tall trees on a curve, or awnings out on the trailers, or folks with their tow vehicle still attached to their trailer and they stand there arms crossed giving you the good old stink eye making sure you don’t hit their vehicles. Big rigs and their humungus slide outs sticking in your site that you can’t get into so you need to go around and ask for another site. Vehicles parked in at an strange angle but won’t be curtious in moving them out of the way. Try Tofino BC they cram you into whatever space they have no clue on the rig size when you tell them. Living Forest Nanaimo BC narrow roads tight spots vehicles half on the road, half in their spot. Homer Alaska tight spots crammed together like sardines only thing missing is the oil. Posts really hidden in the grass or trees or to close to your site for parking. Tourists that rent this big units I swear these rental companies don’t care here’s the keys have fun, no basic pointers to make sure they understand when parking their rigs. Yes some places you need a shoe horn others are great spots most people are helpful. I ask but if they don’t want your help I just walk away and read a book or go for a walk. But you just scratch your head ok walk away if the answer is no. Like in previous post I mentioned it was really strange to see this spotter as if they where actually driving the vehicle when getting into the spot, then this person should have driven the rig themselves the poor drive had no clue in what the spotter was trying to do. Get out check your mirrors to look communicate with your spotter and things will go well. Again I didn’t want to make people upset or create a fire storm in the title some it’s funny to others it’s not. Just be safe and have good communication with your spotter go help if they want, but don’t be angry if you have eyes staring at you cause you didn’t want the help.
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #65

I will always offer assistance if it appears a fellow camper needs help. If they say no, that's fine, I go to my camper and watch. On the other hand, most folks whom are struggling readily accept. Quite often, the co pilot is having difficulty and will thank me! Similarly, I offer assistance at any boat launch where folks are having difficulties.

One day, a group of us at a friend's cottage were watching a guy and family trying to winch a runabout onto its trailer. He was terribly flustered, and in his attempt to move out of the way of other boats, had jammed his winch strap. I started to chuckle, but then had a change of heart, and went down to him. We quickly moved the boat onto the trailer. He looked up at me and tanked me profusely. I was the one whom learned a good lesson that day.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Souljourner, what a great idea, I have never thought of that. And good for you not to quit and creating your own process. Although I have backed up all kinds of things since being young, I too know the eyes are on us every time we go into a tight spot. You have the right attitude, and a great process. I hope others take note of your process and it inspires them to come up with their own.
Thanks for the kudos! I’ve worked very hard to become a confident solo female camper, and I’ve asked lots of questions on this forum (thank you!) so that I understand how everything works. Backing up was the hardest thing I needed to master, and I kid you not - it’s one of my life’s accomplishments of which I am most proud, and I have had many accomplishments. But my other accomplishments came somewhat easy to me. It was the fact that I had to overcome much, especially my fear, to get where I am that makes me feel so good. I didn’t quit and I wasn’t going to let a challenge stop be from doing something I had my heart set on doing. I practiced A LOT before I went solo on the road.

I do have a backup camera, which helps, as I can clearly see that orange cone in the back. Since I can’t always see both sides as I’m turning, I know that if I stay close to the orange cone on the side I’ll be OK.

Funny how tuning out the watchers is my greatest challenge and takes enormous self control for me to take a deep breath and force myself to forget about what they think.

Perhaps next time someone engages in the sport of watching other campers backing in, you’ll think of me and respond with admiration for the accomplishment, no matter how clunky it looks, rather than ridicule.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Thanks for the kudos! I’ve worked very hard to become a confident solo female camper, and I’ve asked lots of questions on this forum (thank you!) so that I understand how everything works. Backing up was the hardest thing I needed to master, and I kid you not - it’s one of my life’s accomplishments of which I am most proud, and I have had many accomplishments. But my other accomplishments came somewhat easy to me. It was the fact that I had to overcome much, especially my fear, to get where I am that makes me feel so good. I didn’t quit and I wasn’t going to let a challenge stop be from doing something I had my heart set on doing. I practiced A LOT before I went solo on the road.

I do have a backup camera, which helps, as I can clearly see that orange cone in the back. Since I can’t always see both sides as I’m turning, I know that if I stay close to the orange cone on the side I’ll be OK.

Funny how tuning out the watchers is my greatest challenge and takes enormous self control for me to take a deep breath and force myself to forget about what they think.

Perhaps next time someone engages in the sport of watching other campers backing in, you’ll think of me and respond with admiration for the accomplishment, no matter how clunky it looks, rather than ridicule.
You're an awesome gal!!!!

I'm sure you have taught some males a few things who have been sitting back watching you and some who instantly said to themselves "Ha, this is going to fun to watch!"

You go girl!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #68
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
My wife gets out with her cell phone if it's a tight spot and only says anything if I'm going to hit something. I'm no expert and didn't practice in a parking lot but did get a lot of practice backing up with a 24' enclosed trailer behind the m/h. So without the trailer it seems pretty easy.
Easiest way I have seen ;
With trailer, position hand at bottom of steering wheel. Watch trailer in mirror and rotate steering wheel from bottom in small increments in direction trailer should go.
Without trailer position hand on top of steering wheel and rotate in the direction the rear end of coach needs to go. Again, don’t make large corrections.
Proceed slowly until you are comfortable. It is always better to have a guide in your mirror watching. Sometimes with low hanging branches or wires make backing a 3d exercise.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #69
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We went camping with a group of 16 rigs last week. Two of the rigs were sisters and with husbands. All four were death. It was kind of funny to see the husbands backing in the rigs and the wives spotting them. I never realized that you could yell and scream at each other in sign language.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We went camping with a group of 16 rigs last week. Two of the rigs were sisters and with husbands. All four were DEAF. It was kind of funny to see the husbands backing in the rigs and the wives spotting them. I never realized that you could yell and scream at each other in sign language.
Fixed it for you.

Yes, ASL can be quite colorful. I've got a couple deaf friends so I've learned some "not safe for work" signs...

Tags
campground