Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #1

Campground Funnies

How many folks watch others trying to put their rigs or trailers into a campsite shaking their heads when the co-pilot jumps out to help guide them into their spot and you wonder what the heck are these people thinking when guiding the driver into the site.?
We just came back from Jasper NP Canada at Whistler's Campground. As we where leaving we had to wait while this couple where trying to back a Class C into their site. The co pilot was giving the driver instructions in which way to turn as if she was actually driving the unit herself. If he turned the wrong way she would be showing him to turn the other way by the motion of her hands as if she was driving. Now the guy he didn't attempt to look in his right mirror as to where he was and what he should do to correct the situation. If he was going the wrong way of course the hand signals would be the steering wheel effect, or the hand would come up for the driver to stop, or point go forward and then the steering wheel effect would come into play again in the direction to go. He was so focused in his left driver's mirror he didn't bother to look right in the mirror as his focus was so much on his co pilot. The folks at the next site at their table was shaking their heads in disbelief as to what was happening. The wife and I also where shaking our heads. Like where do they find these folks when trying to get their rigs in the campsite. talk about getting out the popcorn and watching what goes on and that the same as with the sani dump and boy are they head scratcher's in what folks do to dump their tanks.
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

You'd enjoy watching me and my wife. She pulls the trailer herself when camping with her Sisters on the Fly friends, so I've been teaching her how to back. So I'll get out and walk beside her --- "OK stop", "You've got it started well, but you need to straighten a little, so cut your wheel back left." "No, the top of the wheel." "No, not a full turn, just a little. You still want continue in that direction, but you're cutting too sharp." And on and on .........

But, we didn't all come out of the womb knowing how to do this. Gotta learn. And most of us learn better by doing than watching YouTube.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't disagree with "we all have to learn". My question is why in the world don't people spend an hour or so in a wide open parking lot with some cones, rope, towels, something to mark or simulate a road, campsite, etc. It takes the pressure off, allows you to get out and see how a turn of the wheel affects every part of the coach. It also allows the pilot, copilot to figure out how to communicate the best way possible.

My wife and I discovered that we are much better if she is behind the wheel listening to me giving directions via a walkie talkie. She can put our 45 footer in any spot that will hold it. People are often amazed and often say "I don't know how she got it in there". We smile and know it was the days we spent in the church parking lot.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #4

My wife gets out with her cell phone if it's a tight spot and only says anything if I'm going to hit something. I'm no expert and didn't practice in a parking lot but did get a lot of practice backing up with a 24' enclosed trailer behind the m/h. So without the trailer it seems pretty easy.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #5

When you give directions try using "turn driver" or "turn passenger". Folks seem to understand that better than right and left.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:33 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It really isn't funny. Everyone has had a first time out. We've been out with all kinds of rigs and the first few times out can be frustrating and stressful, even for the experienced driver and guide. When we see folks struggling, we offer to help. We don't gawk and we certainly don't laugh. We've been in their shoes.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #7

I don't laugh out loud but I've been knows to crack a smile. Mostly I stay out of their business unless it looks like some kind of eminent collision or injury is about to occur.

I'll help if asked.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:52 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
It really isn't funny. Everyone has had a first time out. We've been out with all kinds of rigs and the first few times out can be frustrating and stressful, even for the experienced driver and guide. When we see folks struggling, we offer to help. We don't gawk and we certainly don't laugh. We've been in their shoes.

^^^^THIS
It takes practice. It's easy to say "go practice in a parking lot", but how many really do that? Yes, we should, but we don't.
Over the years my wife and I developed a hand signal system, no yelling, no screaming, no verbal communication at all. She does the signals and I have learned to park my ego and trust that what she indicates is what I should do. Works great.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #9

What I find freaking hilarious is a bunch of people with nothing else better in life to do but sit back and watch the inexperienced trying their best to get the job done. Cracks me up every time! [emoji1787] Wow. Says a lot about a certain breed of camper...
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
What I find freaking hilarious is a bunch of people with nothing else better in life to do but sit back and watch the inexperienced trying their best to get the job done. Cracks me up every time! [emoji1787] Wow. Says a lot about a certain breed of camper...
Old 09-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

I find it amazing that most RVers do not know there is a universal set of hand signals for backing an RV that has been used for decades. For towables the first thing the driver must understand is place you hand on the bottom of the steering wheel when backing, then push your hand the same directions you want the trailer to move.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I don't disagree with "we all have to learn". My question is why in the world don't people spend an hour or so in a wide open parking lot with some cones, rope, towels, something to mark or simulate a road, campsite, etc. It takes the pressure off, allows you to get out and see how a turn of the wheel affects every part of the coach. It also allows the pilot, copilot to figure out how to communicate the best way possible.
We have done that. There's a large church parking lot near us that we've used. But when we go to a campground, it's often the case that they're not busy and the opportunity exists for her to practice in real life situations. There's no harm, and if we provide some entertainment for people who get a lift in their own lives by ridiculing someone else we're happy to oblige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
When you give directions try using "turn driver" or "turn passenger". Folks seem to understand that better than right and left.
That's a good point. There's no "your right or my right?" confusion. She's had many people tell her, though, to simply turn the bottom of the wheel the direction she wants to go. So, when I'd say "Turn the wheel left", she'd think I meant the bottom. She's doing better and improving each trip out. She understands now what she's doing and why. She just needs to do it enough now that it'll become second nature.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
Agreed! Why would anyone sit there and criticize and shake their heads?

Also, there's nothing wrong with offering help/suggestions. If they refuse so be it but don't sit there and laugh.

We both drove the motorhome so we both learned to park it. That helped when the other was outside directing. We used hand signals only; never voice. If the driver couldn't see the one outside the driver didn't move. The one outside constantly halted the back-in process to look on both sides for obstructions.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post

My wife and I discovered that we are much better if she is behind the wheel listening to me giving directions via a walkie talkie. She can put our 45 footer in any spot that will hold it. People are often amazed and often say "I don't know how she got it in there". We smile and know it was the days we spent in the church parking lot.

Practicing in a parking lot does help, but there are no real obstacles. It's completely different backing into a spot with trees, picnic tables, power poles and water and sewer hookups.

I can back my trailer into most campground spots with very little problem. At home I have the house on one side, a fence on the other and a 75 foot, 10 foot wide driveway that curves. Less than 18 inches on either side. Still trying to get my wife to stand in a spot where I can see her.

Gets tricky.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground