Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Campground groups to join

It seems there are a gazillion Camping groups, all say they offer discounts -- Sam's, KOA, 1000 Trails, etc. Is there a site that compares costs and benefits? Could go broke joining all of them. ;-)
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are Passport America members - it's a no brainer for the most part. Used just a couple three nights a year and you are ahead.

Also Good Sam, if you use anything via Camping World and the occational campground discount.

Thousand Trails zone member as well, as it works for us. Here evaluate whether the sites are located where you will use them and if you will in fact use them.

America the Beautiful pass if you are of age and use the associated facilities.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
We are Passport America members - it's a no brainer for the most part. Used just a couple three nights a year and you are ahead.

Also Good Sam, if you use anything via Camping World and the occational campground discount.

Thousand Trails zone member as well, as it works for us. Here evaluate whether the sites are located where you will use them and if you will in fact use them.

X2 on most of the above. We haven't needed the America the Beautiful pass yet.

Roger
Old 08-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Sam- If you join when they have a gift card that is included in the membership it ends up being free to join. Watch their special offers.
Passport America- As mentioned above, it pays for itself after very few uses. So basically free.
America the Beautiful- For seniors it is $10. Again it is basically free after savings from it's first use.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Passport America has saved us the most - Also use Good Sam for trip routing and camp grounds
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

I think the benefits depend on your travel and camping style. We had Passport America once, but it seemed that the participating campgrounds were almost always too far from our route. We tend to use KOA when traveling so, for us, there is a definite benefit. We are Good Sam members, so any campground with their discount is a plus but we don't make much effort between choosing a GS or non GS campground, and the same for our FMCA membership. We have also used the Harvest Host program where you can dry camp at a winery, brewery, etc. https://harvesthosts.com/

We keep yearly GS, FMCA and KOA memberships, and join the other groups we think we might use. Even so, we don't always camp where the benefits are available, so these are not always cost effective, but are nice to have. I don't think there is one correct answer; one person's luxury may be anothers necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
It seems there are a gazillion Camping groups, all say they offer discounts -- Sam's, KOA, 1000 Trails, etc. Is there a site that compares costs and benefits? Could go broke joining all of them. ;-)
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

Perfectly said. Escapees is not a bad one either. Like Thousand Trails, make sure that they have discount campgrounds where YOU travel.

If you decide to go with Thousand Trail, HOLD OFF until they have a special. Usually 2 zones for 1 or $100 off.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
BuzzWolfAR
You sure could.

When my coach was new to me I was nearly "clubbed to death" for the 1st 4-5 years.

(Now I only have only a Passport America membership and CoachNet ERS).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We use Passport America, Escapees, and Good Sam, in that order. All pay off for us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #10

Try this for a review

Hi There,

Try this article to help make your decision.
rurocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurocking View Post
Hi There,

Try this article to help make your decision.
Good info! Thanks for sharing!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X 2 for Escapees. Happy campers over 20 yrs.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've saved hundreds of dollars with the Escapee's discount. I shop for the 50% off parks first, then the 15% discount parks if there aren't any 50% parks near where I'm going. The small amount of money I paid to join Escapee's was paid back at the first 50% off park I stayed at, and it's been nothing but savings since. I boondock whenever possible, but Escapee's has definitely saved me money.

The only way to get cheaper than some of the Escapee's discounts is to stay for or almost a month and pay a monthly rate. Compare all of the prices before you reserve, also thinking about how long you'll be staying.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Can't go wrong with Passport and GS. We joined 1000 Trails but did not renew. Seems every time we went to one of their CGs all the good places were taken with empty RVs. Be sure to read all the documentation carefully.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground