Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #1

campground hookups

When camping with full hookups should blackwater and greywater valves be left open to drain directly into sewer or wait until tank is full?
rivercat49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

grey water OK
Blackwater no; close valve fill 1/3 full water; flush when it's 2/3 full, then close valve and fill 1/3 then repeat as above.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Actually it won't hurt anything to do it, but you will have a foul odor. I usually don't even hookup until I get ready to leave. I then drain the grey water and then the black water tanks.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both closed.
Then when you drain, do the black first. As you drain the gray tank after that it will flush out the sewer hose.

Also keeping both open may allow sewer gases to come up through your vent pipes and exit out on the top of your RV. It can smell pretty bad depending on the wind currents and if you have your roof vents open.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's what I did this past weekend, my first excursion with my coach:

I hooked up my lines. Ensured that the sewer hose had a downward slope from the RV drain to the CG drain by using logs (which reminds me, I need to buy those bridge thingies). Kept both black water and grey water closed.

Just prior to leaving, I opened the black water drain first. Used those wand thingies to rinse off the inside of the tank. Since our campground restroom facilities was very clean, very close and in great shape, we didn't poo in our rig, which made clean up A LOT easier and less messy, imo.

After rinsing the black water tank, I closed the black water drain valve and opened the grey water drain valve. The reasoning for this is to thoroughly rinse out the sewer line if there were any black water material left on the sewer line, since grey water is only water from the shower and kitchen sink.

I believe this is the method that most experienced RVers use....
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Actually it won't hurt anything to do it, but you will have a foul odor. I usually don't even hookup until I get ready to leave. I then drain the grey water and then the black water tanks.
Actually leaving the black tank valve open for any significant length of time can lead to the "brown tower of doom" where solids pile up can harden in layers. Not a mess you want to clean up. The black tank needs lots of water to keep things clean.

Also, if you dump your gray tank AFTER dumping your black tank it will flush the hose... otherwise you're left to figure out how to clean "gunk" out of your hose after dumping the black tank.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I agree I tried that suggestion once and promptly closed the gray because of the smell I was told that not all showers have a p trap thus no way to keep the smell out. Ours is that way. I keep the plug in and tight.

I was told to never keep the black open it can cause a problem with not having water in the bottom that the waste can get hard over time and will need special work to get it cleaned out.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree with others - keep both closed until about 2/3 full. Black emptied first, then grey to wash the hose. Something else I do is to close the black, refill with some water (about 2 minutes worth) and pour in a cup of Pine Power (not Pine Sol or any other pine anything) that I get from Dollar General. We then drive to the next destination and dump when we get there first thing. This has kept our tank clean with no odor. I also add a little Pine Power to the grey water tank when we arrive and that has kept odors from the grey tank from building up (food particles from dishwashing and soap from bathing) go down that drain and man, they can stink too).
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Campground Hookups

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercat49 View Post
When camping with full hookups should blackwater and greywater valves be left open to drain directly into sewer or wait until tank is full?
We always use packets of cleaner/digester in our black tank (have for grey tanks also) and put some water in black tank. Do not empty until at least 2/3rd full or more. Empty black tank, close black tank valve, then empty grey tank to help clean out hose. If your RV has a built-in black tank sprayer/cleaner, it cleans black tank very well (must have black tank valve open when using sprayer). Sensors on tanks (after some time) usually are not very accurate. Ours have eventually always indicated that tanks were not empty when they actually were.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

Sorry I got them backwards. Must be Tuesday
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I leave grey water open and black water closed. I fill black water tank with 5 to 10 gallons of water and the empty when 2/3 full.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #12

We leave the grey open (for the washing machine and dishwasher). Dump the black at 3/4 full, use the sprayer to clean the tank and rinse the hose. When we leave camp repeat the procedure, leave about 5 gallons of water and dump the ice maker (about 6 lbs) in the toilette to (hopefully) keep the sensors clean.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was taught to leave both closed until ready to dump. Then open black, close black, then open the grey-- as said by others, to clear out the hose from black debris-- then I close the grey.

I, usually, have more grey, than black, so may dump that twice as often.

This has worked out well to keep my black tank in good shape (no build up) and no nasty smells coming into the rig from open valves.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To add:

Many stops at CG's we are 1 or two nights. If I'm using the on-board fresh water, there is no problem with adding weight, but most times I hook up to the city water, So flushing is adding weight. It doesn't mater if we re a one night stand or longer, I dump when we depart the next morning or a few days. Sooner if necessary. I leave the black tank and gray tank closed. The only time I leave the gray tank open is if DW wants to wash, then I close it if I remember and I usually do.

As stated, dump black, then gray to flush the lines out. I also have a backwash built in. Now, something else I will do while watching the clear plastic elbow, is to have DW fill the bowl twice and "power flush." I am amazed at the discolored water that will come out when she does that. It helps in keeping that "tower of doom" down to a minimum. Sometimes I'll even have her do it a third time, but most times only twice is necessary.

It doesn't matter if I'm only going to use the black one night, or more, I always put in one of those "Eco" green deodorizers. I also add two cap fulls of liquid Calgon softener. I was amazed at how clean my back flush is since I started using that method.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground