Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2022, 04:02 AM   #57

Why stop at suing the campground? I see potential millions of dollars to be made here by various entities to be sued.

Sue the forest service for allowing it to happen at their campground.

Sue the state of California and the county for allowing the people access to the campground via the roads.

Sue the vehicle manufacturers for the usage of their vehicles to transport the people there.

Sue the liquor establishments for selling the alcohol. Might as well sue the alcohol manufacturers too.

Sue any and all companies that operate imaging satellites, because a satellite would have noticed a large gathering of people and they could have notified authorities.

Sue any LE agency in charge of the area for not regularly patrolling the area.

Hmmm…. I could probably think of more.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2022, 05:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
Why stop at suing the campground? I see potential millions of dollars to be made here by various entities to be sued.

Sue the forest service for allowing it to happen at their campground.

Sue the state of California and the county for allowing the people access to the campground via the roads.

Sue the vehicle manufacturers for the usage of their vehicles to transport the people there.

Sue the liquor establishments for selling the alcohol. Might as well sue the alcohol manufacturers too.

Sue any and all companies that operate imaging satellites, because a satellite would have noticed a large gathering of people and they could have notified authorities.

Sue any LE agency in charge of the area for not regularly patrolling the area.

Hmmm…. I could probably think of more.

This is where the common sense judges are supposed to step in and throw out the trash.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
This is where the common sense judges are supposed to step in and throw out the trash.
Common sense has long left the building…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:27 AM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
As tragic as it is very relieved foul play was not involved. And I agree, Mother is at fault.
Just the mother? How about the father?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #61

It appears that we can all delete our lawyer’s contact information now that we’ve stumbled across this treasure trove of legal knowledge.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
As the parent of 16 and 18 y.o's, my heart goes out to the family of the teen who died. I hope to never be in that position. However in this situation IMO the only responsible parties are the teen who drank and drove, and the person who supplied a minor with alcohol. Not the campground, not the teen's parents.

We've done our best to raise our kids right, but they still make lots of decisions we are unaware of, and some may not necessarily be the best choices. Once they start driving we try to set reasonable parameters and use technology to keep tabs, but it is not always possible to know about and/or be in control of their actions at all times, especially as they get older. Even if we were somehow able or willing to do so, that in itself would have other negative consequences down the line. It is a balancing act - you do the best you can.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:31 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Just the mother? How about the father?
if the father was with the mother, then both mother and father would be IN DEEP CACA.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
if the father was with the mother, then both mother and father would be IN DEEP CACA.
Jay D.
The mother wasn't there.

There's no reason to accuse the parents. Kids do their own thing when with other kids.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #65

Only one person is responsible.
The person that got drunk and drove her car into the lake.
But no one will accept that simple fact.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #66

Might want to review the contract you sign when taking a campground site. Could be "it's your home" while parked. Just a thought. Then again one can't fix stupid regarding allowing underage drinking.
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #67

CG liability

Knowing a few attorneys, their legal answer to liability is “it depends” on who tells the better tale. All of those posted rules and regulations go right out the window if a case goes to court and a jury trial.

If I’m thinking of the right incident, the mother said it was a traditional school party that had been going on for years. My guess is nobody was monitoring the activities for the duration of the party. And it may be a forest service campground, but in my area there are seldom employees on site. First come, first served. Pay on the honor system at the gate once you get your spot.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66lima View Post
Only one person is responsible.
There's a difference, though, between "responsible" and "legally liable." Minors are supposed to be somewhat protected from their inexperience and lack of judgment by the responsible adults involved. Something failed here.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #69

Excel Owners Club
Recreation.gov does not require proof of adulthood to reserve a campsite.

The campground host is not qualified nor obliged to enforce civil/criminal/motor vehicle violations.

If the FS Rangers and/or local law enforcement was not aware of the party, and did not investigate, then they are not liable.

They could be liable of they were informed of violations but neglected to investigate or if they failed to detect and address underage liquor consumption.

It appears the deceased departed, driving under the influence, made a wrong turn down an embankment into the lake.

Why automatically presume everyone else should be held liable?
HB Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Would finding the body 2 weeks early have changed much? Yes, the grieving process could have started sooner. But nothing can bring this young lady back. I remember a lot of people I knew who died in celebrations just like this, and I remember driving a few people home that otherwise might not have made it home alive. We didn't "designate" a sober driver back then, but somehow, one of us always chose to not drink.

I had a now ex-brother-in-law who was on the dive rescue team for the fire department. He was a lousy dive buddy, sucked air down to quick. I explained to someone later, as a member of the dive team he was paid more, but do you really want to be the person who finds the body? Heck no! Suck down that air, head back to the surface. Let the next guy find the body. And finding anything in the muck of a typical lake can be impossible. I did a night dive in Lake Travis as part of a check out dive. I swam within 10 feet of another diver shining a flashlight directly at me, and never saw the light.

It is easier to get funding for a DIVE RESCUE TEAM than a BODY RECOVERY TEAM. The reality I always told others divers is, if you get in trouble, no rescue team is going to save you. There is no way to get them on site quick enough. It is up to yourself and your dive buddy - if they can't save you, you are out of luck.

I am amazed how many vehicles are pulled from the water in similar situations to this. These divers find a lot of vehicles in the water. It seems like we read about it more & more. Much more prevalent than I ever realized.

I will add, I was not aware we also had a missing car associated with this missing girl until the article on finding her came out.
You must have been quite the partier!

“I remember a LOT OF PEOPLE I knew who died in celebrations just like this, and I remember driving a few people home that otherwise might not have made it home alive…”
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground