Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #43
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
While I do understand a park's overhead/expenses have probably dramatically increased & they have to get that back somewhere. Since COVID started, several of the restaurants I like to frequent have printed at least 3 revisions of their menus because of them increasing their prices.

But has has been posted, some parks have prices themselves right out of me being a guest. For the time being, I'm content to visit my state's lovely state parks at half the site fee with my discount card.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #44

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
Much cheaper to just travel by car and Hotel hop.. I’m keeping my eyes open on the situation
Hmm.. Last three Motels We have attempted to stay at for one night, had BUGS in the mattresses... NO THANKS.[RV was in the shop] so we spent the nights in the Scion xB Toad at the repair shop's parking lot..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! From a lot of you are paying for campsites, some of you must be walking into the camp office with a ring of $20’s around your neck! We just came back from a month long summer trip (june 2022) from AZ to FL along I-10 then up to NC, and back along I-40 to AZ.

Outbound along I-10: One night at a cracker barrel in NM, $0 + $22 (genset fuel) 1 night at a harvest host w/30 amp, $10 (great beer!). 2 more nights at a harvest host, $0 + $22 in fuel. In FL, 6 nights in the mouse trap campground (Disney World), $900!. Alright, Disney was the goal of this vacation and the lump sum was expected. Someone has to feed the mouse.

Return route along I-40: We hit all KOA sites, I have a membership with them. Called ahead two days in advance for most, paid between $46-$55 a night. From FL north to NC we mis-judged the dates and pulled into a KOA just off the interstate in GA. Told them I needed a spot for just the night 3pm to 9 am next day. They were full but had 3 transient spots up front with 30 amp & water, no sewer. $26!! Got a pull thru spot with shade, and full use of the pool & facilities. Had a female kamikaze cardinal that attacked my window, fun to watch.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:21 PM   #46

From a free-market perspective:

More RV'ers need campground spots. Campgrounds can raise their rates until they're just high enough so that they always have one more spot to rent. With so many more people looking for a spot, that rate can go pretty high.

But - and this is the good part - others see them raking in the money, and that's what gives them the incentive to build more campgrounds.

Natural human behavior will turn a high-priced shortage of any product - beer, campground spots - into an expansion of that product. But the cycling can be tough to take while we wait for more campgrounds.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
I’m sure others have mentioned a Thousand Trails membership, but our experience after using the membership for 2 years was most parks have not been upgraded in decades, the lots are dirt and gravel, many do not have full hookups, and there are no Thousand Trails parks in the middle of the country. We broke even with our Elite Connections membership and we even ended up on the plus side after selling our membership several months ago. Some concrete, grass and nice amenities are worth it for us. Obviously everyone’s budgets are different.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:53 PM   #48

Camp ground prices.

I had planed to take the motorhome on a 7500 mi trip this past spring with the price of diesel, we decided to take the car that gets 40 mpg and take hotels. We consistently found hotels/motels for 50 - 90 dollars per night. They were not dives but clean safe hotels. All had google reviews of 4+. The only exception was Glacier NP area and Chicago area. Just over a hundred. This was only 4 nights of over 25. To pay similar prices for a parking spot is outrageous. Hotels have full hookups!! I don’t have to pee out the window. Nice beds and showers. Maid service and often BREAKFAST! OMG. Ridiculous. When I do travel in the motorhome a 38’ DP, I often boon dock as much as possible. I don’t like resort Rv parks Eg koa. No thanks. When diesel comes down we will again plan a long trip and will avoid ridiculous RV parks like the plague.

When RV parks very closely equal the cost of a descent hotel, there is something very wrong. We circled most of the continental US and consistently paid in the 60-80 dollar area for hotels all over the US. (Avoiding major cities).
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #49

I have the luxury of staying at military bases, if your military retired you could use them, very reasonable and clean, usually a cement pad and full hook up. Payment is according to your retired rank. And yes those prices are high, you could also try KOA, pretty reasonable. Stay safe
Scott7091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #50

We've been pretty much full-timing since 2016, although we DO have a winter base in southern Arizona. Nevertheless, we live in our 38' motorhome. However, due to the current self-imposed gas crisis, we opted to leave our motorhome behind in it's Kool Cover in Arizona. We bought a used but well cared for 18' TT to tow behind our Ford Explorer Sport Trac. We just completed a month long trip up on the Mogollon Rim of Northern Arizona. All of our stays were in dispersed camping areas (FREE). We made sure dump and water stations were nearby (within 5 miles). And with our Predator 3500 "quiet" generator, we could run whatever we needed, including A/C. Never needed it though, with temps around 78 degrees. Average mpg was around 14. Twice that of the MH. We hate RV parks and fee campgrounds. Too crowded, etc. We LOVE living for free in beautiful forests where other "campers are about 500 feet away... minimum. 👍😀
Old 07-10-2022, 09:55 PM   #51

State of Oregon campgrounds have stayed the same, however now they are charging $5 more a night for non residents
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:12 PM   #52

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
State of Oregon campgrounds have stayed the same, however now they are charging $5 more a night for non residents
Yup.. We left Oregon a few Years ago. So that "Extra Fee" was a bit of a surprise considering that they Want more out of state'rs to go and visit..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:42 PM   #53

Just returned from a 24-day trip from Denver to AL through KS, MO, IL, KY, TN, MS, AR, OK, TX, and NM. Stayed entirely in Corps of Engineers campgrounds with hookups (AC only way to survive the heat and humidity in most of those states), except for a 4-night stay in an AL state park. We never paid more than $15/night for W/E hookups and a dump, or even FHU sites, except in the AL state park. And Recreation.gov charges no reservation fee for COE cgs, unlike National Park and USFS cgs. We have stayed in COE cgs on many previous RV trips, especially in the Southeast. One COE cg in GA is our favorite campground anywhere, including cgs in Alaska and Canada that we have stayed in.

PS:We stayed in a KOA in CA in 2015 and never stayed in another before or since.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:41 PM   #54

Need to avoid those flop house fleabag motels!�� Kind a like the once cheap CG’s.
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:22 AM   #55

On road trips to the East coast we rarely stay at campgrounds. Truck stops typically charge $15 to dump and there are plenty of Walmart’s, Costco’s truck stops, rest areas that are free. There are even rest stops with dumping stations.
RKGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:43 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
As Don mentioned in post #12, with the heat and the cost of fuel it takes about $20 to run the generator for even a “free” overnight spot (rest area, Walmart).
On our way out of Texas (starting in Houston), we located 2 stops that are not scenic at all, but right next to the highway heading north.
Example: AOK Camper Park, $17 night with 50amp, full hook ups, very level, and very nice owner. Gravel roads in the park, but very level and clean.
Fellow RV’ers might consider some mom and pop RV parks for an overnight stay- For 2 different stays getting out of Texas it’s $17 + $20…
Our mindset is changing…mom & pop parks so we can plug in beats running the generator. And we are helping these parks stay in business.
txaggies1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground