Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 07:20 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Boondocking at The Wall. Great spot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 07:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht1 View Post
I had planed to take the motorhome on a 7500 mi trip this past spring with the price of diesel, we decided to take the car that gets 40 mpg and take hotels. We consistently found hotels/motels for 50 - 90 dollars per night. They were not dives but clean safe hotels. All had google reviews of 4+. The only exception was Glacier NP area and Chicago area. Just over a hundred. This was only 4 nights of over 25. To pay similar prices for a parking spot is outrageous. Hotels have full hookups!! I don’t have to pee out the window. Nice beds and showers. Maid service and often BREAKFAST! OMG. Ridiculous. When I do travel in the motorhome a 38’ DP, I often boon dock as much as possible. I don’t like resort Rv parks Eg koa. No thanks. When diesel comes down we will again plan a long trip and will avoid ridiculous RV parks like the plague.

When RV parks very closely equal the cost of a descent hotel, there is something very wrong. We circled most of the continental US and consistently paid in the 60-80 dollar area for hotels all over the US. (Avoiding major cities).
If you avoid cities, attractions, travel in the off season and only stay at no frills campgrounds you will be charged rates lower than those hotel rates. That of courses begs the question ”what’s the point ?”.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
Wow! From a lot of you are paying for campsites, some of you must be walking into the camp office with a ring of $20’s around your neck! We just came back from a month long summer trip (june 2022) from AZ to FL along I-10 then up to NC, and back along I-40 to AZ.
Out here in CaliForNia 20's are a waste of space.....hundreds rule. On my way to Los Wages soon, gonna make it rain like a rapper in a strip club!
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Prices for military, county, city, COE, NP, and State Parks have barely gone up at all in the past two years. Average is $25-30/night. As others pack themselves into high priced private campgrounds like sardines, we prefer rustic (and usually quiet) low priced CGs. Of course some don’t have full hookups, but that come with the territory. Lotsa room, privacy, and a price anyone can afford. Sorry, but we loathe KOA.
Ft Sam Houston RV Park in San Antonio, TX has increased its monthly rates by $200 (two $100 increases) within the last year.
DKSig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:49 PM   #61

One of the places we formerly stayed at for an enroute overnight was then called Durango RV Part in Red Bluff, CA. Full hookups, pull through, 50A. Was about $45/night with Good Sam discount.

Unfortunately it became a KOA a couple of years ago. Same pull through is now about $73/night with KOA discount.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:12 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKGill View Post
On road trips to the East coast we rarely stay at campgrounds. Truck stops typically charge $15 to dump and there are plenty of Walmart’s, Costco’s truck stops, rest areas that are free. There are even rest stops with dumping stations.

I can appreciate your frugality, but there is one major drawback that you may not have thought about. Professional truckers HAVE to park for required rests. Those spaces have become fewer and farther between. When you see trucks parked at exit ramps and anywhere else that one can fit a rig then you know how tight it is to find a place to overnight. I can understand the desire to save money, but when it infringes on someone else’s right to make a living then it becomes a problem.

Driving an 18 wheeler is not fun. Doing something that makes their job more difficult is not going to endear truckers to RVers.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:08 PM   #63
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
...Driving an 18 wheeler is not fun. Doing something that makes their job more difficult is not going to endear truckers to RVers.
They don't endear themselves to me either when I find them parked in the RV spots at PFJ when I see slots open (& not the reserved ones either) on their side. I realize that's a PFJ management issue, but if they park in the RV slots, then expect to find RV's in the semi slots.

My first choice is always a campground, even with these crazy inflated prices. I hope prices come down, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for it. I've found the small (non-chain) ones are more reasonably priced...& often, more welcoming. But I'm not opposed to other options if they fit my needs.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #64

That's one reason we prefer state parks. A stack 'em, pack 'em, and rack 'em RV park may charge $70+ to park 10 feet from your neighbor, but state parks are usually $25-30 and the sites are more comfortably spaced with better views.
We are in the middle of a 6K mile trip this summer, and are spending many nights in state parks that we found along the route.
We also take advantage of Harvest Hosts for quick sleepovers.
Have fun on your trip north!
tdelong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground