Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #1

Campground prices this year...

I'm 7200 miles into my first ever RV trip from Key Largo to Alaska.
Let me ask...are CG's usually this expensive? Most private ones are around $60-$70 a night and dry camping here in Seward, Alaska is $40 at the city CG. Many people are charging $20 just to dump.
Have CG's usually been this pricey? Have they jumped up this year?
Thanks
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Yes they havee...........some by 50% or more, especially by those purchased by KOA and other private campoground companies. If you want to keep your camping cost down join Elks Lodge, Thousand Trails, Resort Park International and private rv memberships that have multiple rv parks. Also get a Good Sam's membership for rv camping discounts.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:37 PM   #3

www.freecampsites.net
www.passportamerica.com ($50 per year for 50% off nightly site rent)

When traveling, I stay a couple night in parking lots (Sam's Clubs and Cracker Barrels because I pick up a few groceries at Sam's and have supper then breakfast at Cracker Barrel). Then I pull into a campground (low priced public, private or PPA) to dump tanks and fill fresh.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I kept a log when we made our trip in 2009. The Seward City CG was $15/night.

Places will charge whatever the market can bear. Unfortunately the chances of these prices dropping back to prepandemic times are slime to none.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just checked a couple days ago on the price at a KOA in Santa Cruz we used to go to with the kids years ago that used to be about $35.

Now it's $200 a night for deluxe site and $150 a night for a back-in site.

I don't know where this is headed but it's putting us out of the market pretty soon. Insane.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Let me ask...are CG's usually this expensive? Most private ones are around $60-$70 a night and dry camping here in Seward, Alaska is $40 at the city CG. Many people are charging $20 just to dump.
Thanks
As has been said, prices are escalating. I am optimistic that they will moderate a little next year, but not much. Electric power may be one cause of the spike.

Another reason for increasing prices perhaps is the price they have to pay for professional services, ie. plumbers, electricians, accountants and even day labor services like lawn care. Taxes are also a big hit, perhaps the largest of all increases. Every taxing district is going crazy with increases.

If it gets to expensive, they will lose a lot of their business. You got to hunt for good CG’s and support them. Good luck.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #7

I'm a cheapskate. I go for the free places, even though they're ugly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220701_194052580.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	370046  

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Oh yes, prices have escalated. I know lots of people just hate KOA's, but I liked them, had the discount kard & used them often, pre-pandemic. Searching for sites this year I was completely shocked at the price increases. OK, I could see that, somewhat, for the Holiday level parks located in tourist areas. And I may consider those since I have the discount kard, if I'm in the area of one. But for the Journey's with just the basics, barely off an interstate with nothing worth visiting near them, there was no reason to jack the prices up so far.

I've been using my state's discount card & getting half off sites at my state parks. That comes to about $15/nite for electric only. That's probably what I'll stick to this year, at least.

This would be the year for discount programs, if they fit your needs.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #9

Prices for military, county, city, COE, NP, and State Parks have barely gone up at all in the past two years. Average is $25-30/night. As others pack themselves into high priced private campgrounds like sardines, we prefer rustic (and usually quiet) low priced CGs. Of course some don’t have full hookups, but that come with the territory. Lotsa room, privacy, and a price anyone can afford. Sorry, but we loathe KOA.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Thanks
Alaska: You have to remember that they only have 3 months to make any money and they haven't made any the past 2-3 years. The campground in Seward was a wonderful place on the water to stay. You've been boondocking quite a bit which helps even things out. Carry on......
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:51 PM   #11

just stayed in Jackson WY. KOA by far nothing fancy one of the poorer camp grounds we stayed at. 200.00 a night, insane!
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:09 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
These campgrounds are making up for lost revenue, not only from the pandemic, but the last market/RV crash. I think campgrounds will take another hit again unless something changes with the fuel prices. Their astronomical prices are also going to scare people away.

The problem with staying somewhere off the grid, even just overnight, during the summer means dealing with the heat. At the cost of fuel, running a generator for A/C runs the free spot savings right back up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:28 AM   #13

Might as well stay in hotels and drive a car. I guess I will be comparison shopping this summer.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #14

It's funny.... I peek into the other threads on cancelling this or that because of Fuel prices and/or shortages (not that i have seen them). But, what has been missing was this -- the costs for the campgrounds going way up. We do use the various "commercial" type campgrounds along with the private one, it's hot everywhere and we need the AC. But we tried to stop for an overnight along the road just to have a full hookup after a longer trip away. But, when they said $90 for the night (with discount), we passed.

In the end, I think i have cut back on some of the camping more due to the campground costs than the fuel costs. Starting to look more to the various lower cost options and even setup with a blue boy so the wife can still take the long showers. :0)

Everything is up... but my paycheck....

Tags
campground