Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Campgrounds that are not handicap friendly

A camp ground near Hartwell Georgia that is a C.O.E. park and is called watsadler is not handicap friendly.
I was there a few months ago and was told that my wife could not ride her three wheel electric in the park.
I wrote Washington ADA and they are haveing an ivestigation. (I got a call from Washington ADA yesterday.)
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

I think the issue is with the type of mobility vehicle. I use an electric wheelchair that looks well, like a wheelchair. It is never questioned. I have seen people on electric carts and electric bicycles denied because they aren't recognized solely as handicap mobility devices. I can see their point because you get lazy people or kids trying to "beat the system" by riding them instead of just walking. This comment is in no way a reference to your wife.

I bet if I went to that same park, I would find it very accommodating to me.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
A camp ground near Hartwell Georgia that is a C.O.E. park and is called watsadler is not handicap friendly.
I was there a few months ago and was told that my wife could not ride her three wheel electric in the park.
I wrote Washington ADA and they are haveing an ivestigation. (I got a call from Washington ADA yesterday.)
Campground management is on very thin ice, and will ultimately loose this battle. They are a public facility and must provide for the disabled. They cannot legally discriminate against the disabled. Further, the campground is just inviting a suit filed by any one of many attorneys who specialize in this type of discrimination.
We may view these suits as frivolus, but the attorneys and their plantifs are making many trips to the bank with lots of money.
The campground management would do well to accomodate your wife and help her with the three wheeler!
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip View Post
I think the issue is with the type of mobility vehicle. I use an electric wheelchair that looks well, like a wheelchair. It is never questioned. I have seen people on electric carts and electric bicycles denied because they aren't recognized solely as handicap mobility devices. I can see their point because you get lazy people or kids trying to "beat the system" by riding them instead of just walking. This comment is in no way a reference to your wife.

I bet if I went to that same park, I would find it very accommodating to me.
Good point RVRT. Love the blog - keep it going! As an official "physically challenged person (per the govt....... still fighting the concept but appreciate the monthly help after 30 years of pay in) and new to the RV world, like to see how others are getting along on the road. Seems you are doing well and enjoying life!

Greg, Karen and the kids (Lab, Golden and now - fingers crossed - Lola the kitten).
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a brother in law that was run over by a tank in the Army, but with all his problems, he still tells everyone he's not handycap, this week he's up on his roof putting on a roof. total braces from the waist down,with two canes.
When he is confronted by idiots or poorly set up parks he told me he has ADA on speed dial. They know him by his first name.
I don't want anyone to think he is a trouble maker or that he is looking for trouble, but he is looking out for the other disables that are worse than him.
He dosen't know he's handicap.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #6

There isn't a lot of money being made from Attorneys and plaintiffs over ADA complaints. Most complaints go thru ADA and get solved there. If it winds up into a suit, that takes awhile to get thru courts, it doesn't happen overnight. Service from ADA is a lot quicker.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #7

My wife has had two hip replacements; one joint taken out of her neck; two out of her back; shoulder joint replacement; both wrists operated on; its pretty obveous she is handicaped. The campground classified her three wheeler as a scooter and said no scooters were allowed in the park. I asked them if they realy thought that my wife was going to ride around the park terriozing everyone with her three wheeler. They stood firm; I have written to the ADA in washington, and did get several phone calls from them, I am waiting to see what will happen. The wheels of justice sometimes grind very slowly.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have spoken with the staff at other COE parks.. That is a COE system wide regulation.

As it happens.. I agree with the original poster the ADA should be applied to the COE.

But for the moment, all COE's it seems have that rule.. Bicycles OK, motorized ____ other than automobiles (Cars, Trucks, Motor homes) NOT ok.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have spoken with the staff at other COE parks.. That is a COE system wide regulation.

As it happens.. I agree with the original poster the ADA should be applied to the COE.

But for the moment, all COE's it seems have that rule.. Bicycles OK, motorized ____ other than automobiles (Cars, Trucks, Motor homes) NOT ok.
Are you saying an electric wheel chair is not permited? MY wifes is electric driven; same as a wheelchair.

I think the C.O.E. needs to modify their rules a little. my wife displays her handicap permit on her cart.

I can;t wait to see what the ADA in Washington do about this.

kids running around terrizing anyone in their road is ok; old ladies in wheelchairs classified as a menice.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #10

Can you post a picture of your wife's electric 3 wheeler that is the subject of this discussion?

Here is mine:

Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
COE has been through this before. A big stink a few years back and COE won all complaints. Nothing has changed over the years.

Not saying I agree with it but just the facts.

Still love that CG though. And still think they need to modify that rule.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip View Post
Can you post a picture of your wife's electric 3 wheeler that is the subject of this discussion?

Here is mine:

that looks pretty much like my wifes:
My wife is 75, you look a lot younger.
You look like your in a campground; I'll bet its not watsadler.

see above
Its a shame the C.O.E. is so narrow minded.