Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
* Point Mugu near Oxnard, CA is a rather nice campground. No shade, but its on the beach Even has a connected motel so friends and family can come visit (with Base Commander's permission) even if they don't have an RV.

* Edwards AFB has shade, but I've heard reports of sites with failed power poles. And no one wants to actually visit Edwards AFB or the surrounding areas. If you have access, maybe as an overnight stop?

* China Lake - pretty much identical to Edwards AFB. Nice campground, though I think the power works better. But...who wants to go here?

The "...who wants to go here?" quotes are, to me, generally RECOMMENDATIONS.

And.....yes, I have been to military CG's all across the US (and some Canadian Forces CG's also). Most are nice, but some are horribly chickenshit about how to enter, paperwork, etc. But, as another poster said, lots of homesteaders in some -- especially the southern ones in the winter.
MajorOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I believe that you will not be able to register if you are not 100% disabled, active or retired military, dod retired. Your son might be able to sponsor you, but that is if they accept sponsorship at that facility....he would have to make the reservation for you. Best check on rules on staying at that military campground.
To qualify under disability you need your VA Medical Card and it must state "service connected" on the card. Need not be 100%.
jbellavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellavich View Post
To qualify under disability you need your VA Medical Card and it must state "service connected" on the card. Need not be 100%.
Better read the eligibility again, have to be 100%.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #32

Some are great ~~ others far from it and a few in the middle. To qualify;
active duty
retired
contractors
100% disabled
sponsored (if cmdr approved at that CG)

Much more difficult to get in as enlisted and officers on quarters are stay permanently. Was / is not supposed to happen but does. Contractors often bring several and stay until the job is complete, and often that completion is not going to happen. We did enjoy staying on installations but rarely do any longer.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #33

Military Campgrounds

We have spent the last 10 winters at Military campgrounds and as others have said Larry’s site is the best source for up to date info. Reservations are usually necessary if you go south during the winter. He should be able to make them for you as a sponsor.
garydhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Better read the eligibility again, have to be 100%.
Correct ~~ for disabled it must be 100 service connected disabled. The letter from the VA stating such is required.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #35

March AFB

March AFB FamCamp is great. Riverside CA, so close to LA, Temecula, San Bernardino. Day trips easy to Pendleton and San Diego. Sponsored sites, great camp manager, Mike. Facilities clean, several sites with full shade. 4 mo limit, so those that "live" there have to leave if there are names on wait list. Popular in winter due to snowbirds.
I also stayed at Admiral's in San Diego and Lackland. Lackland is small, but nice shade trees.

Oh, I'm a Reservist, my full time job is travel nurse.
WanderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #36

I’ve done both short stays and long ones. Some take reservations other don’t iirc militarycampgrounds.com has the info on them all. Where you planning on staying? Not all bases have campgrounds.also look in to military Rec areas. I’ve stayed at both the Destin fl and short stay outside Charleston S.C. I’m glad they in larged the campground at Kirtland afb no it’s right wher i25 and i40 meet so it’s convenient for those travelers.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #37

RV Trip Wizard
My wife and I are both retired USAF and like staying at FamCamps. Mostly familiar with those in the east. The one at Ft. Belvoir is very nice, as is Sea Pines near Virginia Beach. We stayed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD and Hanscom AFB, MA during a recent trip to New England.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #38

We're retired military and have visited RV sites from upper North Carolina to lower Florida and it's much like civilian, some great, others okay. However, we prefer them due to cleanliness, commissary and above all security. Our favorites have a club for a meal and a cocktail. Many have golf and tennis. The fees are hard to beat but of course you must be active duty or retired with military ID.
RoadRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #39

Always CRV Miitary App

We stay often at military bases...most are good, if not better. There's a great app we use https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv-mil.htm - has all kinds of great information, including phone numbers, number if sites and what types, reviews, limitations, etc., etc., etc.
davidnanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #40

We winter at the FamCamp on NCBC Gulfport (SeaBee Base, Gulfport, MS). Keesler AFB, right down the road, has a camp as well. Both are decent, clean, and fairly well maintained. In the last couple of years the SeaBee Base opened a brand new second campsite on the base that's really nice but is slightly cramped and has only back-in spots. The Mississippi Gulf Coast is a nice place to winter!

We've also stayed at the FamCamps on Maxwell AFB AL, Arnold AFB TN, and Ft Campbell, KY. Maxwell is nice but seems to have a large number of long termers. Arnold is very nice and right on a lake but doesn't have sewer hook-ups. Ft Campbell is fairly small but we found it acceptable for one-night stays.
ridesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Out of curiosity, 2 years ago we went to the CG office at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks, and were told weren't eligible to stay there because we were "foreign nationals". So much for free trade agreements.
What's a US Military installation got to do with "free trade"?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #42

Our son is nearing the end of his career in the Army.

We've been able to stay at a nice MWR (morale, welfare, recreation) RV park at Ft Campbell KY. It was outside the post, but we had to have our DIL register us. No reservations taken.

Our latest attempt was at Ft Hood TX which is on post. They would take reservations, but our son or DIL had to stay WITH us for the duration. She had just recently spent 4 months living with us, so that would have been fine. But they had the kids and dog and had just... Well, you know...

Each facility has its own specific requirements. The only thing to do is ask at each one.
jllarson3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, military