Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Camping - Exterior Outlets - Where? - What you've done?

-2008 40' Class A Tiffin Phaeton DP
-My rig only has one 120VAC outlet in the basement
-When camping in high temps we like to run fans outside below side of rig
have to run a cord out the basement door & shut the door on it
plugging in other things is a similar pain
-would be nice to have a 120VAC strip outside below basement
-but it would quickly get packed with road grime
-I've thought about installing a 120VAC outlet strip in the basement near the middle where it is more convenient but still have the hassle of running a cord thru the door
-when the air is dumped the rig sits very low so an outlet below would be hard to reach
-my last rig had a exterior outlet with weather proof cover
-this rig has clean sides with little on sides of rig
ANY THOUGHTS - best way for a 120VAC outlet for use during camping
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #2

How about something like this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Retractab...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a 35' retractable cord reel in the DEF tank bay, near the rear duals. I ran the cord, powering the reel, over to the engine block heater outlet. My block heater has a switch inside the coach to turn that outlet on and off. Since the bay door is open at the bottom, I just pull the cord out and then close the door. There is enough length to reach the patio area.

You don't have a DEF tank, but many mount the cord reel inside a bay to the frame/wall. The cord reels typically swivel on a bracket, so you can fold it against the wall when not in use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200201_141819.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	326732

Name:	20200201_141815.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	326733
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

Since you're limited by a 15A breaker anyway how about running an extension cord from the power pedestal then using a power strip?
OTOH you own your MH, why not install more permanent exterior outlets in the side of the MH?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I have one of these in my storage bay floor below where my electrical outlet is located. This way I can plug into my outlet out of the weather and not have to run the cord through the door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210429-184115_Chrome.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	326734  
Old 04-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot. View Post
I have one of these in my storage bay floor below where my electrical outlet is located. This way I can plug into my outlet out of the weather and not have to run the cord through the door.
I added one of those to the bottom of the basement near the center of the motorhome to give me an outlet on the driver's side. It came with one on the passenger side, outside.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping