Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #15

Question: We got caught in Branson MO in late July, early August of 2011. Temps reached 111 F with humidity. I was tempted at the time to start spraying water on top of the RV to try to cool it down. Anyone ever try that?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

We were in Oklahoma last July and temps reached 100 plus nearly everyday. We had outer sun screens on windshield and driver/passenger windows, all shades pulled and front curtain pulled. We have a basement a/c and coach stayed in high 70s the entire day and cooled off to mid 70s at night.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #17

Hello!!! I have lived in the desert for more then 20 years, do not be worry about cooling the MH, like most who actually have spent time in the desert know the air does work, like everyone mentioned keep the shades down. By the way a swamp cooler does not work on anything above 100'F you need real air conditioning if you want to be cool, if not just drive anywhere in the Phoenix area and you can count with one hand how many homes with swamp coolers a joke!!!!

What you need to be more concern is to make sure your rig is in top shape, tires must have the correct pressure make sure they are not over 6 or 7 years old, the heat does a job on those tires, you can see blow outs by the side of I-10 all of the time also make sure your cooling system in the MH in in top shape!! Good Luck and Be Safe out there!!!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our motor home is 35' long and has 3 slides. We have 2 roof mounted AC units.

When we were in Vegas in 2013 the temps were in the low hundreds. Our site faced east so we got the morning sun. We kept all the shades down and limited the opening and closing of the door. We also used the grill for cooking outside. The coach stayed cool and comfortable.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Man View Post
We are new to this whole experience. We are planning a trip across country, which brings us to Vegas and Lake Havasu City (to visit friends) in late June. The temps will be over 100. We have a fleetwood bounder 33c with dual roof a/c units. Does anyone know if these will be able to keep us cool? Thanks
We've camped in Palm Spring, CA summer weather - easily 115 +! Our Winnebago has two 15,000 roof A/C units. We close all the shades and turn both A/C units to 65 (my DW HATES this). You could have used our MH for Cold Meat Storage!!!!

We well also cover the windshield about 11 AM as the sun enters the cabin.

Get out there and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 AM   #20

Like the old timer boilermakers used to say: walk slow, talk fast and drink lots of water.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We go to hurricane mills TN. every year in august and its usually well over 100 with super high humidity. Seems we never get shade either. We put out the awning and close all shades and run the gen 24/7 as there are no hookups. Let the two ac's rip and it keeps it cool. The key is to cool it down early or you will never catch up. The humidity seems to make it harder to cool so without any proof I would say it might be easier in the dry climate your going to.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP, you're wise to save the southern route for your return trip or at another time. Even with all the precautions, it's difficult keeping any kind of RV cool in 115 degrees! We've tried stopping at Havasu mid-May one time on our summer travels to the north. We lasted one day.
But Havasu and Vegas are usually very nice in February and March!!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
Commercial Member

we travel through and stay in nevada and utah a lot in august and september. its just hot, i dont care what the humidity is.
when its 120 degrees, the best ive been able to get is about 85 degrees, and thats after i found how to lower the temp inside.
i use the awnings, and window coverings like everyone else, but
i found years ago that adding a partition just behind the driver/passenger seats lowers the inside temp by 15 degrees. we bought a extendable shower curtain rod and some premade insulated drapes. place the rod as close to the roof as possible, and the drapes must go all the way across. that works for me.
run the air all the time, it helps keep the interior cooler during the day. dont shut it off because its cooler. just raise the temp a little.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
... We also used the grill for cooking outside.
Jon
This is an excellent point. I always cook outdoors in the summer time to avoid heating up the inside of the RV. It's hot when I'm out there cooking, but it plays a big role in keeping the interior cool.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Our last MH was a 36' gasser with two 13.5 roof A/Cs. I tried to keep the roof clean(it was white), which I think helps to reflect the Sun's rays. As others, we also kept the window outside awnings down and the windshield curtains closed. We NEVER left the RV with the patio awning out...the winds could be strong and unpredictable.

In Bolder City, it was 115 degs. F and very dry. We kept pretty cool in the RV...not so much getting from the MH to the Jeep - it just took your breath away. The Hoover Dam tour was welcomed relief.

Our Norcold 1200 fridge operated beautifully as well. You'll probably be just fine if your A/C's are operating as they should...keeping their coils clean can help to keep them operating at peak.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, heat