Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping Lost and Found.

There was a big discussion on thievery experienced while camping. This will be about what you may have left behind or what you may have found at a campsite.
Personally, I have found a hand-axe stuck head-high at a new site and another time found a money clip on a picnic table in a campground that hadn't had a customer for weeks. Then there is always the pocket change and occasionally a cheap broken neck or wrist chain.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #2

I used to do a lot of camping/fishing at a large reservoir/state park near here. Knowing how crowded it gets on the weekends I'd always try to be at a campsite (fire ring and table makes a campsite here) by Thursday at latest and not usually leave 'til Tuesday. Monday after the crowds have cleared out we would ride our ATVs through the many campgrounds on our side of the reservoir taking and filling several 30gal trash bags full of the disrespect others had left. We've found all kinds of hatchets, saws, coolers, chairs etc some of which we still have. Now, in covid times all sites must be reserved so valuable items have a possibility to be returned. I would hope that people who trash their camp could also be held responsible.
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:53 AM   #3

At a state park on Buggs Island Lake in VA a camper across from us packed up and was pulling out. He had to go all the way around the loop to get out and we noticed he had left all of his fishing rods at the back of the site.
We intercepted him as he came around the loop hollering and waving to get his attention. They just looked the other way and kept going. Guess he was done with fishing, those were some very nice rods.
We called the gate and they came and collected the rods, never knew what happened after that. Rally strange.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:59 AM   #4

I found a 20 Euro bill in the woods of a New Hampshire campground.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:18 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We camped at Mesquite Texas and I was taking my morning walk. In a spot that had been vacated the night before was a progressive portable surge protector. I carried it to the office and asked if they had contact info for the occupant and they did not. I left my info so if they called I could ship it to them. No one ever claimed it. After a couple of months I ran across it and gave it to a fellow camper that wasn't using one.

We were in a COE for longer than the 14 days and had to site hop. The next morning after moving I realized a had left a firepit tool. I went back to the site and log turner was laying on the firepit. I knocked on the camper door and it happened to be an acquaintance. He had no issue with me retreiving it.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #6

We sometimes travel to Hither Hills near the East end of Long Island. In the summer, a number of well-to-do apartment-dwelling NYC residents camp there. Because they have no room to store much camping gear, many of them buy new stuff and discard it in or by the dumpsters on their way out after a week's use. If you were to go there at the right time, you could probably outfit yourself for tent camping at no cost! Tents, tarps, coolers, the works.

Most of the things they throw out are things we don't need or want. However, we still have a very nice cast aluminum portable gas grill retrieved from a big pile near one of the dumpsters there one year.
n2zon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #7

We did the "Snowbird" special at Myrtle Beach State Park last month. To say it rained would be an understatement. Lots and flooding. People tent camping a few spots down from us just left leaving two tents and a canopy.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:50 AM   #8

Last year we checked into a campground in Montana on our way to Glacier NP. We found an IPad on the bench of our picnic table. I walked it up to the campground office and they refused to take it saying they don’t get involved in lost and found.
I took the Ipad back to to the MH and plugged it in to keep it charged so that the owner could locate it with the “Find my phone” app.
We were at the campground 2 days and it never pinged so we kept it with us and headed towards Kalispell MT. The second day at Kalispell it started pinging. We had rented a car for exploring the area so I left the Ipad in the motorhome with a note on our door saying “ If you are looking for a lost Ipad call...”

The following day it pinged several times that morning so we were sure someone was probably going to come looking for it. We hung out until about noon before leaving for a grocery run. We were gone for 30 minutes when we got the call. We returned and the anxious Ipad owner was waiting for us. She lived in Missoula (~100 miles away) and had not realized it was missing until the previous day. When it pinged in Kalispell, her and her husband took a chance on driving up to locate it. She said the app put her within 25’ of where we were camped and she could hear the ipad pinging when she was close to our door.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03 AM   #9

We were living in a campground in Tabor City NC and on a morning walk I noticed a family pulling out with their rig. I also noticed that they left their 30amp female to 50amp male dogbone draped over the pedestal. When I told the driver he was forgetting something he told me he didn't need no help from a damn yankee and drove off. I still use it. Very nice piece as it has a low profile head that allows the covers to close all the way.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
We were living in a campground in Tabor City NC and on a morning walk I noticed a family pulling out with their rig. I also noticed that they left their 30amp female to 50amp male dogbone draped over the pedestal. When I told the driver he was forgetting something he told me he didn't need no help from a damn yankee and drove off. I still use it. Very nice piece as it has a low profile head that allows the covers to close all the way.
Do you overnite at the Walmarts on your back to your home planet?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #11

Camphost over summers--when something is found left in a campsite (always check when they vacate) I have access to their phone number. Many times they reply 'Keep it'--have not yet had one say they wanted something sent back to them. Most times, they go to a Lost/Found area for later auction for funds for the CG.

Another lost/found story--Bud and I are wandering around Girdwood, AK, and he lost his phone somewhere. Easy to find? with Find My Friends, except my phone and his were not 'friends', but couple we knew back in OKC were 'friends' with that phone. Using a phone in OKC to pinpoint the area where the phone was, she got us close enough to hear it ringing...that doesn't happen everyday.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #12

Never found anything left behind except for trash and some charred wood in firepits

BUT I have left behind a few items that next camper HAD to have found
Watts Water pressure Regulator
18" Potable Water Hose
Blue slightly used Carbon Filter
30A/50A adapter (was that you Martian ---- )
Racketing wrench used to tighten/loosen X-Chocks
Small folding wood slat table

But that has been over the course of Many Years Camping/RVing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #13

Most of what we've left behind has been small children's toys, like matchbox cars, toy horses, etc. The kids would play with them at random spots in the campsite and we didn't always notice them when picking up before leaving.

I've also found some things too.

Once found a pressure regulator and 18" potable water hose. Too short to really be useful though. Oh, and a 30A/50A adapter! The best thing though was that really nice wood slat table!

(j/k on the found stuff )
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

We don't do Walmarts. We don't want to compete with their aliens. And yes, we part time on the home planet. Need to go somewhere with intelligent life once in a while. And if Old Biscuit was at Daddy Joe's and told me what I was told, you didn't leave it you gave it away.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping