Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
I know this thread wasn't about flying j but so many comments have been made about flying j that
I would like to add mine.......I used to work down the street from flying j just inside aurora colorado off the I70 and typically liked
to stop there for my gas because it was so much cheaper. However, it did take forever to get gas because they would not let you use your card at the pump, you had to go inside and prepay your gas and that meant you had to wait in line. They never had enough cashiers for you
to just pay for your gas and go. Everybody did
their shopping. I just think alot of the problem
could have been solved by allowing the card to be used at the pump. They prefer you come in and buy stuff, spend more money. Are the other flying j's like this as far as not being able to
use the card at the pump?
cameo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #30

The story that Flying Js' are a boon for RVers is false. All your horror stories are true, and I could tell you a few more. I'd rather run out of gas than stop at a Flying J.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #31
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I use Flying J's whenever possible, but I always use the truck pumps.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem in part is Flying J not enforcing the use of the pumps and keeping them open for RV use. The other part of the problem is the people that feel they can do anything they wish to.

No one ever said you had to be smart to own an RV...just enough money or good credit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So far, good experience with F-J.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Many of the card readers at the Flying J's are antiquated and won't read the cards. When traveling we stop at FJ's when available and have been told my card has a bad magnetic strip, that I should wipe it off before using it, and also that I put it in my wallet incorrectly compromising the magnetic strip.
It's funny to me because the card works fine before using it at FJ and continues to work fine at other places after the FIJI. They just don't seem to have a clue that their equipment may be the culprit.

But, having said that, I still like to use the FJ's because as a corporation they're supportive of RVers. Just the fact that they go to the expense of installing a separate RV island with fuel, water, sewage dump facility, propane, and compressed air is one thing that's indicative of their desire to obtain the RV'rs business. The offering of discounts with the FJ RV'rs card is another.

How many other brand truck stops have you seen with an RV island?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 AM   #35

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
My biggest oet oeeve is getting a bad rep just because I take my kids and dog camping. I will agree that dogs and kids can be the biggest source of aggrevation in a campground, but please do not stereo type dog owners and parents because there are SOME bad ones out there. We have a dog that is an ioncredible camping pet. We do aloow our dog to be off leash on our site at times and she does know here boundries, and we keep a very close eye on her. if she even seems to be thinking about leaving our site, she goes on the leash. While walking her, we poopy bags attached to the leash and clean up after, even if we are on a hike in the woods, we clean up after her. We do use one of the long retractable leashes, but keep it 6' or shorter in the campground. If we are in the woods and nobody is around, we will let her run but keep her with us, and if other people or other dogs are around, she is on a short leash. As for our kids, we stress every camping trip proper camping etiquette. Clean up after yourself, DO NOT go on other campsites unless invited. Kids are kids and can get lound, and when our kids do we let them know they are getting too loud. So my peeve is the irresponsible parents and pet owners, and the people who look down on me because of the irresponsible parent and pet owners.

As for FJ's, the ones I have used have been very nice and have modern pumps with card readers that work fine. What aggrevates me more than the cars at the RV pump, is the RV at the car pumps tying up 2-3 pumps at a time. They need to police both the RV and car pumps to make sure they are both being used appropriately.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 AM   #36

Though I suppose it is the topic of this thread, reading all this stuff got kind of depressing...

Though we've all apparently ran into some inconsiderate jerks, looking back I'd have to say the majority of people I've met camping are friendly, considerate and thoughtful. I hope everyone else's experience RVing has been similar.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:38 AM   #37

A couple of things that bother me: Kids, or adults, that have to have a catch with balls, Frisbees, etc. near my coach. A loose throw can cause damage. The Jeep has a scuff on the hood from a Frisbee.

Same with campgrounds cutting grass around my coach with the chute deflector tied open or missing. Got hit once causing a chip in the back. If it were a basement door, it would have been a dent. Can't remember how many times I've had to wipe grass from my wheels if they weren't covered.

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #38

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I like to support Flying J as they support the RV'ers.
When I pull into a location I always look over the RV section and get in line. BUT I leave enough room to get out. After waiting for the inconsiderate to fuel, go inside, etc. and I have had enough I move to the car lane.
The pumps in many locations are old and need repair, reject cards, thus you have to go inside and wait in line, this adds to the long delay.
Recently if a Location is busy, I will bypass and fill at another station.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #39

One word.....PIGS! We just returned from a week at
a riverside campground. It is a nice facility except that it has a large number of tent campers.
Every morning the cleanup guy has to spend several hours cleaning up all the trash, broken bottles, dirty diapers etc that are thrown down and left all over the beach and public areas. In addition the restrooms are left in the same mess. It is not hard to clean up after yourself and people that just leave their mess for others to deal with should be tossed in the dumpster along with their trash!!!!!
You say Redneck like it is a bad thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #40

I am reading this forum topic ( Camping Manners ) to learn more about the campgrounds out there and which ones to go to and which ones to avoid when I get my coach later this summer.

Personally I would prefer to hear more about the positive campgrounds that are clean, quiet and properly setup utilities. Their is too much negative news already with the TV & Newspapers, etc..

Lets hear more good news and hopefully it will spread.

Maybe I am just too optimistic, Naa. It is half full, NOT HALF EMPTY.

IronRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #41

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Personally I would prefer to hear more about the positive campgrounds that are clean, quiet and properly setup utilities. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Our Campground Reviews section is a great place to obtain positive information on campgrounds in nearly every state.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #42

I guess i agree with you guiys on the points made.
we clean up after our dog...keep him in our site..put a bark colar on him..ect.
I hate people cutting through our site..biggest peave!!
Also having people put there LOUD kids out at 6 am to scream...or visit the neibours.
we can't afford much but why do some campers think they need to point out how old our camper/rv is. we know.It is in good shape and we pay the same as everyone else.So your jokes are not funny.
Just like to relax watch the sky, have a little fire, read, and have a late night walk without security following the poor campers!

Owners of a 27 ft 1975
veercan is offline   Reply With Quote